University of San Diego Top Questions

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Madelyn

There are a few different eating options on campus: 1. SLP - this is the main dining area. Dinner costs a meal plan, but breakfast and lunch here cost regular money. You have the option to use Dining Dollars or Campus Cash at any eateries on campus. It's a bit pricy but there are a lot of options and it's always pretty good. 2. La Paloma - this is probably the most popular place to eat on campus. They serve delicious sandwiches, soups and salads. A lot of the stuff is "grab and go" - so it's already prepared and refrigerated salads and soups. They also have a hot food bar that provides salmon and Indian food, etc. It kinda changes by the day. I highly recommend getting the Tomato Bisque Soup and the ATT sandwich. Lots of gluten-free options here. HUGE lines on Tuesdays and Thursdays during dead hours. 3. Bert's - this carries sandwiches, BBQ and chicken fingers. More like a grill than anything else. It's a bit out of the way so a lot of people forget to go there, but it's always been pretty good and the line is shorter than La Paloma. 4. Aroma's Cafe - mostly just a coffee shop. Also has good teas and recently started serving crepes. Also has some "grab and go" stuff like bagels, croissants, donuts, fruit cups, etc. 5. Tu Mercado - gross sandwiches with hard bread. I would never eat here except that they have gluten-free bagels. Also has some fabulous smoothies. For some reason people still eat here and I'm completely confused by it. Let me briefly explain the meal plans. There are three different ways to pay for things using your Campus ID Card. Meal Plan: You can only use a "meal plan" credit at dinner in the SLP. Otherwise, dinner costs about 13 dollars. Dining Dollars: Real money that you put on your ID that can only be used at dining places, like the ones listed above. Campus Cash: Real money that you put on your ID card that can be used for almost anything on campus. Think books, food, tape, supplies, etc.

Madelyn