University of Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Richmond

Daniel

The small classes are definitely a huge positive for Richmond, and the campus is simply stunning, it is so beautiful, but a $1.5+ billion endowment helps. The size is great because you can always go to the dining hall and find someone you know, but you will still see plenty of people you don't know. Most students live on campus throughout their career, and the new gym is very popular, as kids like to stay fit and look good. The library and other study spots are quite popular during the week as social spots, but Thursday through Saturday the scene shift to the apartments or fraternity lodges. The city of Richmond is awesome if you can get out of the UR "bubble." Without a car its hard to really experience the city. You can always find a way to get to the local Ukrops and CVS, but downtown in Carytown and Shockoe Slip have great night life and amazing food of all different kinds. The New Toad's Place and The National are also two hot venues with big name artists every week. The Dean's are generally pretty warm to students, but in the past the administration has not seemed to care much about students, just rankings and money. However with our new president, Dr. Ayers, who brings his Tennessee charm to Richmond, the future looks bright. Unfortunately the sports are only attended when the teams are doing well, and there is no on campus football stadium, but there will be by 2010.

Students are all pretty much white and somewhat dress up although it really depends. Polo shirts and dresses/skirts are not uncommon to wear to class everyday, but sweats and stuff are also well represented, especially in the colder months. There is often a disconnect between students and the general athlete population, and fraternities often stick together. Students are a mix of political views and political awareness is somewhat a part of campus, but at the same time students are so busy actual action is stunted by general apathy.

The coordinate college system, of Richmond College (men) and Westhampton College (women) allow for a lot of involvement opportunities for both sexes, but also contributes to the sometimes lack of interaction between sexes. It is a great for students and they often find their niche. The first two years may be a little rough, but one junior and senior year roles around, people put aside their fraternity loyalties and such and just want to have fun. Also most kids go abroad junior year, especially in the fall, and the campus can become void of a lot of juniors, but those who do stay become very close. However the abroad opportunities are strongly encouraged and unlimited. Also ring dance, a Junior female tradition of basically a debutant ball at the historic Jefferson hotel downtown, is always an amazing night with your whole class, and a tradition students love.

Well there a significant amount of northern kids, and kids from wealthy backgrounds, but there are an increasingly large amount of kids receiving financial aid, and there are kids from all over. There is also increasing diversity, but yeah kids are still all out of J. Crew and Vineyard Vines magazines.

The professors are generally caring about students, of course some more than others. The class sizes are kept small and there are no big lecture halls at all. Students study hard during the week, but the atmosphere is very noncompetitive, and students always look to help each other out. Professors often learn students name, and love talking outside of class. There is definitely no grade inflation, and A's are not easy to get in many classes, but B's are. There is a lot of help from the Career Development Center to get jobs, especially with our top 20 business school. Also the uniqueness of our Jepson School for Leadership Studies is a great and unique opportunity to study something very different.

Fraternity Parties are usually the biggest events on weekends. Pg Roast is a huge celebration in the spring where all the fraternity lodges open up and virtually the who campus puts on ties and sundresses and spends an afternoon drinking. Dating can be tough, with single-sex residence halls, and the main place to meet people is in the library, or at weekend parties, where people are usually shit-faced. During the week most kids are in the library/studying. It is a very work-hard play-hard school. Fraternities are very popular for partying, but most times they are not overly exclusive, and if you are friends with some of the brothers, it is not hard to hang out with the guys and go to their parties. there are always programs going on, students often say the campus is "over-programed" with 12 different events being put on every night. Some of them can be really interesting, but it is always a struggle to get people to attend. Since so many people live on campus, the social life usually revolves round on campus stuff, and most people do not leave on weekends.

The University of "Rich-men," Everyones from New Jersey, A bunch of Northeastern rich kids, Very preppy, "Minorities, oh yeah we have those, they are on the football team"

Madison

It is the "Hottest School for International Studies" This is definately true, study abroad programs are excellent and around 70% of people go abroad. The International Studies major is very popular and highly effective. Many international students also bring a great flavor. I hate how you can't get cell phone service on campus unless it's Cingular. I have Verizon and have dropped calls all the time! I love that it's a small liberal arts focused school. The professors actually know you and care about you. Richmond students get to do so much research that is unheard of at big state schools. Being in the city of Richmond is great because we're close to DC and there are so many internships and jobs available downtown. Our Athletics are Division 1 and our football team beat DUKE and made it to the semifinals for the conference last year.

Richmond is often described as the University of Richmen. But I'm not a rich man. I suspect it gets this reputation partially b/c after I graduate, I'll have the opportunity to become a rich man. I've been very pleased with the religious life on campus with numerous opportunities for involvement. There is also a large number of students involved in community service which is coordinated by the Center for Civic Engagement. You can wear what you want to class or around campus and people don't really care, there's a kind of motto of "Do You" do what you want and what you like, we can look deeper than skin color or clothing and realize that people are more than they seem. People aren't big on protests or anything and seem to stay neutral with political issues, but there are definately a few vocal minorities on each side.

yes and no. Most of them are superficial stereotypes (as usual) however, underneath and in reality, Richmond students have a great deal of variety in personalities, preferences, and experiences.

The professors absolutely know your name. They're so understanding and will grant overrides and give you extensions on papers. I loved my history class with a visiting professor from the UK that had us do a simulation of Model European Union. We have even had classes outside before and I know some professors invite students to their homes. The professors are all so well qualified. Pretty much 87% went to an Ivy Leauge or equivalent for their PhDs. They are also respected researchers and writers in their fields. The academic requirements aren't bad at all. I met most of them with AP credit.

The International Club is known for its socials. Of course Frats and Sororities have their socials and weekend parties too, but the lodges are dirty and gross so the apartments are pretty popular too. It's very safe on campus and people can walk around campus at all hours of the day and night. When people are in the room the door is often open, but definately locked when they go to class. I met my best friends from my roommate and classes and clubs, everything seems to converge. Guest Speakers can be great if you have time to go. Drinking is not as prevalent or as pressured as most people would assume. Great place to come to get married or find your future mate!

Polos in every color, collars popped. Way too much Vera Bradley and Vineyard Vines. NJ, PA, NY & New England dominate Overworked and overcommitted We live in a bubble

Ryan

There is not a lot that goes on here other than academics. The party life is nothing special.

Don't go here if you are looking for an amazing time with a lot of parties. Some of the people are fun to be around, and it seems like if you want to be "in" you have to be involved with greek life.

Very hard, and take a lot of time if you're thinking about any A's

Frats and sororities seem to be the things to do

The "normal" students are usually a buch of slappys that belong in fratts.

Kevin

The best thing about Richmond in my opinion is football because that is the only thing that keeps me sane here other than my friends. If I could change something here it would be to make people more open minded to others instead of holding pre-perceptions of people without even knowing them as people. In comparison to other school Richmond os considered a small school, but I think it's just right. The fact that I am black people who do not know me generally ask do I play a sport which pisses me off because they feel that is the only way that I could possible be at a prestigous school. Richmond's administration reflects the student population which is majority white which comes with the same racial problems. The biggest recent controversy was the hanging of a black doll in a theatre classroom which the richmond administration tried to cover-up. They discovered it and waited three and a half weeks before they notified the students of what happened in means for the students to be passive about the event which angers me beyond measure. Hell no there is no school pride, students here are stuck up rich kids who take pride in drinking and partying. The have more spirit for alcoholic beverages than their own school and sports teams. The unusual thing about Richmond is the lack of support for athletics. I will always remember the first time I was called a nigger at the University of Richmond and how I almost destroyed the lives of a couple students with the thought to hospitalize them. The most frequent student complaints have been directed at the administration for the lack of ability to handle situations on-campus such as the hanging doll incident. Minorities especially black kids on this campus have lost trust in our head officials do to their passive approaches to all the racial incidents that have occured on this campus. No one gets punished and the president write e-mails to everyone talking about his sadness and how we as a community need to grow and learn from these events. I say that is bullshit some action needs to be taken so kids commiting these racist acts know it will not be tolerated. It does not take a genius to understand that if someone does something and gets away with it, someone will try to do the same thing. Our administration lacks the strength and will to want to create change here and that is what pisses me off being an person of color at this school. I do personally feel white people do not want black people here. I will sat that all white people here have not been snobbish; I have a numerous amount of white friends. Due to me being a ver social person with an open and fun personality, I mesh well with generally everyone, but others who do not step outside their boundaries remain sheltered from other students. I question my choice of accepting my scholarship here due to the resentment of people here, but I hold me head high everyday to let them know I will continue to strive for success no matter how hard they try to hold me back. I will achieve what I came here to do with or wothout them resentment.

I have experienced numerous amoung of racial issues from being called a nigger to the hanging of a black doll. I am the type of person who will not crack under these circumstance, quite frankly it makes me stronger. A minority student would feel out of place at Richmond. Most students wear prep type clothing, meaning polos, colorful sundresses, and northface. Different types of students interact, but it is not an everyday thing unless it is the same people. You will not see campus-wide interactions between different types of students. One table you have the athletes which generally is integrated, one is the frats which are all white, one the sororites which are mostly all white, and the last one can be either an all black or an all white table, take your pick. You rarely see a mixed table other than the football and basketball tables. The majority are rich financial backgrounds. I am really not sure how politically active they are.

I feel that the stundents along with the faculty/administartors have much to learn about equality for all people. They fail to realize how much of true assholes they are beginning to show as events of racism continue to occur hear dealt with unfairly. Minorities understand the majoirty is white, but we will not submit to just rolling over and accepting these injustices. I belive this school can change, but those hear do not want to change.

Not all the white students feel that way, but a large portion of the white student population feels that way. Contrary to their beliefs the black people here are just as intelligent as them or they would not be there and as far as athletics, most of them are mad because they cannot play them anymore

Since I am an athlete that has done very well here athletically and academically, professor do in fact know who I am. My favorite class is a tie between foundations of Education and Journalism. My least favorite class was our mandatory CORE class. Students study here all the time, it is hard to find a time when the libraries are not packed. Yes class participation here is very common. Many teachers base large portions of grades on participation so that students get the complete fufillment from the class. I do believe students have intellectual conversations outside of class due to this being a private school with high standards. Students are very competitive. The most unique class I have taken is Theatre-Performance Ensemble. My major is Sociology with a concentration in Power, Inequalities, and Diversity. I am also minoring in history and business. I do not spend much time with professors out of class, but I do spend time with a couple professors and some occasions. I feel Richmond's academic requirements are ridiculous to some extent, but being a private school they feel they are necessary. The education at Richmond is definitely for getting a job. Businesses and job opportunities respect a person with a university of Richmond degree due to the prestigiousness of this school.

The most popular groups are probably the football team or the fraternities/sororities. I am involved with the football team. Yes some students in the dorms leave their doors open. Sports games are not so popular along with theatre, but guest speakers sometimes receive nice turnouts. I am not wrapped up in the datung scene, but I would say scandalis. I met my closet friends by interacting with them and showing them that I was not the person they thought I was going to be when they first looked at me. Either bullshitting on my laptop or in one of my friends' rooms talking. The traditions and events that happen each year is the football teams spring game and the festival we call pigroast where people get drunk in the morning starting around 9 a.m. People party at least4 times a week at least. They are inportant to those wrapped up in them, but to me the fraternities here do not have my full attention at all due to their resentment of athletes. Last weekend I got drunk friday and saturday, friday went to a couples different parties around campus, and saturday I went to a fraternity lodge and then to an after-party at an apartment on-campus. Watch other people have fun drinking or go to the library and wish you were drinking with your friends. I go to the movies, bowling, out to eat, or hangout and chill with off-campus friends.

The white students feel that black people do not belong their, or did not work hard to get their because they are on academic scholarship.

Alex

The best thing about Richmond is the campus. It's the most beautiful college campus I have ever seen. No matter what season it is, I always stop and just think, "I can't believe I go here. It's gorgeous". The lake is a great central feature of campus with a bridge on one side and the Commons on the other. Richmond is a small-sized college but so far I don't think it's too small. I like walking to class and seeing familiar faces. Small class sizes (20 students or less) are conducive to learning, make class participation not seem so scary, and helps form better relationships with teachers so going to them for extra help isn't intimidating.

While you will find some preppy boys and girls on campus wearing polos, madras shorts, sun dresses, and Rainbow sandals, most students wear jeans a a T-shirt to class or gym clothes. Most students work out on a regular basis because our gym is so nice. It has really convenient hours (6am-12 midnight), and tons of machines. There is also racquet courts, basketball courts, a swimming pool, tons of cardio classes, an indoor track, and a co-ed sauna. Most Richmond students come from the Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York area. But you can find students from all over the United States and from other parts of the world too.

This is not accurate at all. Richmond is not the most diversified school out there; the student population is 10% not white. But students come from a variety of different backgrounds: from upper to lower class families, students from the city to students from rural areas, and even students from different countries. You really do not have to worry about not fitting in. Walking to class you'll find pass a Goth girl, a punk kid, a preppy boy, and a jock. Since the student population is so small, you get to know a lot of different people. It's nice to be about to walk to class and see a few smiling familiar faces.

Since most classes are so small, teachers know your name very quickly. You also learn the names of people in your class very quickly too. This helps with class participation. Class participation is very common in all of the classes I have taken at Richmond and normally make up a significant portion of my final grade. Students do engage in intellectual conversations outside class. Core is the freshman english class which all freshman must take. Each class reads the same books at the same time, so outside of class it is really easy to talk to other freshman about what is happening in Core class. Whether it's complaining about how boring the book was or a surprise ending, freshman normally bring up class discussions outside of class. I have learned a lot of interesting things in my Sociology 101 class. I find myself saying "today in Sociology....." very often at the dinner table. It normally sparks more intellectual conversations amongst my friends.

Athletic events are pretty popular on campus. Most students at least stop by for a little and cheer. The sport with the most spectators is definitely football. The football games are so much fun. The field is off campus but most students find a way to get there way before the game even starts. Weekends here are always fun. At least one fraternity hosts a lodge each weekend night. Our fraternities do not live together in houses on campus, however, each fraternity has a lodge. No one lives there but its a place for them to throw parties. They normally consist of huge dance parties which are always a lot of fun. For girls there is a shuttle around campus after 7pm. You can call the Spider Safety Shuttle at any time after seven and get a ride to anywhere on campus. It helps promote safety and is more often used as a lazy bus because our campus is so so safe. Fraternities and sororities are not the most important thing on campus. I decided not to join a sorority but almost all of my friends joined. I do not regret my decision. I am always welcome at fraternities even though I'm not in a sorority, and I still have a lot of girl friends who are in sororities. The campus also hosts many non-drinking events on campus. Every Thursday-Sunday night there is a feature film playing in the Commons. The improv comedy group has a few hilarious performances a semester, the a cappella groups are amazing, and there is always something going on in the Modlin Center.

A stereotype about Richmond is that the students are all white, rich, and snotty. They wear their high fashion polos, spend daddy's money, and look down upon those less fortunate.

Jeff

The best thing about Richmond is the small size. You really get to know people, and when you meet someone, you can rest assured that you will run into them again. That said, the small size can sometimes make you feel like your social options are limited, but in the end you can have fun no matter what. The campus is in the suburbs outside of Richmond city proper, which can be kind of annoying if you don't have a car, but you'll probably have friends who do and then can go and do all kinds of fun stuff in the city. The campus itself is breathtakingly beautiful, it's truly a pleasure to walk to class during the fall and spring months. There doesn't seem to be much school pride, which is one of the few things I would like to see change here. We have a fantastic dining hall with reasonable hours from 7 in the morning to 8 at night, as well as a fast food restaurant and a pub that's open every night until midnight or one o'clock.

At first glance Richmond seems to have a very homogenous student body. But once you get past the very visible preppy crowds, you can find people of every kind. You can get away with wearing just about anything to class short of all-black goth attire, which is just about the only kind of person that would truly feel out of place at Richmond. Students definitely have their own groups of friends who they hang out with primarily, but most people here are very friendly, and its very easy to make new friends and to hang out with groups of people you probably wouldn't have in high school. Unfortunately there is very little race interaction on campus. There is no animosty between any racial groups, but everyone seems to be more comfortable hanging out with people they can easily identify with. Everyone here is very intelligent and in depth discussions on complex topics are not uncommon.

If I could change one thing about the University of Richmond, that would easily be abolishing fraternities. They do nothing but segregate the campus, foster a culture of exclusion, and cramp the social scene. But, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon since so many people here seem to love them. Although I love the people here, there is still a decent chunk of them that I could easily do without. That said, the friends I have made here are so amazing, they have made every second of my college experience here a blast. While this University has decided disadvantages, I am very happy with my decision to come here, because realistically, what school doesn't? Anyone with a passion for learning as well as a desire to have some fun and meet amazing people would be at home here.

In some sense. The bulk of the students here do come from the Northeast and New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and yes many of them are very "bro-tastic," but if that's not what you're into, there are people here of every type, race, background and they're all very intelligent and fun to hang out with

Richmond is very academically rigorous, although you can of course structure your own schedule to affect how much work you'll be doing. The professors here are excellent. They care a great deal about the education of their students and are all extremely intelligent. Class participation is big. There is a class called CORE that all Freshmen have to take where we study famous authors of fiction and nonfiction from all different regions and time periods. It's a really cool idea, but it can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Considering the school's small size there are many majors and classes to choose from.

As far as activities on campus go, there is something for just about everyone. Unfortunately, for many people this is Greek life. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Greek culture, but at a school this size it just seems absurd. Everyone who joins a frat or sorority seems to get pigeon-holed into that one category. As a result, Frats dominate the social scene, which can sometime seem to leave little room for anything else. However, you really can make your own fun. I live in a building of 300 guys, and I know people on every hall of the building, so it's not hard to find something to do. My roomate and I built a fold out beer pong table for our room, and our weekends have been much more exciting ever since. There are plenty of cultural and social events on campus that don't involve drinking if that's not your thing. Off campus, there are two great concert venues that draw some pretty fantastic acts, among other things.

Students from the Northeast and New Jersey coming from wealthy families wearing popped collars and boatshoes 24/7

Mel

UR is a good size; there's enough people to meet someone new every weekend. Of course, it's so small that you're guarenteed to see that person in d-hall on Monday, and more times than not, that person will pretend that you two didn't bond over a can of Beast in the back room of one of the apartments last Friday night. The social scene can be pretty weird. The city of Richmond is pretty cool, but most students only go to the city to visit the bars. UR is trying to make transportation into the city, but it's still a lot easier to do anything if you have a car. When meeting people from the city or students from Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), you need to be cautious before saying you're from UR. They automatically assume that you're going to be a pompous jerk. The most recent controversy that got people really fired up was over sidewalk chalk in the Forum (a big brick circle in the middle of campus). The school could have charged some first-year guys with vandalism, but instead sentenced them to six hours of community service--and the student body couldn't believe that they were punished at all. Because of that incidence, we are now allowed to use chalk in the Forum, and those of us who spend our days being outraged about things that matter are shaking our heads in disbelief.

Politically speaking, most of the campus seems pretty apathetic. If forced to choose, they would probably choose a moderate-to-conservative stance. Political students do exist here (I'm one of them), though it can be a frustrating climate for activists sometimes. The LGBT scene is scant. There's two gay bars in the city and they definitely have their regulars. There's more gay men on campus than there are lesbians, and all of the queer kids band together. The racial divide can be quite evident, and a few incidents that happened on campus during hte 07-08 school year proved how ignorant, and possibly hateful, some people can be. On Halloween, a student dressed in blackface; in the spring, someone hanged a black doll in the theatre department with the message, "Art is dead! Long live art!" These incidents were handled well by the administration; President Ayers issued statements explaining why these were offensive, since those who did it didn't seem to understand the history that follows those acts. The student body also pulled together; a new group called "UR Concerned: Spiders for a More Inclusive Campus" started and has been working towards creating awareness around the racial issues on our campus.

To a certain extent, yes. When looking around campus, it seems as though the sorority sisters and frat bros dressed in J.Crew are everywhere. When you look a bit closer, however, there are people who don't feel the need to join in the Greek life or dress as though they've stepped out of a Polo catalog. There's also a big divide between those who can afford the school and those who can't: You either come here on an amazing grant or scholarship, or your family can afford $45,000+ every year. Those in the middle generally complain that the school's formula finds their family's finances to be more than what's really there, leaving the family in debt.

The classes are small, meaning that professors know who you are. They push you to do your best but help you out if you need it. All first years are required to take is CORE: The Human Experience. Students read books from a variety of disciplines and discuss. Your experience with Core depends on who you have as a professor: some classes bond and have reunions over their four years at UR; other people get stuck with a computer science professor and get nothing out of it or have an English professor and have to work their butts off. No one really enjoys the course, however; the school keeps it on to make us look more "competitive" against similar schools. With all of my complaints about the college social scene here, my academic experience has been wonderful. I love my classes and have learned so much.

One of UR's claims to fame is the Women Involved in Living and Learning (WILL) program, the first of its kind in the nation. It's a co-curricular feminist organization (though not all of our members identify as feminists). Members are required to minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, though many choose to major in WGSS. Involvement in WILL been one of the defining experiences of my time at UR. I've met almost all of my close friends through WILL. While some people try to make the "feminist = lesbian" conclusion, there's no better group to join if you want to feel okay about being feminist and girly. We're overprogrammed on this campus; there's never a question of if there's something to do, but what to do out of all of the choices. Because of this, however, most programs aren't very well attended--people are too busy with the programs their group is planning. Greek life is definitely big here, but it's easy to meet people without being a part of the scene. Partying is big, though we're not exactly a "party school" compared to the big ones. If you don't drink, there's always something to do earlier on in the evening; you'll be on your own after 10 though.

We're the University of Rich-Men, preppy white private-school kids from the northeast and New Jersey. We don't engage in the actual city of Richmond; we'd rather drink in our little bubble in the West End.

Kaitlin

Richmond is generally small, if you've done something embarassing over the weekend, people are going to hear about it. On the plus side, the small campus makes for small class sizes which is really beneficial for student-teacher relations. Richmond social life is also pretty centered around the fraternities and sororities. If you choose to be in a sorority, those girls will be your only friends, and you will only hang out with frat guys. Most of my time on campus i spent either in dhall, or in the library. This is not really a college town, per say, but more of a "Richmond bubble" as it is referred to. Most of a Richmond's student life will be on campus. The school pride at Richmond is, to be frank, completely lacking. This might stem from the whole having a Spider as a mascot thing, but generally it is because we are not that great at sports and do not have a football team on campus. Richmond does have a GORGEOUS campus on the plus side, making for a great time in the fall and spring.

The campus is extremely homogenous. Generally students are white, well-off, and wear polo on a daily basis. Anyone who is a "hippie" type or an intellectual will probably feel out of place at Richmond. Girls generally dress up for class, in the warmer weather, they typically wear dresses around campus. In the winter, UGGS, the latest expensive designer, and JCrew are staples. Boys can generally get away with deisel jeans, or polo pants, with a t-shirt or lacoste/polo shirt. Students at Richmond generally stick to their own social groups and do not really intermingle. Like the movie Mean Girls, certain social groups have their typical place in dhall. Even though Richmond is located in the capital of the Confederacy, most students are from New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, basically anywhere up North. Most students here are rather conservative, though they do not actively support any causes whatsoever.

For about 7/8th's of the population, yes.

Academics at Richmond are excellent. There are definitely blow off majors, but there are also extremely tough majors (like b-school for example). The professors definitely know your name because class sizes are kept on the smaller size, which is a really great plus. Class participation really depends on the dynamic of the class, usually the upper-classes have more participation because people are truly interested in what they are learning in the class. Richmond students generally do not have intellectual conversations outside of class and are not competitive with one another. However, there is a large amount of pressure to preform well. The b-school would be the most competitive school on campus as students are competing for the same internships. It is also known as one of the more difficult schools in Richmond, along side our science programs. The b-school also requires a large amount of credits for any degree.

Fraternities and Sororities are the most popular organizations on campus. Most other clubs do not nearly have the membership that frats and sororities do. Because of this, the weekend social scene generally is driven around fraternity parties. People generally party on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Besides hanging out with the Christian groups on campus, most all events on the weekend involve drinking. On the weekdays, people are typically very bogged down with work, so they'll be up late doing homework, not partying. The big party every year is Festivus aka Pig Roast. This is an event where everyone on campus dressed up in the preppy best (girls wearing Lily Pullitzer and boys in the vineyard vines ties and rainbows) wake up at 8 AM, and start drinking, go to the fraternity lodges on campus around nooon for some roasted pig and some dancing/general socializing, pass out around 2 or 3, and then get up and keep going all night. This is typically in early April when the weather is finally warm enough to go out.

All Richmond students are extremely preppy and rich.

Fred

Richmond is a great school, it is moving up and will soon be at the level of the ivy league schools. The academics are very hard, the professors are mainly very hard but very nice, they give you the oppurtunities to suceed, you just have to take advantage of them. People always seem impressed when you tell them you go to Richmond. Most people live on campus all four years and people rarely leave campus except to go to bars or clubs. The largest problem is the administration and its disdain for partying. Hopefully the school wakes up lightens up. Another problem is a lack of school spirit and the apathy of the student body. This will probably change when the oncampus football stadium is completed in 2010.

There is diversity on campus despite the rumors. I feel that Richmond has a place for everyone. Many students wear "preppy" clothes to class. Many students are wealthy and from the northeast although this is changing. The students are politically aware and lean slightly to the right.

Richmond is a place I hated at first but have grown to like and even started to love. Take a look at it and if you truly want to learn and meet some very interesting people this is the place for you. They set you up with success for the rest of your life, there is a reason why this is one of the best schools in America.

Not by any means. The school has made diverisity an important factor and has been very succesful. The students are also very friendly.

I know all my professors names. The classes are very small and you build a great relationship with them. Students are not very competitive but we have to study all the time because of the heavy academic load. Conversations about academics outside of class our common and really contribute to the learning experience. Class participation is something that is very important because of the small class sizes. I'm a business major and the business school here is incredible. The professors are all amazing and very accomplished. They know there stuff and go out of thier way to help you succeed.

Social life is Richmond's largest downfall. Greek life is huge but everyone can find a place through club sports teams or one of the many other clubs on campus. The party scene is being heavily regulated by the adminstration and it puts a huge damper on the weekends. Students still find a way to party plenty. The enviroment is very play very hard work very hard.

That we are white, wealthy, and inclusive

Colin

I love the size of Richmond. It may be just me, but 3,500 is just about perfect. It's just small enough to walk around campus and know a lot of the students, and professors for that matter, but just big enough to not feel like you're seeing the same people everyday, everywhere. I feel a lack of school pride when it comes to sporting events. I come from a big high school where sports were well attended and a big part of school life. At Richmond the sporting events are secondary to pretty much everything else. I'd love for more people to attend the sports games.

At Richmond the white, upper class portion of the socio-economic scale is definately the most prominent. I think that, for many minority students, it's a little disconcerting during the first few weeks. However, I've got many friends who aren't white or upper class. My friend, who happens to be African American, told me that during orientation he thought he would hate it here because he felt out of place. After the first week, however, he felt comfortable and happy. Different types of students deffinately interact on campus. It's not a matter of excluding people based on looks or anything, I think groups here are formed on interests and personalities.

I love Richmond. The people I've met here are great and it seems like everyone is actually genuinely interested in hearing what you have to say.

For a lot of students they are. I'd say about 85% of students wear preppy clothes pretty much year round (especially in warm weather). It's not stuck up though. I think most kids come here getting some assistance in paying and the ones that don't are smart enough to realize that they're lucky to have enough money to do that. It's not like people don't understand what an opportunity they've got.

Richmond has a great student to faculty ratio and this allows for every professor I've had to know my name. So far I haven't had a class over 30 students and most have been right around 20. It's great because the small class environment lends itself to great discussion. Studytime at Richmond depends on the person, and the major. I'm not pre-med but I've got friends who are and they are, by far, doing the most work. I think the combination of Chemistry, Biology, and Calculus sets them up for a rough schedule. But as for me, I do a lot of things besides study or do work. I've got plenty of time, most often, to get my work done and enjoy a lot of free time (outside of finals week).

I know in my hall, at least, when people are in them the doors are always open. It's been like that since the first week which is nice because Richmond does a great job of pairing up halls with people who have similar interests. All of my best friends live on my hall. At 2am on Tuesday, if I'm up which is unlikely, I'm probably doing work. Tuesday night is not a party night. Traditions: Pig Roast... The party schedule is on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday basis for the most part. Thursday's are a lot of socials (like dances) and then Friday and Saturday is when the frats open up their lodges. Fraternities host most of the big parties (like the lodges) but if you're not in a frat you can still get in and have fun. I'm not in a frat but I've got pretty much a friend in each one so it's fine.

Many people see the typical Richmond student as the preppy, white, upper class kid who wears Polo, Lacoste, JCrew. When you think Richmond, you think preppy. I think, because of the tuition cost, people usually stereotype Richmond students as stuck up, disconnected from the real world by money.

University of Richmond administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.