University of Southern Mississippi

« See more reviews of University of Southern Mississippi

The worst thing about the University of Southern Mississippi is its nearly total lack of diversity. While the two major ethnic groups of the geographical region are well represented, there is a serious lacking of other ethnic groups; the university is simply a reflection of the surrounding population. Unfortunately, religious diversity is not present either. Finally, the university if not culturally diverse, southern culture, food, lifestyle and thought dominates both the students and the majority of the faculty. While this can provide a positive insulating effect for some students, for others it can be smothering.

The worst I would say is the amount of interesting activities on and off campus. Everything that would be fun to attend its very expensive. Also everything closes very early around especially one the weekeds. I want the full college experience but I am cursed with the curfews and social restrictions that Mississippi has to offer. There isn't much of a nightlife in Hattiesburg or anywhere in Mississippi. So I believe that the campus and surrounding areas are very dull and boring.

The worst thing about my school is the food. You don't get what you pay for but it is not just here it is at most other schools as well. The food places on campus do not stay open late enough for an average college student. Most campus food places that are affordable close at 8pm and then you are left hungry until the morning and the only place open to eat on the weekend is the cafeteria. It is a great school but beware the food!

The worst thing about USM would have to be the Math Zone. You are required to spend 3 dreaded hours in there a week to do what may take you thirty minutes. You take everything on computer and practically teach yourself. Some of the people who work in there really know what they're talking about whereas others have no clue. I actually had a lady tell me she had no idea what a problem was. Now thats scary.

The worst thing i would consider about my school is the tuition cost. It is very expensive and I barley can afford it. I receive financial aid but it dosent cover my books, gas money, food to eat, and other charges that I have left to pay for school, I have to pay out of pocket for all of these things. I struggle to make my payments but school is my priority and I am focused at that.

The worst thing about my school is the food. The cafeteria serves some good food, but they do not serve the good dishes enough. The thing that is ALWAYS served is pizza which used to be one of my favorite foods but is now a dreaded sight. The most served dishes are usually greasy or covered in something gross.

It's hard to say anything unfavorable about a school you love. I guess the student professor communications will have to be it for me. The hardest part for me was going from high school where you talk to your teachers to college where you do a lot of e-mailing with your professors.

The worst thing about this school is the emphasis on sororities and fraternities to bring in more students instead of the school itself. It seems that the quality of our Greek Life is more important sometimes than the education that we are getting.

The worst thing about my school would have to be the limited parking. There is plenty of parking for the students who don't live on campus, but not so much for us students who actually live on campus.

The lack of school-funded transportation. My dorm is several blocks off campus; I have to bike to class every morning. And don't even get me started on how long it takes to walk to the cafeteria.