University of Richmond, VA
University of Richmond

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Richmond

Nabila
Why did you decide to go to this school?

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The amount of opportunities that I knew would be available to me. Between internships and always being able to speak with professors, sports clubs, concerts, organizations, jobs, volunteering. This university has it all

Greek Life is most definitely the most popular activity. 50% of men and women participate and are members of a Greek organization, but if you're not interested in that there are other activities for everyone as well. There is always something to do on campus, and off campus as well. Great restaurants, clubs and bars.

Academics are great. The Math department and the Biology department need some improvement. The teachers are often not excellent teachers but they help you get through the class as best they can. Every other department is phenomenal and he teachers are so helpful and always to do whatever they need to to help you pass their course with an A. The academics are challenging but if you make good use of your time then it is manageable.

A common stereotype is that the majority of people at are school come from very wealthy families usually from the South. Another stereotype is that the majority of these students get involved in Greek life. Although there are a lot of wealthy students at Richmond I think we have a diverse mix of students from different social backgrounds, different parts of the US and the world. Our school caters greatly to international studies and I think they really try to incorporate different cultures and activities for students to get involved with that will expose them to different facets of living and the world.

Brian

UR is the perfect school in so many ways. Classes are very small and discussion based. You really get to know your professors very well, which leads to great out of the classroom learning opportunities, including independent undergraduate research. Basically, it is a small university with the resources of a very large school...which benefits UR students in so many ways! Similarly, UR is located on a beautiful campus with gorgeous brick buildings (all modeled after the original 100 year old buildings on campus), a lake, and beautiful greens. Most of all...the students who attend UR are very proud of their school. Whats not to be proud of?!

The University of Richmond has a very strong, serious academic culture. Students really have a passion for learning. Most classes are discussion based, under 20 students, and involve a diverse array of learning techniques. When admitted to UR, students can take classes in any of the 5 academic schools that make up our University: the School of Arts and Sciences, Robins School of Business, Jepson School of Leadership, T.C. Williams School of Law, and School of Professional and Continuing Studies. The University is great about including undergraduates in all of these schools, even though your main area of study may not be in more than one. As a result of the small class sizes, students really get to know their professors well. I have gotten to know several of my professors at UR very well, and have met their families, eaten dinner with them, and been funded by UR to do research with them. There are so many great majors and minors at the University of Richmond, and behind each of them are amazing professors, classroom environments, and out-of-the-classroom learning opportunities.

Many people think of UR students as geeks or nerds. Very untrue! Everyone on campus is involved in so many things, including sports, clubs, and greek life. Yes...the library may be a busy place...but the playing fields and social atmospheres are as well.

Dana

Although the majority of students hail from New Jersey, Philadelphia, and New England, surprisingly the University of Richmond boasts a substantial degree of diversity; you just have to know where to look.

I wish I took advantage of the many resources available at the business school, which is the university's prized possession.

Aside from simply slapping myself across the face, I would offer several pearls of wisdom to my blissfully ignorant high school self. Rather than attempting to treat the college application process as if you're seeking "the one" true love of your life, you should barrage the inboxes of every university even remotely intriguing. Don't overlook the private universities with price tags resembling half the value of your parents' house; often they can provide unbelievable financial aid packages. Come to terms now with the fact that some friends will leave your life but new ones will soon enter, and accept that you will change drastically from freshman to senior year. Welcome to quasi-adulthood! Finally, heed the advice of newspapers and magazines everywhere and choose a major with promising employment prospects. You don't need to sacrifice your passions and interests in order to accomplish this task, but you do need to search your soul in order to select the best path. Don't shy away from the science labs or fear calculus and statistics! Ultimately, college is an incredibly defining experience and one you will never forget, so enjoy the memories and jump in head first.

Lisa

Dear High School Me, Expect the unexpected; you're used to rolling with the punches and it's more or less the same as high school. The more is that you're going to have more work than before, but you're also going to have more time (if you use it right). The less of college is that it is is less dramatic, though you managed to avoid that mostly in high school as well. You've done a decent job managing your time in college (no all-nighters yet woohoo!), but be ready to work hard nonetheless. Soccer practice is physically demanding, classes and papers mentally break you down, and working to pay for it is going to drive you crazy. At the end of the day though, you sleep in satisfaction with where you ended up, so do not worry about it too much. Be ready for hard work, but an amazing time. See you soon, Lisa

The cost of the school is monumental: approximately $52,000 a year. The meal plan is non-adjustable between two choices of expensive or more expensive. Other than that, though, I love everything about the school.

I wish I knew nothing more or nothing less than what I did when I entered. I prepared well, and the unexpected occurrances that I have faced have actually helped me gain experience and learn as I go. That is a part of going off to college: you learn how to manage your own life and personally deal with problems if and when they arise.

holly

Holly, you are a senior and you have a lot going for you, your problem is you don't realize it. Now is the time to apply yourself and go strong at everything you do. Stop slacking, or in four years you will be watching all your friends graduate college and your biggest regret is not being on stage with them. You are eighteen, don't let boys, parties, your image, or the procrastinator inside of you stand in the way of your dreams. Every one talks about "the real world", and it is so very different than high school. The real world is not going to care what you do. If you don't succeed, it's only going to effect you. So now is the time to buckle down, and be prepared for this "real world" you are about to enter.

Dana

The school is just the right size and offers a ton of opportunities. Great reputation!

Despite the large numbers of people advising me to pursue my passions in college, I would not allow my preconceived interests to inhibit further personal growth. Although my intense love of reading and writing directed me to my English major, I wish I could remove the blinders I possessed as a high school senior. I now am fascinated by such diverse subjects as economics and biology, primarily as they relate to environmental issues. Although I highly value my background in English literature and critical writing, I should have allowed myself to explore the physicial and social sciences to greater detail. I will pursue a Master of Public Policy degree in Fall 2011 at The College of William & Mary, and I look forward to the varied curriculum of political science, economics, marine science, and law courses. These classes will better prepare me for a public policy career focusing on land use management issues and renewable energy policies. Ultimately though, I would not change my academic path throughout college, as I believe these experiences are necessary for personal development. So my former high school senior self should continue along the predicted trail and enjoy all of life's unexpected turns.

If you're not open to new ideas, don't come here. Alternatively, if you're not comfortable with the homogeneous population, don't come here. Although the student body is mainly comprised of white, mid-Atlantic kids, they will inevitably surprise you with their diverse backgrounds, thoughts, and social experiences.

Natalie

The past two years have been the most marvelous time of my life. The fascinating things I’ve learned in the classroom have opened up my mind to a new world of thinking. However, what I have gained outside the classroom has made me a more rounded, intrigued young woman. I was an officer in my school’s Snowriders Club, played on the women’s tennis team, and got hands on experience in our athletic training room. These experiences taught me more than I could’ve imagined. In the Snowriders club I publicized and coordinated events, learned difficulty of working with school regulations, and got everyone stoked for ski trips. Having to step out of my comfort zone to get these tasks done caused me to not only mature, but to learn how to handle new responsibilities. Playing on the tennis team taught me to have a hard work ethic, respect others, and stay healthy. Also, working with student athletes in a professional setting gave me a sense of power and curiosity that has fueled my ambition to become a physical therapist. These experiences have been invaluable to my education, and I know this is only the beginning!

Mary

Driven and hard working students. The business school is very competitive and people are friendly only if you approach them.

The University of Richmond has offered so much to me over the last 3 short years I've spent here. Though I am constantly working hard as a division one swimming althete and may miss certain oppurtunities otherwise, this school taught me how to work hard- both efficiently, and effectively. The competitive students here are always making me strive to challenge myself and think outside the box. My demanding coaches teach me how to deal with pressure and stress everyday. My career development center makes it easy and possible to reach out to any career or internship I want, as long as I am willing to obtain it! Thought the social life may be lacking in some views, this is the ideal school for students who wish to work hard and gain results. The Robins school of business has a 98% job placement score at graduation. The "green bike program", LEED certified buildings, and other environmentally friendly aspects of school shows our go green movement. It may seem like a fairytale, but the University of Richmond is truly a fountain of wealth in so many ways.

Choice of on campus food locations during evening hours.

Ayanna

If you do not want to challenge yourself, then the University of richmond is not for you. Someone that plans on slacking in college and not taking at least five hours out of your day to study, should not attend this school. The University of Richmond is a wonderful school, but it is also very sheltered. We live in a bubble, as some students call it. If you plan on going out every night, this school may not be the best choice. You will enjoy yourself at times, but the social life is not that great. THE WORKLOAD IS HEAVY!!!

Before I came to the University of Richmond, I wish that I would have known more about the social aspect on campus. I have met some wonderful people, but there is not a lot to do on campus. I should have also researched more about the types of people that attend the school because it is very preppy and uptight. I also should have searched the activities for students of color, we do have some involvement on campus, but I feel that our choices are somewhat limited.

The first semester of college was tough for me. The adjustment from high school to college was way more difficult than I expected, but I thank God that I was able to make it through. My college experience thus far has been challenging, but at the same time worth while. The professors at the University of Richmond are amazing. I feel that the student-teacher relationships in college truly make or break your performance in the classroom. My professors helped me so much and made my first semester awesome experience. I have learned to push myself in a way that I never thought I would be able to. The workload is a lot, but it teaches you to balance your time. I am thankful that I am able to attend such a wonderful institution, and I will continue to be the best I can be and eventually achieve my degree in accounting.

Christian

In my year and a half of college, I have created some relationships that I am confident will be with me for a while after graduation. The most important lesson to me in college is how to survive and do things on your own, and not depend on others to do important things for you. At this point in life that college students are at, everyone has to put their own self interest before anyone elses, and if you depend on others you will get burned because not everyone will look out for you like they say they will. It's imperative tot ake things into your own hands, and be a catalyst for your own success. College at the University of Richmond has been valuable to attend because even though it is so expensive and I will be in debt after graduation, I'm recieving a top notch education, and building connections that I can use for the rest of my life as I climb the professional ladder. My time has been well worth while, and I hope to continue success and learn as much as possible at this institution.

The best thing about my school is the close knit relationship of the students, especially because of the small size. I love my teammates in football, and the classes I'm taking. Although its very demanding academically compared to many other schools that I have friends at, it is all worth it. Some of my friends that graduated in the past year have quickly found jobs, which gives everyone hope that they can have great oppurtunities, regardless of the state of the economy.

If you prefer a smaller campus, with a strong presence of Greek life and tough academic demands, then you should attend the University of Richmond. At Richmond, the people who are self motivated and know how to manage their time correctly are the ones who can be efficient and successful, which is basically the same at every other academic institution.

University of Richmond administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.