University of Scranton

« See more reviews of University of Scranton

Education is extremely important to me and always has been. I've made great efforts to gain knowledge about the medical field in order to prepare myself for my career.       My dream of working in the medical field has been my number one goal since childhood. My career goals have always been the driving force in my decisions regarding my future.       Even after I get my degree as a Respiratory Therapist, I feel that goals will continue to motivate me. With my goals driving me, I don't think there is anything I cannot accomplish!       Receiving this scholarship will help me to accomplish the goal I've set for myself. Because I'm not financially blessed I will need to receive help from as many avenues as possible. I am hopeful that you will feel I am deserving enough for the help you are providing. Sincerely, Misty D. Caldwell

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about my college transition, I would tell myself to not be as nervous as I was. I've only been in school a month and I love it! I have so many friends, and the things I have been learning are very interseting. I would also tell myself to prepare for the amount of work I was about to endure. College is more work than any high-schooler could imagine. A lot of the learning is not done in class, but on your own. Learning the material is up to the student rather than the teacher in college. Another piece of advice I would give myself would be to enjoy my home, friends, and family in my high school years before leaving for the next chapter in my life. Although I do love my family, and friends, I wish I had appreciated seeing them whenever I wanted to before I left for college.

The best thing to do when looking for a college is to scout out all your options. Understand what the college atmosphere will be like. You must make sure that you are aware before you even start looking for colleges what you want your expierence to be. Weather in reguards to sports, size of classes, size of school, if greek life will be important. All these options must be weighed in order for a great college expierence. Less importantly, knowing what you would like to study does help. When in college the biggest thing anyone will ever tell you about having a good college expierence is time management. If you are able to manage your time well and are able to study dilegently when you need to. College is not a hard place. It is a great place to expand your horizons socially and academically. College is great!

As a half-way complete freshman, I would tell myself the following advices. Work hard on deciding what kind of career you want senior year, so you can decide a correct major, therefore freshman year credits aren't wasted on deciding. Take a couple AP courses and TAKE the AP test so you get credits for it, this allows you avoid some Gereral Ed courses during freshman year. Definitely study hard your senior year, do not slack off, or else you will pay the price. When deciding on a college, do not base your choice by where your friend is going to but decide on what is the best enviroment and choice for you. Lastly, College is going to be the best years of your life. The first week or two of college is going to be very hard, but if you pull through those weeks, it will be so much better. Don't quit, don't give up.

Dear Katie, You may think that you've had plenty of fun in high school, but your college years are some of the best to come. Choose your college wisely and make sure to visit multiple times to check out the campus, academics, athletics, and also people you can relate to. College may become overwhelming at times with an extreme amount of work, but you will come to the realization that the information you learn will be information that will be helpful throughout your entire lifetime and career. You will also make the best of friends who may make an impact on your life as well. Overall, I encourage you to work your hardest and to be open to the opportunities ahead of you. In beginning a new chapter of life, I encourage you to take opportunities, work toward your goals, and do the best to your abilities.

Take your time in deciding what you want to do. Learn about different majors, minors, and possible research opportunities. Once you know what you might want to do for a career, explore it as much as possible. Don't be afraid to ask for advice and help from advisors and teachers. Find a mentor who is an expert in the field you chose. They will be able to help you a lot. Don't work too much while in school because it will affect your studies. Do not slack on studying. Do not underestimate the classes that you will take. Everything is going to be challenging, but it does get easier after a few weeks. Once you get into the routine, it will all fall into place. Freak outs and nervous breakdowns are normal, and once you are in school for a while, a lot of worries will go away. Try not to stress out too much.

Finding the right college is only difficult if you make it difficult. Explore the college that makes you feel the most comfortable and worry about what you want to study when you arrive. My decision process for college was one of my most stressful times. I applied to six schools. I ended up going to the only one I did not have an official visit. Instead, I enjoyed a night staying on my own time. I got to know the student population without any bias opinion. I felt comfortable and I have never regretted my choice. I have only regretted making my decision more stressful then it had to be. As for making the most of your college experience, college is full of young people who are looking for different things. It is easy to find somebody with similar interest. It is a fun and exciting experience.

I know you think prestige is one of the most important things in choosing a college, but the most important aspects in choice of college are how well it will prepare you for your future and how you will be treated. You will be happiest where you can interact with faculty on a personal level and gain the attention you need. Most of all, go where you will be around the people you love who support you. I know right now you are focused on being the best in your class, but once you get to college that will not work anymore. Work towards being your best, not being the best. And college is a confusing time for everyone. Always remember to take your time when trying to figure out exactly what you want to do with your life. Oh, and boys will always be there; college acceptances will not.

My advice to myself would be not to waste time. There are certain things that need to be done in a timely manner and so many issues could be avoided simply by not putting them off. I would also tell myself not to worry too much because everything will work out, possibly better than I expected. As far as making the transition to college life I would tell myself not to be nervous. There are people going who are just like me; alone for the first time without parents around everyday. However, it really is not as bad as I was always worried about. There is always a way to get home if I really feel the need to be there and family is only a phone call away. I would tell myself to relax and also to study hard, even though the classes may seem easy the finals can be brutal.

As a highschool senior I was very fearful of the future. If I could go back and tell myself what I know now, I'd tell myself to relax. I was so scared of moving away from home. I'd tell myself that adjusting to a new location was easier than I thought. I'd also tell myself not to worry about the class loads, I would be able to handle it. I'd tell myself to not procrastinate and take every advantage to study and ask questions. I'd also tell myself that I would make a new group of friends, and I'd love my roommate and my floor mates. Overall, I'd tell myself to keep my head high, and know that everything will be okay. Transitioning may seem hard at first, but in a few weeks, I wouldn't feel so home sick! Everyting will fall into place!