University of Washington-Seattle Campus

« See more reviews of University of Washington-Seattle Campus

This is one of my writing samples that is published on Unigo.com, a multimedia college platform. I am answering the question, what is your overall opinion of this school (University of Washington)? The best thing about the University of Washington is the smaller community within the larger campus. People become connected through different events and similar passions which often lead to sustaining friendships. Red Square, the center of campus, booms throughout the day with tents promoting clubs and other fun activities. Not to mention, the campus could not be more gorgeous with its Harry Potteresque buildings dripping with vines, blossoming cherry trees, and the fountain decorated with swimming ducks. Oh, but the education. That's pretty important right? Well, UW definitely knows how to teach and does it well. My teachers display an enthusiasm about teaching I never received in high school. My freshman year, my hands clasped my school map tightly as I sat down at my lecture boasting hundreds of students. And there stood my teacher, smiling. For the next few weeks, she begged us to come to office hours to speak with her, because she sought to know her students on a more personal level. This kindness did not fail my following quarters at UW and still can currently be seen. One of my professors memorized over 200 of our names in order to make us feel more comfortable and some required us to come to office hours, because they truly wanted to know about our backgrounds and personalities first hand. Of course there are some lectures that are boring, but there are always others that leave you on the edge of your seat waiting to hear more. It really depends on who is teaching. But either way, my educational experience has been undeniably the best I could have asked for or ever dreamed I could obtain. Although all the great qualities that drew me into UW's atmosphere fulfilled my expectations, I will admit I did feel isolated when I first came here. I found it hard to make new friends in my classes where everyone seemed they had a full quota and were not looking to meet anyone knew. Therefore the one thing I would change about UW is the way they handle assimilating freshmen into what at first seems like a giant campus and school population. Now that I have been here for two years, I have found my groove. My shyness slowly melted away and I have been able to meet new people in my classes, dorm, and on campus job I had as a freshmen. Husky pride in Seattle, oh...it's real wild. During football season last year, my ears perked up before I looked out my dorm room window. I smiled as I saw the entire school marching band wrapped in Christmas lights, hands clutching their instruments in the cool November air. It was the night before a football game. And everyone knew. The day of a game is also an exciting event here. Faces caked in purple and yellow paint jumping on two feet in the Dawg Pack, the student section at the games, is simply a necessity. The rain beats down on the relentless fans as their purple and gold beads dance up and down around their necks. This incredible enthusiasm doesn’t just end at the edge of campus either. Husky pride radiates all over Seattle despite the nonexistent sunshine. Every time I tell someone I go to UW people seem to pop out from everywhere to shout "ME TOO!" When I applied for my debit card at Bank of America, at least four different people working at the West Seattle bank all told me they were alumni. For this reason, I have always felt as if I was connected to something bigger. An entire community within my hometown all felt and went through the same experience as me. Trying to sleep in loud dorm rooms. Walking with rain soaked umbrellas through the red brick path on the quad. Giggling with my new friends. Discussing social issues that affect our community. They were who I have become, a college student at a highly acclaimed university. And boy, are they jealous they can't go back! Because my experience at UW is in fact priceless (despite the thousands in housing & tuition, but hey you can't be a college student without SOME debt right?). Another common reaction I get after speaking the name of my school is, "how did you get in there?" Curious eyes often beat down on me as if I just told them I had been chillin' inside Bill Gate's mansion this weekend. But I try to suppress my proud smile and simply tell them the tricks that every prospective student should know; I worked hard in high school. I earned my spot at UW by volunteering, getting good grades, and writing strong college essays. As a first generation college student, I knew and still understand the value of my education. Being accepted into UW, especially as an in-state resident, is not easy and is something to be envied. But you do not want to feel the people who get in to your desired school were accepted solely on the fact that it was easy, do you? I always wanted to go to a school that people took seriously, because to me, education is serious. Not to say that you can't have any fun, but it's important to crack down on the studying and homework more often than not. Because it is time to be someone and do something with your life, and after all, UW is an award winning school scattered with opportunities. So what are you doing? Apply and take one.

My experience at my school so far has been amazing. I love going there and I love the whole environment of it. My favorite thing about it would have to be the campus because it is so beautiful. I love architecture so I love staring at the older buildings and l love looking at how detailed they are. Suzzallo Library has to be one of the prettiest buildings in the country on both the inside and outside. I love the whole gothic architecture aspect of it and it is beautiful during the day and when it is all light up at night. When my bus drives around the perimeter of the campus, I simply stare out the window and look at all of the buildings. Denny Hall is another one that I appreciate because of the fact that it was built in the 1800's and then transported to the campus. The Quad is another part of my school that is beautiful. It is filled with trees and the leaves in the fall and spring especially make it a beautiful place to be. I love the whole atmosphere of my school. There are over 40,000 students there, but I love the busy feel of it. Everyone is really nice and seems to respect the school and the opportunity to go there. There are students everywhere off campus and all the businesses in the area seem to be built to cater to college students. There are restaurants, clothing stores, etc. that the people at my school frequent a lot. Directly across the street are the fraternities, sororities, and off campus housing so the students at my school almost "own" the area since they are everywhere in the surrounding blocks. As far as the academics go, the school offers an overwhelming amount of classes of many different topics and all of the classes are interesting and challenging. When it comes to sports, my school is very prideful. While we are seen as an academic school, we still very much care about sports. Husky pride is huge and in particular, the football games on Saturdays are always heavily celebrated and we are very competitive. I only have a few complaints about the school, but they are very insignificant. First of all, while the whole area around my school is very much a "college town," crime still does happen and I hate feeling unsafe if I'm walking by myself in the area. Also, the campus is quite large so sometimes you have to walk quite a ways to your next class which can be a pain. I once had classes that were 20 minutes apart from each other. With only a 10 minute break between classes, I had to cut one of my class five minutes short and arrive at the other five minutes late to try to not miss much of either class. I've solved this by trying to sign up for classes close to one another, but this isn't always possible. Besides those two small complaints, I've loved everything else about my school so far.

Overall, I like my school. At first I felt anonymous and was overwhelmed by the campus size. It took some time to get use to but now I love it. The best thing about this school is the cherry blossom in the Quad in Spring. It's beautiful. Also if the weather is nice, you can see Mount Rainier. The IMA is a great facility that students get to take advantage of and with all the renovations that are currently going on, the campus buildings will be much better. One thing that I wish I could change is the tuition increase. Only in the past few years, the tuition has increased by more than $1000 for in-state students. I can only imagine what it feels like to be out-of-state students. Tuition increase is the biggest controversy on campus at the moment. With the budget cuts from the government, the school was forced to admit more out-of-state and international students and significantly lowered the admissions rate for in-state students. Tuition increase and the budget cuts are also the most frequent student complaints. Although school announces that there is a financial problem and keeps in increasing tution rates, there are lots of renovation projects and new building constructions going on on campus that upsets and frustrates the students. To have a great college experience at UW, it is important to find a smaller community within UW to feed upon. It's hard to make connections with a classmate or professors so joining a club or finding friends in your dorm is important. People definitely react positively when I mention that I attend UW because it's probably the best school in Washington state and one of the best in the west coast. It's medical program is one of the best in the nation. I mostly spend my time at many cafes all over campus, Suzallo Library or Law Library to study. There are a lot of opportunities since Seattle is a great city. There is also a lot of school pride espcially when it comes to varsity sports. Basketball games are always fun and football could be if our team started doing better.

University of Washington is a huge school with tons of pride and countless ways to find your place. I love the Pac-12 sports and a lot of students favorite time of the year is Husky football season. The entire student body comes together and roots against the opposing team as a whole. It is a great feeling being part of such a large community that are all connected by being Huskies. Although a large school may be a deterrent for some, their are many ways to get involved that make the school seem much more intimate and smaller. These ways include IMA sports teams, clubs such as Capture the Flag, College Republicans, Dow Dawgs Finance, Badminton Club, anything...you name it. In addition to these, joining a fraternity and sorority instantly makes you connected to hundreds and in Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors cases', thousands of fellow students. For these Greek System members, the school feels like an intimate community of 500-4,000 students who you see all over campus, at parties, in classes, on the basketball court, at concerts, etc. Another amazing thing about University of Washington is the Ave, where students can find dozens of food and retail shops just blocks away from their homes. Also, on the ave and all of campus are tons of bus stops that run constantly around Seattle and downtown. The busses are free to students and are a quick and great way to get downtown to work, shop, eat or enjoy Pike's place in the sun. I love how the University of Washington feels completely separate from a city when you are walking around campus, but downtown Seattle is only 10-15 minutes away on a free bus ride.

I hate UW. It is way too big, and the professors walk around with such a sense of self-entitlement that it makes Andy Dick look humble. I was a graduate student there, and did my first 4 years at a smaller state school, where I had such a better time. Everything about UW is beaurocratic and expensive. I have come to the conclusion that it is just a large money pit. The food is extrememly overpriced everywhere, parking is appalling, and the bus system is not that great. There are numerous violent acts and theft against students on and outside of campus. We are notified through email every time this happens. UW owns multiple buildings downtown that it leases to businesses for profit, and with all the expensive items on campus, one wonders how they spend their money, because it is not on keeping students safe..or does not appear to be. For anyone who enjoys lifting weights, the UW gym is by far one of the biggest let downs of the school experience. There is one preacher curl bar, ONE, for a school of 45,000 people, and some of the weights are so old that you can't tell how much they actually weigh, nothing that some white tape and a felt pen couldn't fix though, but don't expect them to do that. In all, UW sucks, the only reason to go there is if you want to feel like you got a better education than other people (even though i dont think that's true). If you want to work in seattle, this is a good place to go because everyone in the city has gone there and are happy to offer jobs to UW students to reinforce their feelings of acedemic superiority over all schools in washington.

University of Washington is what you make of it. If your not used to big school like myself, you may want to consider going somewhere else. However if you feel like you can navigate the waters of this mammoth university your gonna have the time of your life. The possibilites are endless and the education is world class. There is no end to the list of majors and new ones are added all the time. I had a very hard time on my journey to finishing my major because UW failed to give me the structured support I was accustomed to. It's characteristically a sink or swim mentality on campus, which is great for building your confidence towards the real world life but very intimidating for a freshman coming from a graduating class of 80 people. Don't expect much guidance from your counselors after your first quarter, and expect a learning curve when using the school registration website. I'll never forget waking up at 5AM on registration day each quarter and fighting for a computer at the campus library in order to get the classes I really needed. This campus is basically a small city, so I urge you to consider joining some kind of group in order to meet people. Once your part of a campus group, it becomes apparent that our school has a ton of school pride and tradition. The entire state of washington views (besides WSU) thinks of UW as it's crowning jewel of Education, and those that graduate from this university carry the local esteem with them for life.

The University of Washington is literally a world of it's own. Centered on it's own power grid with it's own identifiable streets and unique nicknames. The UW is a large, complex community that needs to be networked. From it's individual colleges to extensive student body activities, the University of Washington is in my opinion a network of possibilities. It's ability to create an atmosphere that is large scale yet personable gives this school a unique edge. All attributes of the university are made approachable from getting involved in the school's politics to making connections between teachers and students. This school makes it easy to make connections and experience college life to it's fullest. This is done even down to the school's daily student written newspaper. For the students by the students, "The Daily" represents that idea that the UW is a world of it's own where you can take part in every aspect of what is happening in the university community. Even if that is just finding out about the latest student hangout hot sport, taking part in school rally, or discovering the newest lecturer to visit campus. The UW is a place where you can learn, grow, and connect. Be apart of something bigger than yourself but never makes you feel small.

UW totally rocks. And i'm not just saying that...since coming here i've heard so many stories from friends at other schools, and i was worried that maybe i'd made the wrong choice. But i visited several of them at their schools, and none of them could even compare to UW! Don't worry about the big size. Seriously. I have sooo many friends, and there's no way you could ever meet everyone, so you can always make more friends! Also, almost every new friend I make knows at least one or two people I know, which really makes the school seem tiny! Also, joining clubs and sports teams helps a lot. I've made a lot of friends that way! There's a lot of school pride, too. There's always a ton of people on campus wearing purple sweatshirts!! Our big rivalry with WSU is fun, because let's face it, it's nice to be in a rivalry with someone who is obviously inferior to you! :) And even though Seattle is a fairly big city, it's definitely a college town!! If you go off campus wearing a Husky sweatshirt, alumni will say hello to you or say "nice sweatshirt!". Also, thousands and thousands of people who live in Seattle come to our football games in the fall. Also, local employers love hiring UW students.

The campus is absolutely gorgeous. Some people might think that this is a superficial quality that doesn't deserve much attention, but this seems to be said mainly by people who go to schools with heinously ugly campuses (like USC, for example). Some might say that the school is too large, but I've never had a problem with class sizes or advisors being unavailable. There are so many resources at the school and there aren't really too many people helping you out to find them, but if you sit down with an advisor, you'll probably be blown away by how much you didn't know was available to you. One thing I would change is the requisites for some of the VLPA courses (specifically art and music). I used to be quite an avid drawer and am a self-taught musician, but since my major is neither Art nor Music the classes available to me are very, very limited. This is unfortunate, but I recognize that they have limited funding so they have to keep the classes open to students within those majors. Still, it's frustrating.

I love the UW because it's so big and has endless opportunities for students that I didn't even know existed until I got here. A student can literally study anything he or she wants, get involved in the community in countless ways, and find valuable support from other students and faculty with the same interests. The school is located right in the heart of Seattle and is about a five minute car ride to downtown which is great you're a city-lover. From what I've observed throughout my time here, the biggest complaint from my peers has been that the school is actually too big for them. More popular classes such as general chemistry or psychology can have hundreds of students in them where grading is curved which can make it difficult achieve higher grades. Yet every class is not like this and each person's opinion should be taken into account. I don't feel overwhelmed by the university's size at all and actually enjoy seeing thousands of people everyday.