University of Rochester

« See more reviews of University of Rochester

Quiet reserved friendly helpful polite

Some work hard while some hardly work.

They are mostly pre-med and pre-law.

Generally friendly and smart.

They are all geeks.

Passionate.

I don't really think that anyone would feel out of place at UR. There is a lot of diversity in race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, etc. on campus. Plus, there's a group for almost every single culture/lifestyle choice. You wouldn't believe the number of people who come here from different countries. I think that there are more people from China and Peru here than there are from Rochester. I think the only people who would not be comfortable here would be someone who has issues with being with people from a lot of different backgrounds. As a few examples, the school is about 20% Jewish, we have a club for people of Latino background called Salsa (they just had an awesome party), and I know like a gazillion people who are active in the club for people who are LGBTTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, transsexual, or questioning). It's really a very diverse and accepting community. Most students wear warm things to class. I'm not going to lie, it's cold here, but people from Hawaii have been known to get used to it, so you can, too. Jeans and hoodies are the norm, but trendiness depends on the person I guess. Different types of students really mesh here. I once went out to dinner with some friends and my family, and I said to my friends that the waiter would probably mistake us for sisters. Yeah, we're all different races, but I forgot. We're pretty heavily liberal up here, but there's a Republican group, too. One of my favorite people is the president of the college Republican club.

There are many very active religious groups on both campuses and an active Pride group at the River Campus. At Eastman, because of the amount of Asian students, there is a small divide between the Asians and those of us who are not, unfortunately. I try to bridge the gap, though -- my best friend at school is from Shanghai. The LGBT community is not only excepted at Eastman, but is the majority of the male population. Four tables of students in the dining hall at Eastman... one is Asian. one is full of brass players. one is full of obnoxiously loud singers. one is a strange mix of all three. The dining halls at the River Campus are too busy for me to notice what kinds of people the tables are comprised of. haha. Rochester students are from all over the world. I've met some people at school that are some of the richest people I've ever known, but there are also some lower middle-class people who take out massive amounts of loans. Students are VERY politically aware. The majority are left-winged, but there are many who swing toward the right as well. Students at Eastman do talk about how much they'll earn one day. There is a facebook group called "My tuition costs more than my future annual salary."

I went into this a lot already. In terms of politics, students are liberal by American standards, but more centrist than I expected based on the stereotype of the university student. I've met a grand total of two students who would actually defend Bush and the Iraq War, but that's hardly surprising at this point. The average student is probably a moderate Democrat who hates Bush but has some reservations about Obama. There are activist groups on campus, but most non-members view them with little more than scorn. Math/science students interact with others a lot less because of their workload, but in general, the Rochester Curriculum helps bring together students in different majors with some shared common interests. There are a lot of locals and Northeasterners, but an increasing number of out-of-region students like myself as well. It's not the most diverse campus, but it could be worse; I've had classes with all white people, but they're fairly rare. Religiously, there are a substantial number of atheists/agnostics (as on most college campuses), and the religious students are predominantly Jewish or Catholic from what I've seen.

Rochester is not the most diverse campus, but that's not to say there's no minorities. The different minority groups do tend to hang out in their own groups so there's not a ton of inter-racial mixing, but there's definitely not an attitude of racism or anything like that. In terms of socio-economic status, there is very little awareness. I have friends who are very very rich, and friends who are from working-class families, and no one seems to care at all. I was surprised when I got here how little political activism there is here. Like most schools there is a very vocal left-wing, but they rarely do more than talk, and there is definitely a conservative population as well, and plenty of people are friends with people of differing political viewpoints. People generally wear jeans on campus, and sweatpants are common as well. In winter UGG boots are everywhere (ick) but they are convenient in the snow and salt, if ugly. Students here are not especially fashionable.