University of Scranton

« See more reviews of University of Scranton

Going back in time I would have told myself that the University of Scranton was the perfect choice and that there would be no reason to apply to the other 7 schools. I would tell myself that an exercise science major is one of the toughest majors at the University but also the most interesting one to pursue. Keep up to date on scholarships and finacial aid because they sometimes like to confuse you on how your aid package works. I would say to find a workstudy jobs sooner; somewhere you're interested in and that pays better than minumum wage. The counselors in your department are amazing and help you in anything you may have questions about. Be ready to not get the classes you want when you first registar but don't worry because people always drop out and you will definately find a spot. The campus has an amazing tech support, so any problem with your computer go to them. Be prepared for the icy winters and long rainy Scranton days. The varsity volleyball team wont be the best this year but stick with it because it has it's rewards. Go To The University Of Scranton!

My advice would be to calm down and take life as it comes. Society sets high rules for people who are privileged enough to be able to attend college and take out student loans. When I arrived at college, I took everything very seriously diving in my studies, seeking out academic help and focusing completely on my future. I am now six months away from graduating and wish I had just calmed down my freshman year and enjoyed myself more. Life isn't all about the future, its about the present. I realized this after a few semesters. You can enjoy yourself and get your work done. I wish I had done more activites -- future students should dive in to anything they want to do. Remember, the world is yours to explore. I like to think that college teaches you two things : academic and knowledge for your future career but also life skills to get you on your way to adulthood. College was a great experience and I cannot believe is almost over. Future students should enjoy every moment of their college life because before they know it the real world is just right around the corner!

What I would say to parents is that this is something you really need to stress to your child is more an individual choice than your choice. Though it is important to keep monetary limitations in mind, especially with today's economic crisis; finding the right college for your child should be more focused on the academic and social needs of your child. There are always grants, loads, scholarships, ect to help the financial situation. For children, I would say that you should sit down first and decide what you want from your college academically. What topic areas interest you? You do not have to necessarily pick a topic, but keep some in mind so that you can pick schools with strong programs in these areas. I would also say that you should pick a school that fits your academic and social needs. Do you have enough self motivation to go to a party school and still succeed? Can you live far from home? Would you want to live far away from home? Lastly I would take into account the type of environment the school is, city, large school, small school, or rural area.

Obviously this is not high school anymore. Your parents are not around to push you to study, do your work, and attend class. My best advice to you is not let all the freedom go to your head. Its better in the long run to keep up with assignments and don?t let them build up to the point where a million things are all do at once. The syllabus is your lifeline. Professors will not always remind you when things are due. Be concerned about your grades before the fact, not after your already failing. Get to know your professors. Most of them are here because they love teaching and want to see their students succeed. Be sure to check the syllabus for when their hours are and whether you need an appointment. Don?t forget to have fun and stay active. There are so many clubs, sports and intramurals on campus. Join something, it?s a great way to make friends, have fun, and fight of homesickness. Relax, if you have questions, don?t hesitate to ask. Everyone on campus was new one time to, they understand. Have a great year!

I would tell myself not to slack off and stay consistent with my studying habits because the professors go chapter by chapter in every class instead a week or two like in high school. I would tell myself to finish my senior year with great grades in order to recieve more scholarship money from the institution and will not be in debt in the future. I would tell myself to make friends who want to study and succeed because if you make friends with those who do not, you will follow in their footsteps without realizing it. I will tell myself to join more academic related clubs to gain more experience in my career. I would tell myself to volunteer more and particiapte in more service trips. I would tell myself to hit the gym when I get stressed instead of playing video games and over eating. I would tell myself not to lose my faith and make it to church every Sunday and weekdays if possible. I would tell myself to stay positive in every situation and not to give up on anything. I would tell myself to stay focus and not be preoccupied with things nonschool related.

We are what we choose to become, it really is that easy. It actually starts from the moment you walked out of the classroom in your senior year and continues on throughout life. With focus on completing the steps towards obtaining my degree; I must realize it is something I have sole control over in my life. Once I have a belief, it should held on to it for dear life, and there will always be things that are encounter along the way. Though knowledge is what seperates everyone though its also what brings us closer together! These ideas could be a small change to an exsisting item, or something thats still is in the dream process. We all will format our ideas; that we believe could make the world a better place, though the majority that hold a particular degree are first heard and primarily are the one's whose idea's are chosen. At least once in our life we'll all label something in our mind and then make a decision about it. But, with the right source of education and thinking skills, I will soon be prepared to make those choices and get my voice heard.

Choosing your college is an important decision, but one of the biggest pieces of advice I can give is not to take it too seriously. Do your research, visit campuses, but don't drive yourself crazy, and especially don't force yourself into a decision because you think you need to pick a school early. Have fun making your choices, because whatever you pick will impact your life greatly. For me, I never even considered going to my college until I first came to visit the campus. I could immediately picture myself there, making mine an easy choice. However, I have no less than four good friends who have changed schools at least once, one who even returned to her original school. So weigh all your options, look for a school that will challenge you, that has a good location and appealing activities for you. But most of all look for a school where you can be happy. College can be the hardest, but most exciting and freeing time of your life. Open yourself up to new experiences and to new people, because in the end, college is really what you make of it.

It is important for both the student and family to visit the college and see the surrounding area. If you like they city, go to the city. If you are laid-back and like the suburbs, go to a low key school, and know that there will most-likely only be house parties on the weekends for a social life. The student has to find his/her right fit with a college and the parent must understand why they like the college, and has to be willing to deal with the finances, especially the high cost of transportation today. Once a student is enrolled, my best advice is to get involved, meet people, and find your niche within the school. It is important to be involved and to feel important too; they you are making a difference. Then, before graduation, definitely get an internship. No matter how much theory one may learn in the classroom, it doesn't even compare to what you learn in the real-world setting, at a real job. Internships are very important, plus, recruiters love that you have gained some kind of experience when applying for your first job!

I have always dreamed of going to college. I never considered any other option. I know that if I work hard at school that it will pay off later down the road. Even though I was not keen on going to a community college at first I actually quite enjoyed it. I learned a lot of information from my professors and met many nice people. I am a very shy person and I was able to become more confident and open when I went to college. It helped me take another step into my adult future, which can be scary sometimes. I learned that college was not as scary as I thought it was going to be and that if I work hard everything will work out. I love going to class and learning information everyday. I feel smart and I feel that I am doing something great with my life. I cannot imagine not going to college. Having a degree from any college offers you many more opportunities that just a regular high school diploma or GED. Watching other parents coming back to college made me realize that going directly from high school to college was a smart choice.

Hey Morgan! I know you think college is all about socializing and having fun, but it?s also tons of hard work. Yeah I know you have heard this speech before but not from me and who knows you better than I do? You say you will be different then, that you will work harder and do what you need to do. It?s not that simple. There will be a million distractions around (boys). You are going to be living with your friends and there will always be something more exciting (college boys) than the chapter of biology waiting to be read. Yep I know how much you love hanging out with the guys, but they are not going to help you reach your dreams. You cannot afford to skip the assigned reading, or skip classes (and no sleeping in the back does not count as going), and then just quickly glance over your incomplete notes moments before the exam. I know it works now, but it won?t then. Trust me I tried. My advice have study sessions with your friends, then go to the library and by yourself, and actually study without the gossiping and boys.