University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

Keep a completely open mind. Don't pass down opportunities to try new things, meet new people, see new places just because it seems "weird" or you never thought about it before. But do everything while sticking to your morals, and go with your gut feeling about things, it's usually right. You're mature, you have a great head on your shoulders - but don't get too confident about that - always remember you have so far to go, and so much to learn. Don't try to replace the best friends you had in high school, forge new friendships; once you realize the new friendships are different and uncomparable to the old, you will enjoy them so much more. In conclusion, trust your friends, trust your family, trust yourself, and trust in God.

I would tell myself that instead of just deciding to go to a small junior college and then transferring, actually go on a college visit or to college weekends and see what might be out there and available for me. I also would have told myself that the funds to go to college will be there for me if I just work hard with my studies and apply for scholarships. So stop letting fear hold you back and understand that in life sometimes there are risks that I am going to have to take in order to make something of myself. I think the last thing I would tell myself is that my decisions from highschool and college will make a drastic impact on my life going forward so make the best of it and know that I can do anything I set my mind to.

It is imperative to find a university that will accomendate all of you child's need whether it be academic, social and physical. Choose a college that has a strong academic background. College was designed to enrich a student's mind and to provide higher education. The atmosphere has to inviting and uplifting. It should be a environment that drives one to become apart of the environment and meet others. Universities are known for extra curricular activites if not academics. So, it is also important to get involved and have a sense of pride of the school. No matter what university is chosen make sure that the student's needs are met . It is nothing like loving the educational institution from which you have graduated!

Some advice I would give my high school self is to do research on different colleges and scholarships. I wish I would have had someone to guide me in the right direction for life after high school and what to expect. Definitely be social and make new friends. They will be your study buddy and best friend during the duration of that class and even beyond that. Don't ever hesitate to reach out to your professors or any other school resource in a time of need. They are there to help you. Study ten times more then you think you would ever need to and always stay on top of assignments and don't procrastinate. College is definitely difficult but with a good support group and a good head on your shoulders you will do just fine.

I would tell myself to start much earlier. That the advantage of applying and creating as many opportunities as possible is astounding. I would inform myself that working hard to apply to as many schools as I could, and as many scholorships as I could now would make my life easier later. I only applied to one school, and now I know I should have given myself several options. I would tell him to work on his writing skills, and improve his ACT score. I would also tell myself that even though this last year of high school seems long I should cherish the time I will spend with my freinds. I may not see some of the people I have gone to school with all my life ever again. I'm sure I would appreciate the advice.

Do everything you can to be involved in school and get straight A's and good test scores. It is so hard to find scholarships your senior year in high school because you have no more time to improve your grades and impress those who choose scholarship recipients. It can be so simple to get a full ride scholarship to a great University and never have to worry about how you are going to afford college. All you have to do is stay productive and get good grades. It may seem worth it to procrastinate, or date, or hang out with friends instead of putting 100% effort into studying, but my greatest regret is that I could've tried just a little harder, been at the top of my class, and had my choice of schools for free.

From my college experience, I have obtained life-long friendships with fellow students and professors; I have obtained work-related skills that will be useful when I begin my career after I graduate; I have obtained, and still working on, an amazing education that I do not know if I could find anywhere else. I did not grow up in the best family enviroment and would have never imagined attending college - let alone a private university such as the University of Tulsa. I have been encouraged to better my life, with an education, with the help and motivation of professors and counselors alike. I am proud to call myself a Golden Hurricane. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would follow the same path.

I would tell my senior in high school self that I shouldn't be so nervous to make the transition between high school and college. Although, I would also tell myself that I need to work on my study habits so it wouldn't be such a foreign thing once I got to college. In high school, I just coasted through without studying too hard and had my parents there to keep me from going out on school nights. Now that I'm in college, I have to study much harder and have to have the self-control to stay in and do homework when people are wanting me to go out with them. But more importantly I would tell myself to just relax and enjoy the time in college because it has turned out to be the best semester of my life.

I would inform myself that work ethic and motivation are extremely important in your college career. You do not attend a University to simply earn a degree, you go to learn and develop practical knowledge that will assist you in your career field. You must keep an open mind and never allow yourself to become to comfortable with one method of thinking. Allow your mind to encompass all perspectives and develop a knew sense of understanding. With this understanding you can work hard and push yourself to do great things in the time that you have at college. You have been given a tremendous gift of having the priviledge to attend a place of higher education where you can realize your full potential.

If I could go back in time and give advice to my high school senior-self about college life and the transition from high school to college, it would be about time management. When you arrive at school and begin classes, it seems like you have so much time in comparison to the time spent in the classroom in high school. What most students fail to realize is that for every hour spent in class, there are 2-3 hours that should be spend studying outside of the classroom if you really want to succeed in the course. Also, don't be hesitant to approach the professors with questions - they are there to teach you, and most of them love to have discussions with students about their respective subjects.