University of Tulsa

« See more reviews of University of Tulsa

Knowing what I now know about my college and college life, my high school self would have felt very enlightened to have heard some advice like this: Just be confident in yourself and do what you do best. Everyone at a university has their own unique style and they all work together to form one of the most functional communities out there. Also, no matter how smart or good you think you are at something, when you get to college there is always some nerd who is smarter or better at it than you. Practice, study and tell your determined, resolute self within to do whatever it takes if you really want to excel in something.

Dear Mary, Please manage your time! Get in the habit of taking good notes and don't be afraid to ask questions in class. Those discussions definitely help you understand the content better. I know there are a lot of things that look so exciting on campus, but you cannot be involved in every one of them so prioritize and pick the ones that you really have a passion for. Last, but not least, go for you dreams and expect that the best is yet to come even if you do bad on a test or don'thave enough sleep. You can make it and you will make a lot of friends that will support you no matter what! Good Luck! Sincerely, Me

If I were able to talk to the me of almost 20 years ago, I graduated high school in 1996, I would give myself the following advice. First of all, listen to your parents. They are not trying to make your life miserable, they are trying to make your life productive. Expect for college to be very difficult and demanding accademically. Let the job at the grocery store go until summer and focus all of your attention on school. Your primary job right now is that of student. Don't be affraid to try new classes and explore the area of study that appeals to you most. Ask for help when you need it, and enjoy the ride.

Paying attention, going to classes, and meeting new people will help you with college. Don't procrastinate like you have done in High School it's always good to get your work done on time then late. It looks better on your character to show up to class on time and turn in the required work for that class. Meeting new people will help you realize thats its ok to be a little nervous everyone is there first year there is no problem with communicating that. Think about your financial future and a future family dont think about taking the easy way out its not always that easy.

If I was granted the opportunity to go back in time and talk to my high school self, I think the only thing I would say is to enjoy every minute of it and give it my all, in the classroom and in the social aspects. I really don't think I would want to be told what I should expect, because that is half of what college is about; brand new experiences, new trials, new friends, and new education. No if I could go back I would not say to do this, this, and this; or to change something. I would just say be prepared and open to new ideas and opportunities.

Looking back to my senior year, I would tell myself not to stress as much as I did. Although the application and scholarship process can be grueling, it is not worth the worry. Everything seems to naturally fall into place. I would also tell myself to go with my gut instict. Deciding between colleges is exceptionally difficult and seems so important at the time. While it is a big decision, whatever your heart tells you is likely the right choice. People try to influence the decision but it is essential to make the choice that is obvious to you.

I would tell myself that I have unlimited potential; therefore I should never be discouraged when different road blocks appear. Whenever a challenge arises I am fully capable of taking it on and handling it. I would also advise myself to begin making connections with professionals in the community, because this would help me attain things such as an internship, references of my character, as well as help me narrow down possible career paths. Lastly I would tell myself to never give up, because I have the ability to go as far as I choose to go.

If i could go back in time and talk to my self i would say not to be afraid to take chances and don't get hung up on mistakes. Always put yourself out there and take those shots at what ever because in the end it will help you learn that no matter the outcome of chance you still took it and that is sometimes more than what some people can say. Make those mistakes and learn from them you won't be perfect, but college isn't about being perfect. It is about an education. You will learn from your mistakes so take that as some advice or knowledge.

The best advice that I received was to make sure the professors know who you are and that you are serious about your grades. Make sure you've been to see each of your professors in their office because a one-on-one interacting conversation will make the difference in your grades, understanding the material and helping to develop contacts for the future. The best advice that I never got was to get involved in EVERYTHING. Join and take an office in a club, ask to assist in research and always keep and use business cards for future reference.

I would tell myself to have no fear. College is all about exploring yourself and learning who you are as a young adult. I would encourage myself to take more risks and take challenging classes. I would tell myself to learn something new, take a class about something I have never experienced before. Lastly, I would tell myself to meet new friends. Talk to strangers. Sit by someone you don't know in class. There are so many friendly faces in the world that I should meet. Don't fear rejection, but fear missed opportunity.