University of Utah

« See more reviews of University of Utah

The University of Utah is unique for many reasons. One outstanding reason is its pristine location. A student at the University of Utah can live in an urban environment, where it is possible to find diversity and social connection while having pristine wilderness in their back yard. The Wasatch Front is a mountain range that offers endless recreational opportunities. One can attend classes in the morning and be rock climbing, skiing, hiking, fishing or any number of other recreational pursuits, in the same afternoon. It offers a balance between social, artistic, academic stimulation and solitude with pristine recreation.

The university offers 72 undergraduate majors, over 70 minors and certificates, over 40 teaching majors and minors, and 95 major fields of study at the graduate level. Students at the undergraduate level can also create an individualized major under the direction of the Bachelor of University Studies program and the supervision of a tenure-track faculty member. Additionally, the university was the 58th highest for federal research expenditures, 52nd for National Academy of Sciences membership, 50th for faculty awards, 51st for doctorates awarded, and 42nd for postdoctoral appointees.

One unique quality of the University of Utah is that the staff and professors are always available to assist students in anyway. The other universities that i had considered made it difficult to even receive information reguarding the programs that they offered. Many of my professors at the U were even willing to give the students their home and cell phone numbers in order to make it possible for us as students to receive all the help we needed.The University of Utah has the capabilities of a large university with the attention and feel of a small community college.

The University of Utah has an incredible music program. I have absolutely loved my teachers and my classes. For my major, I am taking mostly music classes as a Freshman, therefore the class sizes are small and I am able to contact my professors. I particularly like having so much help on hand. The professors want to help me in any way to succeed; furthermore, we have an incredible Marriot Library with free tutoring! The campus is very involved in bringing everyone together through social events and often they have free food on the patio. It's a great school!

What sets Utah apart from other schools I considered is its location and academic excellence. I wanted a school close to home that ranked nationally in academic performance. I wanted a school where my family could participate in my education. Where my degree would carry weight. Where I would be prepared to become a successful entrepreneur. A place where my education would enable me to provide for my wife and children. The University of Utah gives me all those things. I know what I achieve here will make a difference in my life for many years to come.

At the U we are in an amazing location where we are able to have the best of two worlds: the city and nature. We're just a drive away from both since our campus is on the edge of a mountain. Also, for students whose parents won't allow them car, there is a wonderful and free city-wide transportation system that is incredibly easy to navigate. The only reason why I've survived college so far is through what I like to call weekly getaways into the mountains, or the city, looking for the day's study spot.

The food available on campus is absolutely horrible. The quality of the food in the student union and the student dining facility is not good at all. Choices are extremely limited, which makes it easy for the food to be sub-par. The parking at the U is also another one of the huge issues. Finding a parking spot in close proximity to everything at the U is near impossible. With that being said, its one of the small prices to pay for having such a spread out campus that has it's own unique feel.

What really made me choose the University of Utah over any other school was for the involvement that the student body puts into making freshman feel like they are a part of the group. When I would travel to different campuses they would accept me but they wouldn’t really bring me in under their wing and teach me all the possibilities that were available. That is exactly what the U did for me, as soon as I had arrived I was welcomed and brought into a ton of different clubs to get more involved.

The University is on the cutting edge on all fronts, Medical, Engineering, Chemistry, Visual Arts, Business and Performing Arts. The campus is unique with a 9 hole golf course in the middle, 4 performing arts theaters, 2 museums and home to the 2002 Winter Olympic Villege. The university is squeezed between Salt Lake City and the Mountains allowing for exploration of the outdoors or getting involved in a SMALL city. The Campus is also located only 25mins from 5 ski resorts.

The University of Utah is a large school that offers various options to make sure thier students get the best of their education. They offer classes that help freshman transition into their first year of college (such as LEAP), events that allow students to know what is available to them on the campus (Plaza Fest) which is held in the beginning of every semester. The University of Utah offers a variety of options in which students can become involved and succeed.