University of Southern Mississippi

« See more reviews of University of Southern Mississippi

I haven't really run into anything that is frustrating at Southern Miss, except for their method for instruction in mathematics. You do not get to have a regular class despite paying tuition for it; rather, you are relegated to taking an online course in the "Math Zone." You get zero feedback, and help is available in the form of a instructor roaming the Zone but try flagging down an instructor while vying with a couple hundred other students that are also asking for help. It is a travesty.

When I attended USM, the school was transitioning into a 'walking campus'. I liked the idea of reducing traffic and promoting exercise and safety but it cut down the amount of convenient parking for off-campus students (like me). Also, the campus is huge and very spread out so if you have two classes on opposite sides of the campus, you may find yourself jogging a bit to make it. If this is my biggest complaint then I'm reeeeealy stretching to find something frustrating about my school.

The most frustrating thing about Southern Miss is the money end of it. The loans do not come in when they are supposed to, neither does state financial aid. This is not always the school's fault, but when a payment is due and the money has not come in there is much added stress. I want the due date for tuition not to be before the semester begins. I simply have a very hard time coming up with the money as do all of my friends.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the housing. USM has two off campus dorms that are placed across the street of the school on both sides of the campus. It is very hectic trying to cross the street everyday on a very busy street. Most of the dorms but one are very old and need repairs. I would suggest getting an apartment if afforable after your first year on campus. The freshmen dorms are decent!

Sometimes the most frustrating thing at this school could be not being able to actually afford school, yet you still return each semester hoping that you recieve a grant or scholarship. Another thing could be the cafeteria food, and their lack of variety food choices. Furthermore, school itself can become frustrating because of shool work and sometimes the lack of a social life.

Recieving financial aid and getting out of paying out-of- state fees. It takes a little while to make friends but, you do evenually. The up keep of some of the dorms is not so great with some of the older ones that I have stayed in. Also, some classes are non transferable so your having to retaking classes you have all ready taking from preious schools.

The most frustrating thing about attending a school like this was the location. Being a musician and living in a smaller town like Hattiesburg did not leave much opportunity for students to perform in the area. I also feel that the school could have done a better job of preparing their students for the world outside of college life.

Being able to balance studying and social activities is frustrating to me. I have recently made the decision that I will study during the week like it is my job and go out on Saturday night. You have to have a some fun!

Most frustrating thing about my school is having teachers who are foreigners and I am not able to understand them when they speak. These teachers also make no allowances for not being able to understand.

I wouldn't say that there is anything super frustrating about this school. It's really great, but one thing that I dont like is when I am late to class and people are trying to stop and talk to me.