University of Washington-Seattle Campus

« See more reviews of University of Washington-Seattle Campus

Coming from BCC, the UW feels very large and impersonal - and very urban. I miss the cozy feeling of community college, but am learning to accept and love the UW for what it has to offer -- dozens more opportunities and a very strong Japanese program. Because I don't have that much time in my schedule, I spend most of it walking between locations. When I tell people I go to the UW, people nod their head as if to say, "yep, that makes sense," in a good way. This is a good, solid school where people can get a good education, and I am a hardworking person who would fit in here. I suppose this is a 'college town' but it is so glommed on to and connected with greater Seattle the boundaries kind of blur. If I could change something, I would change all the random crime that happens in the streets around campus. I hear a lot about people getting mugged - I wish they'd catch the people who do that and make them stop.

The University of Washington-Seattle campus is very large but it is absolutely beautiful. It has an older feel to the buildings but it's worth it. It is a very well known school in Washington and I believe is considered the best one in our state. There is a lot of research that goes on at the UW and much of it is very successful. The area surrounding the UW is definitely college oriented. There are a ton of houses surrounding where students live as well as what we call the Ave, which is a long strip of stores. There is a ton of school pride, especially when competing against our rival Washington State University. There is a lot of support in WA for the huskies. It's a beautiful state with a lot to look at. Definitely worth coming here. There is also the opportunity to go to one of the off campus UW's in Bothell and Tacoma, which are much more personal with the same education.

My overall opinion of this school is that it’s a great place to get a good education and the city offers lots to do. Although Seattle is huge, UW is located inside the U District which caters toward college students. The school is large, but this allows student to get their work done and not have to be ‘babysat.’ Although it’s big, I still frequently see people I know around campus. The community feels pretty small. There is lots of school pride which is apparent at football games and throughout all the clubs and activities that go on at the school and on campus. For the past two years, I spent most of my time on campus at the HUB. This building has restaurants, a bowling alley, study areas, and more. The building has been closed this year, but is rescheduled to be opened next summer, where it will be fully renovated. There is nothing I would change about my experience at UW thus far.

I hated every minute I spent at UW, and if I could do it all over again, I certainly would not choose to attend this university again. Many of the introductory/Gen Ed classes were good. Also, when the cherry blossoms came out in the spring. Those were the best things. I would change the unfriendliness of the student body, and the way that classes seemed to decrease in quality the higher-up you went. The university was very large but that didn't matter so much to me. I spent most of my time at the By George Cafe or in my dorm. The new student union building really sucked. The Ave has a lot of tasty food choices and a movie theatre, so it serves the purpose of a college town. You can also travel to other parts of Seattle with the school bus pass. People do not care one way or another when I tell them I went to UW-Seattle.

I thought I would hate being in a large school where it would be easy to get lost in the crowd. However, I have branched out in many different ways, so that I have enough friends to make the campus seem much smaller. One thing that I don't like is that tuition keeps increasing. It is still much more expensive as an out-of-state student, but in-state students are paying increasingly more, and are finding that the university's quota of "in-staters" is shrinking. However, I am very happy with my experience here. The education you receive is fantastic. If you say you're going to UW, people acknowledge that you are going to a great school. School pride is very evident (except when the sports teams are struggling). I make it a point to attend sports events, and they are one of my biggest highlights of coming to school here.

Washington is a big public school. However, it doesn't really feel like it's such a large school, you can find a nice smaller niche here (if that's what you want), or if you want a big school atmosphere, there are definitely a wide range of activities to suit your interests. Campus is probably one of the best things about UW. It's one of the prettiest college campuses I've seen, and I've visited many many colleges around the U.S. The leaves are gorgeous red, orange, yellow and all shades in between in autumn, and in the spring our quad is gorgeous with the cherry blossoms blooming in the trees lining the pathways. There is also lots of school pride, and I think that is important because it shows that the students are excited and are proud to be a part of the UW community.

The Big Picture at Washington...don't come here unless you are ready to push yourself. You will not be coddled, and if you aren't self-motivated, you may very well end up dropping out. This is an invigorating environment if you respond well to challenge. As far as administration goes: one thing I remember very distinctly from Winter Quarter is meeting a school official and realizing that she assumed I wasn't fluent in English. This was pretty shocking, and it took me a couple of days to calm down after that epiphany: here, in a metropolitan setting (not the small suburb I grew up in), people make snap judgments and if your appearance isn't typical, you will be treated like a "minority". Despite some occasional frustrations like that, though, this is a great school.

The best thing about Washington is its size. Having that many students allows for more opportunities for students to network with each other, and find others who share their passions. Washington's faculty and administration are helpful and very professional. Something unusual about Washington is its social culture. In the dorms, few people leave their rooms, having relegated their time to room-dwelling and other antisocial behaviors. The social people are either the political far-left, who normally have bloodshot eyes whenever they're seen, or the party animals, who often have trouble standing. There isn't really much of a middle ground.

UW Seattle in the heart of Seattle U district near some great food and pizza. Has great libraries open all night during the week during the quarter. It also has a bunch of special interest groups. you'll find one you like. Food on campus is good but a bit expensive like everywhere else. You can take classes from any department you want if you qualify. The people are friendly too. These people like to express thier opinions and demonstrate on the issues they think are important. I go to UW, Bothell my home school it is much more quiet and serious, never a demonstration. People there are really nice.

The University of Washington has amazing opportunities to take advantage of. Although many will say that's its too big or in the middle of a rainy city, the campus environment has everything to suit your needs; whatever they may be. Diversity is number one at UW and there are multiple facets available for students. Student groups are also very prominent. With over 500 different registered groups, it becomes more of a challenge deciding which ones to join, not if to join at all. Smack dab in the middle of Seattle, it provides an excellent social climate for students to visit the city.