University of Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Richmond

Alex

The truth of the matter is that the rich, northern, preppy kids are the most obnoxious, so people notice them first. Beyond that, Richmond has much more diversity than students give credit for. Maybe this is because they don't take the time to get to know the other people around them. Beyond skin color, there is a diversity of ethnicity, background, and interests that is often silenced by the internal stereotypes. As for the studying, Richmond students are academically challenged, but we also make time to have fun.

Classes at Richmond are fantastic. I have never had a professor who didn't know my name. Small class sizes are the norm here (my personal largest class was 30 people in Microeconomics). Classes are very intense. Students are required to do significant amounts of reading and participate in intense discussion. Luckily, this allows conversation to move outside of the classroom. In the midst of high personal academic standards, students remain cooperative. This is one of the things I love most about Richmond. It is very easy for students with high standards to become competitive and ignore the needs of classmates. Instead, Richmond students are very willing to help each other so that all students can have the best academic experience possible.

There is this belief that all Richmond students are rich, northern, preppy kids. We're too busy studying to have fun, they say.

The best thing about Richmond is the amount of opportunity available despite the size. Although it's a small school, the location is wonderful for connections, and the attention from the professors really helps a student's development. One thing I would change about Richmond is the sticker price...it turns off a lot of great students who could change the face of the university. People generally have never heard of U of R if they're from my hometown, or think it's UVA. In Virginia, they are usually impressed. The city and area around the campus are wonderful, but students really don't take much advantage of all it has to offer. Richmond's administration has really changed for the better with new president Ayers, who is a lot more attentive to student needs. UR really doesn't have a lot of school spirit, even though our sports teams are Div I. A lot of people traveled to see the football team play five hours ago in the NCAA playoffs, though!

If you don't fit the preppy Richmond stereotype, you may feel out of place. It's not unusual for people to really dress up for class...think sundresses in March. Polo shirts are popular. Pajamas and sweats are never seen in class. Most UR students are either from Virginia or from the Mid-Atlantic, and are well-off. Students tend to be more politically apathetic than aware. Racial/religious/LGBT groups tend to form cliques because it's harder for them to get accepted by the rest of the student body. The student body in general is cliquey and it's hard to make new friends after freshman year.

The stereotypes are somewhat accurate. The preppy frat boy or sorority girl is a person that appears very frequently on the Richmond campus, but more than half the school is not Greek, and 80% of it is not from New Jersey, even though it doesn't seem that way. However, there are many students (perhaps less visible) who do not fit the typical J. Crew stereotype. The school gives out so much financial aid that almost everyone here is getting some sort of help paying for school--not everyone is wealthy.

Academics at Richmond are really a major strength of the school. All my professors know my name within days, and remember me after I've taken a class with them. Classes are difficult, and you have to study a lot. Class participation is one of the largest portions of your grade in any non-math/science class. The professors are amazing, I've been to my advisor's house for dinner. They are always willing to help with anything and everything, and willing to take time out of their own busy schedules. We also get great visiting professors in the Political Science Dept-I've had two professors who teach at SAIS at JHU. Core is a major requirement that most students hate, but it's really not that bad. The only issue is that the workload can vary a lot depending on the professor you have.

Greek life is definitely big on campus. The fraternities are particularly important in the party scene, since there is no Greek housing, but the frats have lodges. People party there or at the senior apartments. If you don't want to drink, your options can be limited. You'll have to find a group of friends who don't want to drink either and do stuff on your own. Off campus there are a lot of things to do, but students don't take advantage of them. Intervarsity is also a large organization for those who are religious. Club sports teams also are a large group, as is WILL for women. No one really leaves their doors open after freshman year. If you're awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, you're probably doing a paper. Traditions at Richmond are one really cool aspect-for freshmen, there's Proclamation Night for women, where you write a letter to yourself that you open senior year, and Investiture for men; and the ever-popular Ring Dance, where junior women receive their class rings at a dance at the fanciest hotel in Richmond.

The major stereotype is that Richmond students are very preppy, and have basically stepped out of a J. Crew catalog, as well as that students are very wealthy, and that everyone is involved in Greek life and from New Jersey.

Jordan

How do I summarize our school so that everyone can understand it? There are so many facets to what I do here and so many different ways to participate or be involved. The school is the perfect size for me, as a senior, I can still meet new people, but I have a huge social network. Class sizes are also great because I am actually friends with my professors. They mentor me and help me out with anything I need and I am not just a number to them, or that girl in the back of the class. When I tell people that I go to Richmond a lot of people say 'Oh, the Spiders!" I guess that is a recognition thing, but I like to tell them about all the other great stuff I do. On campus I have to say I hang out a lot in the library or the coffee shop. Our school is really academically driven and so if you want to find someone, you have a pretty good chance of doing it in the library. I also frequent the dining hall, but now that I live in an on-campus apartment, my friends and I eat most of our meals at home. The administration here can be tricky, I mean, as a whole they want to present this Ive League front because that's what they aspire to make us. But to be honest, I came here because it was a great school that wasn't an Ivy, so sometimes I get frustrated with their uptight rules or regulations. The best thing to happen to the administration since I've been here is the hiring of Dr. Ayers. He is our new President and he actually wants to be involved with students and know what we think and who we are. Dr. Ayers is an amazing addition to our school.

Richmond is not a very diverse campus and that is probably my biggest complaint about the school. If you look around campus, it is pretty white and that frustrates me. I also think that a lot of issues though discussed in the classroom, are not out in the open on campus. I know that LGBT students have a hard time here because there is a really small support network for them. On the same note, all students here interact. I have friends in just about every social group on campus and I feel like those groups are pretty accepting. In the dining hall people are going to sit with their main friend group, maybe their sorotity, fraternity, roommates, athletic team, music group, or whatever else, but if I decided to eat with my friends who are athletes one day, no one would think twice about it. Political activity is low at Richmond. That doesnt mean we dont talk it to death though. If you want to talk politics you can ask any student on campus and they'll probably have an opinion, but the problem is, no one acts on it. With everything going on on-campus I think students sometimes forget about the bigger picture.

I think I just answered that all in one.

I am a Leadership Studies Major at Richmond and that alone is unique, I mean it wasn't even a choice on this survey! I absolutely love my major because it is unique and because I have learned so many different things. I always tell people that a Leadership Major doesn't teach you how to do one specific job, it teaches you how to live your life. My favorite class here has been Justice and Civil Society. The course examined social justice issues in our culture and what our responsibility as democratic citizens was in solving those issues. I spend a lot of time with professors outside of class. Two of my favorite professors I see almost every week even though I dont have classes with them anymore. Over the years these genious professors have become my friends and I go to them for advice or help on othe academic subjects.

Fraternities and sororities play a large role in the social life on campus and I am involved with a sorority. It is definitely my main social network, but at the same time, I don't live with anyone in my sorority. Athletic events arent that popular but I attend them occassionally. I always go to the theater events and try to see as many guest speakers as possible. We always have really famous people come to campus so it is awesome to see them for free. I met my closest friends through my sorority and I never would have thought that would happen. I didn't even think I wanted to join a sorority when I came here, but the system is so differnt than what I'd heard. It's not catty and it's really simple, so I joined and found my best friends. The best tradition we have at our school is Pig Roast, or Festivus, as the administration calls it. It is a day in the spring when all the fraternity lodges are open all day with barbeque and bands and everyone on campus is invited to go hang out and party together all day. The party starts around 9 a.m. and doesn't end until Sunday.

Richmond students are thought of as Type-A personalities who are often Northern and preppy. This stereotype has changed some though since I was a freshman and is not as apparent anymore. The Type-A part is still relatively true because students are so competitive and want to do well in their classes. Often, academic sacrifices take away from other things. Students here are also over-committed because they want to be involved in so many things. We would probably benefit from cutting back and chilling out a little bit. The preppiness is fading though and as the years have gone on I have met more diverse students.

Kate

I'd change the way that all the focus is on senior's finding jobs. I'm planning to go to graduate school and they don't really offer much help, nor are the departments very up-to-date on what's required for some programs. I spend most of my time on campus lounging in my apartment, the library's crowded and, in my opinion, a more distracting place to do work. People are proud to go to UR, but they just don't show a lot of support for Richmond athletics. Students are so overprogrammed that when they get some free time they just want to relax.

I have had great experiences with many of the religious groups on campus, and they have made an effort to get to know other groups on campus such as our Multicultural Student Union and New Directions. Students tend to find a group of people that they fit in with and stay there - they don't branch out too much. Right side dhall: sorority girls, frat boys Center: Athletes Left: Other (they're nice over there)

In general, but you can definitely find those who don't fit the stereotypes and are still having a wonderful experience here. You don't need to be cookie-cutter to go to UR, but you probably need to be okay with others being that way.

Professors definitely know students' names. They will make conversation with you outside of class, and if you want to do research or work with professors they are easily accessible. Students study a lot. However, most students are great at time management and so while they may be in the library til midnight on Thursday night, they do it so they can have fun with friends over the weekend. Professors look for class participation. It makes students stand out, they can tell who has prepared the material. I've even been told that I couldn't participate anymore in a class so that she could challenge some of the other students to complete the reading and answer questions.

A lot of Richmond students are involved in Greek Life. However, those not involved don't tend to support the Greeks on campus. We go to each other's events and help raise money, but it's hard to get campus support. Traditions: Besides Proclamation Night and Investiture - PIG ROAST! People go out routinely every Friday and Saturday. Thursday is becoming more popular to go downtown, and some people have friends over on Tuesday's to play pong. Last weekend: Sorority social at a club downtown on Friday, apartment party on Saturday. A capella practice on Sunday afternoon, AXO chapter Sunday night. Homework and hanging out sat. afternoon.

Richmond students only care about academics. Richmond students are super preppy. Richmond students live in a bubble. Richmond is lacking in diversity.

Melanie

I really like our size. Its large enough to have many opportunities available to us, but its small enough to be able to take advantage of those opportunities. I do think we need to working on ways to create closer bonds of friendship between male and female students. There are not as many co-ed activities, and residence halls are not coed. I spend a lot of time in the commons and on the Westhampton Green when its nice out. Its so beautiful and I love it. I acually was very proud of our school recently. It sounds silly, but we had a chalk controversy. A student was punished for writing inspirational messages on the brick with chalk and the school rallied to defend their freedom of speech and right to expression by filling the forum's brick with chalk sayings and pictures. It makes me happy every time I see it.

I would say students are maybe a little more libral than a normal population but we do have a definate conservative presence on campus. I feel like there is a little bit of everything on campus. There are a lot of overachieving students, but then there are some lazy bums too. I must say there aren't a lot of "gothic/alternative" styles on campus. There are some preppy people, but its not everyone. I have a theory that there are certain people that like to sit on certain sides of dhall, if that counts, of course some people dont care, but some people have very specific preferences. Side when you first walk in: Alot of Sorority or Frats somtimes, people who are too lazy to walk farther or are waiting on a big group, a bit preppier, middle: Athletes, including club, other just middle of the road people, far side: creative quieter people. I think students assume they will make decent money one day. We don't talk that much about it.

no, not from my experience. I have a lot of diverse friends. I mean those types of people do exist, but there are lost of other peole from different places and different socioeconomic backgrounds and I think thats cool.

Students take class work very seriously. They need to slow down and actually focus on learning rather than getting the grade and killing themselves in the process. I have great intelectual conversations, but I seek them or start them. And I love that my professors know who I am. I like getting to know my professors and learning from their experiences. My favorite classes have been, Marine Biology which was very hands on service learning. AMAZING and Women Gender Sexuality Studies with Dorthy Holland-she is amazing, and body sex world religion, and Human Strength and Positive function is great! I am doing a meditation project in there currently and its changing my outlook on life.

I play Ultimate Frisbee. Its a lot of fun and most of my best friends play too. We are fun and free spirited. We leave our door open somtimes, but most people don't. Athletic events are becoming more popular, it isn't really my thing though, I'm school spirited in other ways. Dating is wierd here. Its either you are practicaly living together or people just hook up randomly. I don't like it. I think its probably similar on other campuses though. 2am Tues- I must be doing homework.

All richmond students are wealthy and most are from the northeast

Richmond is a very small, private university. This equals small classes, a tight knit community and a lot of controversy. All of which I love yet can find something wrong with. The small classes make for a much more personal and interactive learning environment where students get to know each other, especially in your particular major. But it is difficult to get away with not actually doing any work. I guess it's up to the individual as to whether or not that's good or bad. The tight knit community is great and helps with making and keeping friends. But it's a little difficult for me because I live off campus. A lot of activities are at night or on the weekends. I have no desire to drive for an hour at midnight or spend the gas money to go to school for an hour for something. But I get home cooked meals, my own bathroom and a dog so I'll take the extra time to drive for most things. Recently we had a nice big controversy over side-walk chalk. A few students were given community service hours for drawing pictures and writing in the Forum (a big open brick area). When this was published in the student-run newspaper, The Collegian, people freaked out and it was awesome. Students then went out at no o'clock in the morning and wrote an essay/statement about why we should be able to chalk in the Forum and it was washed away early the next morning. Then people freaked out even more and eventually made it so students had permission from the president to chalk on the Forum, as long as it wasn't vulgar. The following Friday there were people on the soap box and chalkers all around, showing their appreciation for free speech. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the chalking and look forward to the chalk days planned in the future. I believe this opened a door for students to be more vocal and active in what happens on campus.

During orientation week there was a lot of talk about diversity, yet we have a serious lack of it. Most students are white and from affluent families in the north. We do have an international population and some minorities, but not so much and I am one of very few students from the west coast. That said, it seems students are becoming more aware of this fact and are doing something about it. Women in Living and Learning (WILL) is a huge group on campus that works for women's rights, there are several religious groups, and those who are treated differently for whatever reason are speaking up. So far the administration has been good about listening to my concerns as an overlooked commuting undergrad. It is going to take a lot of talking/shouting and time to get things changed but they will change if those who feel overlooked/stereotyped/mistreated stand up and do something about it. Those in charge seem to care, they just need to be told what's wrong and how they can fix it. There is quite a political scene on campus as well. Even more so with the 2008 Presidential Election being this year. Most students I have talked to are moderate but there are a large number of people on either end of the spectrum. We do have active political groups like College Republicans and Young Democrats who have recently been debating issues in The Collegian.

The campus is just plain beautiful. All we have are giant red brick buildings and walkways and trees. Fall this year was unlike anything I have ever seen and I've been to some pretty cool places. We have amazing facilities including a brand new gym and fitness center. The lake is great, of course. I was very impressed with the fact that the commons overlooked a lake. How many people get to say that? I know I sound like a public service announcement or a paid plant but I am serious and mean everything I've said so far in this survey. Richmond is a great school full of awesome people. I have had my share of difficulties and am still working on some but so far the good has far out weighed the bad. And I think that is what college is all about. How are you going to learn how to adapt and deal if nothing bad ever happens? How are you suppose to appreciate the awesome times if things never suck?

To an extent. There is your "typical" Richmond Girl or Guy who wears preppy clothing. And of course if its warm there will be dresses with Uggs and if its raining there will be funky rain boots. But there are those of us who either don't fit into the Abercrombie category at all or are somewhere in between.

Note number 1: Richmond is much harder than I thought it would be. Note number 2: I'm still alive and still here. Even though I thought I wasn't going to make it last semester, I did. My professors were extremely helpful and I figured out that I can handle a lot more than I thought. Obviously I have had professors I do not like and taken classes you couldn't pay me take again. Yet I have discovered my passion here and the Journalism department is full of people who are just made of awesome. Seriously, the Department of Journalism (as they're officially called) is amazing. The professors are smart and experienced. They have amazing connections and internship opportunities. They are just fun people who know what the heck they're talking about. Getting a Liberal Arts education is also very nice and helpful. I am glad there is an eclectic class selection because I like a lot of different things and enjoy taking a variety of classes instead of being in the same thing all the time. Sometimes I need a break from writing and want to do a little music or art, etc. But that also means I have to take things like math, which I hate with a fiery passion. Thank God for Elementary Programming! I am irked by the URAware Wellness class requirement, which is an alcohol awareness class. Basically, someone talked to us for two hours about how many drinks we could have a day and how drinking is better for you than not. I walked out thinking, "why did I pay for this?" Overall the academics at UofR are tough but worth it. If you're ready for some serious library hours and intellectual and political conversations with friends, head on over!

Sororities and fraternities are very prominent on campus. I honestly don't know much about them but there are a lot of socials held and several people walking around with lovely Greek letters on their shirts. And I'm sure there's a hierarchy of groups and I know there are different difficulty levels and types of people who are chosen for each one. I just don't know which one is which. I am involved in Christian Student Fellowship (CSF). We get together once a week and have a home cooked meal, prayer and a message by a guest speaker or a student. It is a great time to come together and relax, talk about the week and get some encouragement. I am also involved in The Collegian as an Assistant News Editor and Reporter. I have only recently become involved but so far it seems like a close community. And, of course, if you want to be a Journalist it looks great on resumes and internship applications. There are a lot of parties, mostly in the University Apartments, I think, but we do not have what I would call a big party scene. Unfortunately we have had a rash of students having to be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning which disturbs me. Hopefully the administration gets to work on this and does what it can to prevent future incidents. *Hint hint* Again, why did I pay for that URAware class? Dating seems to be taboo on campus. Many people have significant others back home but I have yet to see a couple holding hands or kissing, etc. That's pretty unusual since I've been on campus almost everyday for the past six months, minus weekends and holidays. Maybe they all hook up on the weekends, I don't know. There is the walk of shame from Grey Court (Freshmen guys dorm) to the girls dorms that I advise all girls, especially Freshmen girls, to avoid at all costs. Just don't do it. Having a social life and being a good student is difficult and stressful but seems to be possible. It takes a good amount of planning and messing up before you figure it out but they tell me it helps in life after college.

Being from California I did not know any stereotypes before I attended. But I've heard that Richmond students supposedly walked right out of an Abercrombie & Fitch ad.

Julia

If I could change one thing about Richmond it would be the availability of food. The dining hall closes at 8pm everyday and doesn't open on the weekends until 10:30 am. Then the other "dine late" places are often closed on the weekends or during the late afternoon and so it's very difficult to find food, especially later at night. I say that if the gym is open until midnight that the dining hall should be open until midnight. It just doesn't make sense to me that the gym is open four hours longer then the dining hall! The biggest recent controversy on campus was about chalk in the Forum. Some students had drawn on chalk in the Forum, an area supposedly designed for students to express their opinions and be heard. However, the administration freaked out when they saw the chalk and had maintenance clean it away right away for fear that people might see it (oh the horrors!)and then sentenced the perpetrators to a couple hours of work with maintenance to make up for all the trouble they caused. Students were really upset about this and a secret "Chalkers League" formed and began chalking the campus in the middle of the night. Finally, our President told maintenance not to clean the chalk up anymore so now was have a colorful and expressive Forum! The best thing about Richmond is the Professors and the students. As a freshman I didn't expect to be offered opportunities for research or to develop such close and friendly relationships with my Professors. However, I have already been offered numerous opportunities for further research and even presenting my research to the Richmond community. Additionally, the Professors really do care about the students and they ask their opinions and keep the structure of the classes open for student discussion and input. I think this give and take between students and professors is really wonderful because it makes learning so much more interactive and personal and motivates the both the professors and students to continually improve and strive for the best because neither one wants to disappoint the other and they both want to help each other out. There isn't a lot of school pride here at Richmond which was a big disappointment for me. I think people are proud to say they go to Richmond, but they don't actively support it here and hardly anyone goes to athletic events which are really sad. I think we could definitely benefit from some more school pride! The city of Richmond itself is a great city. It is a car town, however, so it's really hard to get around if you don't bring your car here or have friends with cars. Richmond has great restaurants, malls, and small boutiques as well as museums, historical landmarks, concerts, dance performances, and seasonal fairs. Additionally, the city is a great place to volunteer and it isn't too expensive for students. If people don't want to go into the historical city itself Broad Street is about a five minute drive from campus and it has just about anything you could be looking for at reasonable prices. I think it's nice to go off campus every once in a while because UR can be a bubble and if you're here too long without venturing outside you tend to miss out on big world news and to forget that the rest of the world doesn't all look the same.

Richmond does tend to be pretty homogenous; however, there is a real effort to get a more diverse student body and to recognize diversity of all kinds on campus. Racially Richmond is actually pretty diverse and there are also a large percentage of international students on campus. Religion wise most students are Christian of some sort and there are very few LGBTs at Richmond. Additionally, while many students are here on scholarships and there is a good variety of people in various socio-economic groups, most students at Richmond do tend to be upper-middle class or very wealthy. However, this is not to say that there aren't any people of a certain ethnicity, religion, or sexuality because I have met a large variety and diversity of people here on campus. If you look hard enough you can find any type of person you might be looking for here at Richmond. Most students wear to class jeans and, depending on the person, either a casual t-shirt of a nice top. Some students go all out even at 8:15 in the morning with dresses, cute flats, blown dry hair, and immaculate makeup, however, many students exhibit typical college kid outfits with sweats and a t-shirt. It's also common to see students in workout outfits because the gym is a hot spot on this campus and if the student is an athlete they tend to wear their warm-ups or some clothing displaying their sport. Most Richmond students are from the east coast, particularly Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York. However, there are also a good percentage of international students and west coast students. It tends to be a good mix that brings together a lot of different backgrounds. Sadly many students are not politically aware or active. Richmond students tend to be very apathetic when it comes to getting involved in politics on or off campus and many students don't even know what is going on politically. Richmond does have the College Republicans and College Democrats on campus who attempt to raise awareness, however, sadly, they still lack support and many students just don't care. However, there is a good mix of republicans, moderates, and democrats on campus. Students don't talk about how much they'll earn one day. If anything, girls talk about how much their future husbands will earn! Some girls seem to come here only to marry rich and they don't really care about their education.

For some people these stereotypes are accurate- you will see girls walking around everyday all dressed up and some people do have the typical rich kid I-get-what-I-want-and-if-I-don't-I'm-going-to-call-my-Daddy syndrome. However, many people are very down-to-earth and normal college kids. Also, many people are involved in community service projects and work for their money on campus. You will encounter all kinds of people here at Richmond.

Professors always know your name. It might take them some time to learn it but classes are generally so small that they are forced to learn your name quickly. Also, Professors want to know their students and so they do really try to not only learn the names of all their students but to keep up with their students in various other aspects of their lives here on campus. Students study a lot here. It isn't uncommon to find students working or in the library on a Friday or Saturday night and most students stay up late doing work. Additionally, around finals it’s practically impossible to find a computer in the library. Class participation is common but more so in the upper level classes. In a lot of the 101 or intro level classes students take, generally as freshman, a lot of the people are there to fulfill certain general requirements and, thus, aren't interested in the subject matter so, as a result, they don't participate in class. However, most classes are discussion based so student participation is vital to keeping the class moving and a lot of students do contribute their opinions and ideas.

I am on he Equestrian team and I love it. A lot of students don't even know our club exists- which just goes to show you how many clubs there are on campus! The team has about 35 girls on it (and guys are welcome but they just don't seem to join!) and we take weekly lessons with anywhere from 2-4 other people at a barn about 40 minutes away. Several weekends a semester there are horseshows you can go to if you want and there are occasional dinners and events throughout the semester. It's a lot of fun and a great way to get off campus and interact with other people and animals. Athletic events are not that popular. As a matter of fact, the University had to start providing incentives for students to attend basketball games this year and students still don't really go! Football games are pretty well attended but a lot of students go just for the tailgating and the first half and then leave before the game is done. However, basketball and football are probably the two biggest sports on campus. I met my closet friends through the Summer Send-off programs Richmond provides where students in an area get together for a small party to meet each other before they all get on campus. I also met many of my good friends through Orientation and from my sorority and classes. People party every weekend and there are always people partying throughout he week too. The weekend always starts on Thursday when people go the clubs downtown and then on both Fridays and Saturdays there are parties at either the Fraternity lodges or the upperclassmen apartments. Partying seems to be a way of life for a lot of people here and a way to go wild after a stressful and exhausting week of work. Fraternities are very important because they provide the majority of the parties on the weekends. If the lodges aren't open not as many people will go out. Sororities don't have houses so they generally don't throw parties unless it's unofficial at the apartments or a social off campus. However, both frats and sororities play a large part on campus with the frats providing more of a party scene and the sororities providing more of a community service oriented scene. When I go off campus I generally go to Short Pump Mall or to Broad Street because pretty much anything you want or need can be found there. Sometimes I go to Carytown with my friends which is a little less commercial and has more cute boutiques. Also, we go to the movie theater at the mall and to Target on Broad Street. Target is great for cheap clothes for socials, going out, or just lounging around! If you don't want to drink on a Saturday night you can go into the city, go see a movie, go to the mall, watch a movie in the dorms, or just hang out with friends. Although a lot of the weekend social scene does revolve around partying and drinking, there are still a good amount of people who don't go out and who you can hang out with. There is also a movie in the commons every weekend and a lot of times there are other school sponsored dances or parties that are fun and alcohol free. Sports events are also fun and you can also go to a restaurant off campus or even the Cellar, our school's pub, which has bands come every weekend. If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday you're probably studying for a test, writing a paper, or doing some form of homework. Sometimes people are just hanging out, watching TV, or procrastinating (usually on facebook), but generally you're not awake on a Tuesday unless you have to be because of work.

Some stereotypes are that everyone here is really rich and snobby and that we all wear designer clothes everyday.

The best thing about Richmond? I feel like the degree(s) I'll graduate with will mean something and help me achieve my career goals in the long run. That's probably the main reason I chose the school and the main reason I'll end up staying here and not transferring. When people hear that I go to Richmond, the first thing they usually say is "Oh, that's a really good school, isn't it?" followed by "Isn't it really expensive?" Richmond is known for those two things: being prestigious and being expensive/rich. Richmond has great academics. But if I could change just one thing, it would be the way Richmond spends its money. A universal truth on campus is that the college has a ton of money, but most of us students don't feel like we are on the beneficial end of Richmond's spending policies. The administration puts too much emphasis on the aesthetic appeal of the campus and not enough emphasis on student well-being. I am on financial aid, and I also applied for several non-Richmond merit-based scholarships. I received one, and Richmond promptly took the money I received from the scholarship away from the grant I was receiving from the school, rather than from my loans or the money I was putting towards school. They used the money I got on my own merit and by my own hard work to reduce the financial aid they were giving me! I was outraged and insulted, and after waiting on hold with the financial aid office and many conversations/arguments with the staff there, they agreed to reduce the amount of my scholarship from my work-study instead of the grant. It was a compromise I could live with, but that experience left me slightly bitter against the administration. My feelings on this matter have been echoed by many other students I have talked to, who also feel that Richmond's funds are not always being spent in the students' best interests. The most recent controversy on campus was that of student expression using chalk in the forum, a brick-sidewalk area in between the dining hall and the student commons. A student was punished with community service for chalking the area with colorful designs, talking to other students, and encouraging others to draw and express themselves one warm Tuesday a few weeks ago. This incited indignation and resentment throughout the student body, as protests and Facebook groups supporting student expression sprang up almost overnight. After a battle with the administration over our rights of expression, we the students finally won out, and now the forum is full of colorful and inspirational designs and messages. This situation represents how students here at Richmond are tired of the university administration ignoring student concerns. It also brings up the issues of community and school pride here at Richmond. This controversy was an event that sparked more student cooperation and school spirit than some basketball games do. In fact, Richmond seems sadly lacking in school pride and spirit. The idea of community is severely limited here, and the fact that it takes an attack on student freedom like chalk in the forum to bring students together is a sad commentary on life here at Richmond.

One good thing about Richmond is the diversity. In the course of one day, I seldom go without hearing more than four or five different languages being spoken around me. Racial and socio-economic diversity is not as prominent as religious and personal diversity on campus, but on the whole, we are a pretty diverse group of students. I think Richmond uses that to market itself, in a way. But as diverse as we are, people who are similar to each other tend to stick together. The international students, the art students, the athletes - they all have one thing in common: they stick together. Different types of students don't interact as much as I'd like to see us interact. I think the lack of interaction helps put a wall up that prevents the feeling of community on campus, which we are seriously lacking. Most students at Richmond are from the east coast, either from Virginia itself or somewhere in the East. Of course, there are international students and plenty of students from all over the country, but I would say they only constitute half of the student body while the other half are from more local places. Political awareness on campus is much higher than some other campuses I've been to. The news (which is today dominated by the Presidential race) is continuously on tv at the dining hall. However, diversity in the political realm is lacking. Most students tend to be Democratic, liberal, or center- to left-wing. Either that, or the conservatives and Republicans feel so outnumbered they are afraid to identify themselves.

Of course this stereotype isn't universally accurate for the student body at Richmond! Over half of us are on some sort of financial aid, drive Hondas (or no car at all), wear jeans we got on sale for 15 bucks at a department store and shoes from PayLess, and are not necessarily involved in athletics and/or Greek life on campus. However, there is a predominance of wealth and WASPs (white, Anglo-Saxon protestants) on the Richmond campus, which gives the rest of the student body a choice: fit in, or stick out. While a small percentage of students here are actually ridiculously wealthy, a lot of students feel like they have to act/dress/behave like they are preppie and rich.

Since class sizes here are generally pretty small, professors tend to know students' names. That doesn't prevent them from calling you consistently by completely random name that's not yours, however... (as happened to me in a chemistry class last semester). Students spend about the same amount of time studying during the week that they do drinking on the weekends. The amount of in class participation really depends on how much students are getting graded on it: if class participation is part of the final grade, students are much more likely to do it regularly than if it is completely optional. Even then, some students never open their mouths (either because of shyness or apathy about the class). Sometimes conversations are spawned by what we discussed in class, but only occasionally are they academic. However, that again depends on the class. There might be more intellectual conversation matter provided by a leadership or literature class than by an economics course. Academic requirements here really range from being lax to being extremely vigorous, and that difference is made mostly by the professors. An easy professor means an easy A, while some A students cannot achieve more than a B- if the professor is challenging or unusually difficult to please.

The biggest recreational activity on campus is drinking. And unfortunately, the administration puts more effort into stopping students from chalking in the forum than they put into keeping kids out of the hospital from alcohol poisoning. On the flip side of the coin, there are plenty of other activities on campus to get involved in. I am in APO, the Richmond chapter of the national co-ed service fraternity. That constitutes one of my major extracurricular activities, but there are many others available. Athletic events are relatively popular, but the Greek life is even more so. Campus safety is ... ok. Vandalism is the biggest problem, so I feel relatively safe walking somewhere after dark, but I never leave my door unlocked if I can help it. Transportation off campus is practically non-existent and horrible when it does exist, so if you don't have a car, you're basically stuck here.

I once was on a scavenger hunt, and one of the things we had to find was a person wearing a pink shirt with a popped collar. Suffice it to say that it was not the hardest item on the list to find. The stereotypical Richmond student is either upper-middle class or wealthier, drives a Mini, wears designer clothing, and either plays a sport or is in a fraternity/sorority.

Mary

It is hard to come up with just one thing that is best about Richmond - we have great people, a beautiful campus, and challenging classes but generally good professors. The size has its pros and cons because we are definitely smaller than typical but it creates a very homey atmosphere. The smallness can be bad a times, however, because news travels fast in such a small setting and reputations stick. Richmond as a city is a great college town; there is always so much to do and everything is within 15 minutes. One of the few bad things about Richmond is the lack of school spirit. Its gradually being noted as a problem though so hopefully it will change.

There is a bit of truth to the stereotypes in that a large percentage of the student population is rich and preppy but there are also a lot of people that do not fit that stereotype. As for stuck up, this may apply to a handful of students but you will find that anywhere. Generally, the students here are some of the nicest I've ever met.

All my professors know my name since my largest class has about 25 students in it. Generally, the professors here really care about students learning and they make it challenging enough to keep it interesting. Theres a decent amount of classes offered so you can dabble in different areas. The students here are very smart and pretty competitive. They know how hard they have to work to do well so the library will be packed during the week but we use the weekend to relax and release from all the stress. It is definitely a work hard, party hard kind of school.

The social life is pretty good here. Freshman year you fall in love with the party scene because it is unlike most other schools. The fraternity lodges are on campus and serve pretty much as a free on campus club on the weekends. However, it can get a little monotonous once you get past the initial excitement. Thankfully, Richmond is a pretty big city and there is a lot to do there so if you get tired of the party scene on campus, there are typically things going on off campus. Fraternities and sororities are present but definitely not a way of life. There are no houses on campus so it really doesn't matter which one you belong to, if any. I am independent and my roommate is in a sorority but it doesn't change anything.

Richmond students are definitely stereotyped as all being rich, preppy, white kids, and some will even say that we're all stuck up.

Kristen

The biggest complaint I have about Richmond is that it's so expensive! Sometimes I wonder whether the education here is actually worth the value. As far as the size of the school, it feels a little too small. Everyone eats in the same dining hall at pretty much the same time every night, so it is impossible to avoid anyone. Relationships are also more awkward because rumors tend to spread, especially among students of the same class. On the positive side, the campus is beautiful, and it's pretty spread out for such a small student population.

Not a very diverse campus, but made worse by the fact that it feels racially-divded. Richmond spends a lot of time talking about cultural acceptance, but in the end all it does is create more tension. One of the biggest issues I have is with Pre-Orientation, when all minority and international students are invited to move in a week earlier than other students. I feel that this causes many problems because the minority students all make friends with eachother during pre-orientation and then don't branch out once the other students arrive for regular orientation. This only causes more separation between races. The typical Richmond student is a rich, preppy white kid. Let's just say popped collars are big.

I'd say the stereotypes are becoming more and more accurate every day, but there are always exceptions.

I've had some great professors, and I've had some really boring ones. Your academic experience really does depend on the professor. The one thing I really like about Richmond is the small class sizes. Lots of individual attention is available.

Frats have parties on Friday and Saturday nights at the Lodges, but other than that, the campus pretty much shuts down over the weekend. It's difficult to even find a place to eat: The Pier & 8:15 at Boatwright (the coffee shop) are both closed until Sunday night, and D-Hall doesn't open until 10:30 a.m. Frat parties are fun if there is good music to dance to, although it is sometimes annoying getting beer thrown all over you.

Richmond has a reputation for being snobby and overly-conservative.

University of Richmond administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.