University of Scranton

« See more reviews of University of Scranton

Be true to yourself. If you pretend to be someone else, you are not only going to fail, but no one will take you seriously. As you transition to your college lifestyle, it may be difficult at times to not want to fit into the status quo of ‘what everyone else is doing.’ I encourage you to persevere. And trust me. It will be worth it. When you come to know the wisdom of this statement, you will look back at your lifestyle and simply be in awe of who you have become and what you have accomplished.

I would give the advice of following your heart. A school may look good on paper,or seem like it would be the most practical decision. However,if you aren't happy about where you're going, you're not going to get a lot out of your college experience. A lot of my friends went to colleges that their parents had decided on for them, and they wound up either partying their way out, or failing out. So follow your heart, and do what is going to make you happy.

I would tell myself not to worry as much about making the decision about where to go to school. I was afraid of making the wrong choice, but I knew where I wanted to go the day I received the acceptance letter. I was just afraid to admit it just in case I ended up regretting it or not liking the school as much as I thought I would. I wish I had made the decision months earlier when I revieved my letter. It would have saved me a lot of stress!

The most important thing I have gotten out of my college experience so far is myself. College has taught me who am I, and how important it is to keep to my beliefs and not compromise myself. I think I used to struggle with being myself, but attending college has allowed me to see how important that is. It has been incredibly valuable for me to attend college because I now have more confidence and I'm not afraid to be myself.

I would tell myself to make a more careful decision in the college process. Look into a college where you can get every benefit weather it be in greek life, sports or academic groups. I'd say this because where I am now i feel so limited. I have yet to make many friends and feel restricted from whom or what i can meet and do in school. I'd tell myself to look into a place i know i want to be for the next four years.

I would tell myself to look more into colleges earlier on instead of waiting until last second and to take the search more seriously. To look more into the academics and financial aid packages of the schools and to actually visit more than 4 schools. I would also tell myself to look in to financial aid more because it is costly to attend a good university and to also do work study, because every little bit helps.

Think of what is most important to you about what you want out of a school. Some apparently insignificant things (like weather, the local area, quality of the gym and library) can actually end up more important than you realized, even more important than things such as school size, political stance, and dorm quality. Think of the things that will be important on a day-to-day basis, and choose from there.

Talk to as many students as you can to get an idea of the school. Their opinions will be completely honest and unbiased because of course they have nothing to gain from talking you into coming to their school. Also, try to get a good idea of what you want your major to be. If you do, you can find what school can best compensate you by talking to students and faculty in those particular fields.

I would advise myself to never pass up an opportunity to have fun and make friends, especially freshman year. I would also advise myself to complete homework right after class and in between classes so I have less to do at night. Additionally, I would tell myself to take advantage of the gym and other facilities that are available to me in college that I do not necessarily have a home.

I would tell myself that there is no rush to decide on a future despite what people are telling you. Authority figures and college will tell you to without giving you time to explore your options. You should enjoy your youth now, and not rush into the future of the business world. You will regret it, and end up feeling like you missed out on something exciting.