University of Washington-Seattle Campus

« See more reviews of University of Washington-Seattle Campus

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

I would say a good portion of the student body is in the Greek system, but most of the campus is very diverse in terms of both social groups and educational interests.

The UW is so big and well known for its programs and research in many different fields that there's just too many people to be able to classify any stereotypes.

Because the University of Washington is such a large school (around 50 thousand students in grad and undergrad) it can be hard to assign just one stereotype to our student body. There are many stereotypes perpetuated about our students that are, for certain students, entirely true. There really are stoners who barely pass classes because they are at home smoking all day. There really are geeks who run around campus with broomsticks in between their legs because they think they're Quidditch players. And there really are frat boys who work out at the school gym in tank tops so tiny that shouldn't even be worn by barbies. We have many stereotypes that apply to our student body and we own them. Going to the UW has taught me to embrace my inner geek, stoner, and frat boy (well I guess that last one doesn't really apply to me) because ultimately you have to realize that people will make snap judgements of you and if you can't learn to deal with it you'll spend the rest of your life worrying too much about what others think of you. Being a UW student is a life lesson in just being yourself and not worrying that others will undoubtedly judge you for it.

Some of the most common stereotypes about the University of Washington is that it is: a green campus, has large Asian population, research based, and a big Greek system. For the most part these stereotypes are true! Our campus is really green, almost everything used in our cafe's are compostable and there are recycling bins for everything imaginable. There is also a large Asian population here, however they are still the minority compared to white students. Also we are a research based institution so there are a lot of opportunities available to do research on our campus. Lastly, our Greek system is huge, so this in fact is true as well!

Everyone assumes that the students who attend the University of Washington in Seattle are the generic Pacific Northwest hipsters. While this may hold true, we have our fair share of other steroetypes: the ugg-clad lululemon wearing sorority girls, the socked and sandaled frat boy as well as the English-learning international student. That being said, it doesn't matter what you are, because Seattle-ites are crazy friendly, just don't poke anyone with your umbrella.

There is no one stereotype at the University of Washington, If I must categorize students (which I don't like to do, because there is always more to a person than what you see), there are the jocks, the smart kids, the gamers, the hippies, the hipsters, the otakus, the quiet kids who actually have a lot of spunk . . . the list just goes on . . .

The University of Washington has 3 campuses around the Puget Sound area: Seattle, Bothell and Tacoma. I currently go to the Tacoma campus, a much smaller campus than Seattle. This campus is a commuter campus, so the stereotypes range from working adults to fresh out of high school senior students. There are no sororities or frats at this campus.

Because our school is so large, I can't say that one stereotype exists for the student body. However, people say that we are a party school.

Students do not want to talk to FOB. They are racist. Asian people tend to hang out together. Kind of conservitive

UW is such a diverse school that I didn't even know of any stereotypes when I first came in to the school.