University of Rochester Top Questions

What is your overall opinion of University of Rochester?

Is University of Rochester a good school?

What is University of Rochester known for?

Madeline

Rochester isn't really a college town so there is a big sense of community on the campus. At times this can feel isolating, especially for freshmen who can't have cars, but the location causes students to become more active on campus.

Daniel

I'l admit, U of R wasn't my first choice and I wasn't sure if it was the place for me when I sent in my deposit. But it has a really interesting dynamic, great academics, and I'm really glad I ended up here. I think UR's size is a real benefit. Some Intro classes do tend to be large, but are small enough where you can still develop a personal relationship with your professor. I had the opportunity to be in several discussion based classes as a freshman and this isn't really out of the ordinary. But UR also is a top-notch University with professors doing high level research in their fields. Its small undergrad size allows for amazing opportunities for undergrad research and independent study. Very few schools offer the same intimacy and research availability. While the city of Rochester gets a bad rap, I honestly think its an above average college town. Lots of music performances, a quaint independent theater and decent night life. Despite what outsiders might think having heard about kodak filing for bankruptcy protection, Rochester is doing fine economically---it was recently listed as one of 10 cities 'poised for greatness' and its really starting to flower. The worst thing about UR is that its name doesn't carry as much clout as its academics deserves. I think that the quality of education and caliber of students makes UR a peer school with WashU, Tufts, CMU, Emory, and JHU (I know a bunch of students that turned down all of these schools and many more) However, UR is practically unknown in many circles. Nevertheless, lots of UR students attend top grad schools and it is well known in academia. Ultimately, its name recognition is more annoying than anything else, and isn't something that will really hold you back in achieving your career goals.

Monica

Personally, I love the University of Rochester because of the neat and tight community. It is academically oriented and was able to meet many friends who I could share my passion for learning and academics. But at the same time, students here are unique and are allowed to continue on their extracurricular activities and hobbies. As a result, students are always vibrant, active and happy! Students definitely have school pride, except for one aspect, the Rochester winter.

Monica

Tucker

Where to start... I love it!! Everything about U of R screams "you belong here" aloud to me. The red brick construction, the open air of the academic quad, the catacombs and endless halls of knowledge of our main library, the people who greet me with a smile even when I'm in the foulest of moods. For me, there could be no better fit, and I encourage everyone to give it a shot!

Jacob

Rochester is one of the best school's in the country in my opinion. However, many students do not realize this because it is not an ivy or not in an ideal location. Once you come to terms with the weather, you are really able to enjoy all that Rochester has to offer. I can not imagine the academics being stronger at another university than they are here. And with so many extra-curriculars you can become involved so much that you have a full day every day of the week. The school's size is the perfect size at around 5,000; not too small to know everyone, and not too large to get lost and go unnoticed.

willie

School administration cancelled bar parties. If there is one thing that unites the students, it is whenever they do that. It happens every few years and usually ends up not being a big deal-but it is the most riled up I've ever seen people here.

Quite frankly, one of the biggest draws of the University of Rochester is our open curriculum. Don't want to take math ever again? Well, then you probably won't need to. Think required gym was stupid? Good, you don't need that either, but if you do decide to take one, that's fine too. What happens is that all the classes are split into 3 different categories: Humanities, Natural Science and Social Science. Your major, once declared, will fall into one of the three categories. The remaining two categories require the completion of two clusters, one in each remaining category. The clusters are 3 related classes and there are a ton of choices. So many that I see multiple classes I would love to take, but simply don't have room for. A large majority of the teachers really want to see you do well, and there are a ton of options if you are struggling. I have teachers who know every person's name in a 100 person lecture hall. We're a small school, and I wouldn't change it as it's a small town feel with the option of the big city right there. Seriously, take the Red Line of our busing options and there's the city! You will get people who go "Oh, Rochester, RIT right?" when you tell them where you are going. I know I did in my hometown. However, the University has a name and a reputation so while the average person on the street in my hometown thought RIT, my primary care doctor, and the nursing staff knew exactly where I was going and were thrilled for me. Dealing with the financial aid offices can be frustrating at times, but I see that at almost every school that my friends go to and my brother went to. Sometimes people are not as responsive via email as I would like, or the email goes into the spam box, but these are both fixable problems. There is a price tag, and that was, and still is, the biggest drawback. College is expensive, but I cannot see myself anywhere but here at the University of Rochester.

University of Rochester is not a flawless school. No school is. People complain about Dining Services, the Rochester city area, etc., but as a senior in my final year here, what I notice most about the student experience at U of R is that everyone is happy. While everything may not be perfect, so many things have gotten so much better over the past four years. The admins are completely willing to revamp entire dining centers or build a new dorm (or two) if they need to--recession or no recession. Stay here long enough, and you'll see how hard they're working to make this campus a great place for students... even if they do mess things up now and again. Moreover, U of R is a beautiful campus filled with positive and talented people. There's a niche here for everyone, and you're sure to live a balanced life while still actively engaging in challenging classes with some of the best educators in the country. I've had dinner at professors' houses and even consider some of them personal friends. Plus, professors will not hesitate to put in a little extra work if it will do a student good. I can't tell you how many times professors have invited me to plays they thought I'd find interesting, offered me a job/research opportunity, or even nominated me for a student award. And they do all of this for me and for many others simply because they appreciate their students. U of R is a small school with a lot of resources, opportunities, and (most importantly) heart. You will have a great time here; you will make lifelong friends and connections; you will receive an education that you can proud of and that others will respect.

Bradley

Involvement is what stands out to me most about the UR. We have hundreds of student organizations... way more than other peer schools. And almost everybody is involved in SOMETHING, because there is a group and community for every interest and passion. http://sa.rochester.edu/clubs/ Students are also really passionate about their interests: few students simply take classes and end their day at that. Most are involved in some sort of additional academic research, innovation, or other project at the school or in the community. The administration is also really encouraging. To connect with a faculty member you have to put yourself out there, and take the initiative to set up a meeting... but I've found that almost all of them are not only receptive, but excited about getting to know you. The deans are really connected with the community. Speaking of the community... I was surprised by how vibrant the music, performance, and art scene is in Rochester. There are a surprising number of great restaurants too. But a lot of that is a ways of campus. There are discounted taxis, free shuttles, busses, and free bike rentals to get you there... but this is a suburban campus moreso than urban, so sometimes getting out takes planning.