University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

Last spring, as the colleges I was considering attending grew smaller, I found it increasingly difficult to differentiate between the schools. Despite this, the University of Tulsa stood out in one important area: community. The strong community at TU creates a hospitable environment that encourages involvement in clubs, government, service and research no matter what your year, race, major or experience. The compact campus, small class size, and friendly nature of the students not only provided an intimate setting I could not find at other universities, but it also allowed me to immediately immerse myself in new activities and endeavors.

Most schools I considered are large state schools, so the size of the university and of each individual class is differs dramatically. My academic advisor is also my program director and active in the professional organization for my major. Students and professors know each other and have an friendly working relationship. TU emphasizes study abroad and transfers scholarships to follow you when you go abroad. This, combined with the large number of international students attending TU creates an atmosphere of cultural awareness and involvement on campus. Twice a year there are events displaying all of the countries represented at TU.

The bottom line: I'm from Tulsa and I was worried to go to school here because of my friends from high school and my parents. I wanted to live my own life and grow up. One day I woke up in April of my senior year and I knew that I should go to TU. I was hesitatant the first few weeks, but I quickly realized that I had made the right decision. 99.9% of everyone I talk to says they feel the same way, that they feel like TU is their home. I guess you could say TU is kind of like eating warm and gooey chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk in front of a fire place on a cold winter day.

The worst thing at TU is the cafeteria. While many other colleges have multiple cafeterias, open at all hours of day and night, TU is sorely lacking in proper scheduling and nutrition. THe food is mediocre and the cafeteria is not open at necessarily convenient times for students. There should be multiple cafeterias with a wide variety of foods to chose from, and they should be open from 6 in the morning until early hours of the next morning. The cafeteria is the worst problem I have faced on campus, and as someone with limited resources, I can't afford to have a mediocre cafeteria.

University of Tulsa is an incubator for ambitious students. We now have a fellowship call Nova Fellowship. It provides a community of students a chance to practice and produce creative ideas to help their community. It allows students to become innovative in producing a product, service or non-profit and see if it works. We are provided a budget and team up with students from every department and school within TU. I have not heard of any other university provide an opportunity like this. I want my tea business and this is exactly what I need to develope entrepreneurial skills.

The University of Tulsa is the smallest Division 1 athletic school in the nation. As a result, Tulsa has a great atmosphere combined with top quality academics with small class sizes. You have a freedom to excercise your religious and political views that are not subject to criticism, and you will make friendships that last a lifetime. I am extremely impressed with post-graduate job placement as well. My careeer path in the Energy Management field has supplied me with an internship every summer I have been at this University. It is truly an impressive place.

As a transfer student from the U.S. Air Force Academy, the University of Tulsa will be a fantastic change; almost one extreme to the other. From the stoic and powerful nature of military life to the serenity and uniqueness of a liberal arts school, life brings me to yet another exciting adventure. The University of Tulsa offers the prestige and content of an Ivy League with a home-town college feel, while providing me the perfect opportunity to finish what I started and truly earn my degree in order to pay it forward to the next generation.

Our faculty is very helpful! They want the students to do well. When we do well in the working world the professors feel like they have done a good job. Since the faculty has such high standards and wants us to do well it is no surprise that some majors such as mine have a 100% job placement rate. This is great because we come to college to aquire a degree which will help us to excel in the working world. Also, students here on campus are very friendly. TU students are outgoing, helpful, friendly and usually good-hearted!

TU is a prestigious school. No one is going to go to TU because they heard it was a party school. I wanted to go somewhere that would push me to my limits during school, but really pay off for me in the end. I knew that TU would do that for me better than any of the other schools I was looking at because of the student to teacher ratio, helpfulness of the professors, and the success rate of students graduating with careers in their field. TU is a top 100 school in the US. That says something.

Campus is really cool about alcohol. If a fraternity is going to have a big party, they have to register it and provide security. This means that 2 Tulsa police are inside the actual house and one outside with their cars parker right out front. They aren't there to catch underage drinkers: they are there to make sure no one gets out of control or in case of emergency. Campus as a whole is really good about letting college kids be kids but still maintaining safety and good communications.