University of Washington-Seattle Campus

« See more reviews of University of Washington-Seattle Campus

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The stereotype I here frequently is that University of Washington Seattle campus students are social activists, mostly on subjects having to do with what some would consider to be minority social/cultural groups or who some consider to be the under represented. I feel that is stereotype is fairly accurate, though the students seem to be more into activism in general. I often witness or hear about students becoming involved in activities in which they have little to no knowledge about, beyond the fact that it is the current popular cause.

To be honest I'm not 100% percent sure of the stereotypes that people have of UW. I think the UW is awesome though! I was a little worried about the class size being large, but honestly the way the courses are structured and all the resources you have available to you makes you forget that you're in a class of 700 other students. The environment is great here, the opportunities are large and there is so much diversity that everyone is bound to find a group of people they get along with.

The genearl stereotype of UW students are that there is segregation between Greeks and non-Greeks. Also there is the notion that there are a lot of international students. Both of these are true to a certain degree. Greek students do tend to click better amongst themselves and UW has increased its acceptance rate to international students in the past few years. However, international students are still minority and its not like there is a hatred towards Greek students.

The stereotypes of UW-Seattle students is that they are all or mostly hipsters, and that half the student body are hard-partying Greek life-types who choose do-nothing majors, while the other half consists of robotic and cutthroat premed or computer science students. While the city of Seattle is home to a lot of hipsters, the UW student body is not quite as hipsterish as the surrounding city. However, the rest is pretty much true.

This statement isn't true because the student body is made up of so many different races and ethnicity. At UW, I was able to become friends with people from small towns in Bellingham, exchange students from Russia and Europe, immigrants from Nigeria and Ghana, and wonderful people from all over the world. It's an amazing opportunity to be in such a diverse and culturally-rich place.

The stereotype is that students in my university are smart and top because this is a well-known school. This is not really accurate. In fact, every community have "top people" and "not really top people," and even though a person is considered to be smart, but he or she can only be smart and good at one field, not all of the fields.

Asian, green, liberal Starbucks-dwellers. These stereotypes also work for Seattleans. As all stereotypes are fundamentally based off of some amount of truth, these stereotypes do represent a number of people here, but are highly inaccurate for many others.

UW > WSU Seriously though, UW has a reputation for having smart students. This is true, many students are highly motivated and very smart. However, you'll always find people that slack off just enough to get by.

My school is very diverse so it is hard to put a label on one group of people. However if i had to i would say there is a large group of chinese international students which you can usually tell if you see them

Yep - there are a lot of international students that come to the UW's Seattle campus, especially from China, Korea, Japan, etc. There is a very large percentage of Asian students that study here.