Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

As I get older some of the teachers now know my name because the classes get smaller. My favorite class is Women's Studies, Leadership, or my Broadcast Writing class, which pertained to my major. I don't spend that much time with my professors outside of class but my BW teacher helped get me an internship at his news station in Roanoke. Academics are important but it's also not uncommon to cram for a test and do homework last minute. College life at VT is more about socializing than academics although it is a very strong academic atmosphere and will prepare me well. Class participation is common but not uncommon for everyone to skip a class at least once a week.

With the larger classes (500+), it is hard for the professor to know everyone's name. THe best way to ensure that is to meet with the professor outside of class and establish a relationship more than just attending class. Professors are very flexible and will answer any question a student may have. They enjoy working with students and want to see everyone excel. Marketing is a challenging, rewarding, and interesting major. It intrigues and challenges me at the same time. I love the Business school and I know I've found my home among the colleges at Tech.

Strong academics and I strong career services department. I got a job with one of the top 10 companies in the world through Virginia Tech's career services. They tell you what you should be doing on a yearly basis to guarantee a job when you graduate. I received a dual degree in business marketing and management because my adviser was terrific and told me how to do it in 4 years without taking more than a normal course load each semester. You will make a huge mistake if you do not attend Virginia Tech.

some of my professors know my name favorite classs= engineering lecture (really interesting) ...most of the time but the test are super hard ! ... challenge is good though least favorite= Calculus ... i hate that it's on the computer unique= history of the modern world, so interesting and relevant Students= COMPETITIVE!!! especially in engineering i go to office hours a lot... Academic requirements are perfect. Learning to better serve the world around me... Ut Prosim... its perfect

I am a Communication major here at Virginia Tech, and although the school is not known for my major, we have a really great program. The teachers definitely know your name if you take the initiative. Just like anything in life, if you don't go for it, how are you supposed to get it. As I get older, my classes get smaller and smaller but if you are in a lecture class, there's no reason for you not to introduce yourself and let the teachers get to know you.

Yes professors know my name. Favorite is nations and nationalities ane least favorite is floral design. Students study more than average. Class participatin is very common. At time there are intelectual conversations, students are somewhat competitive. Unique class is arabic. My major is Internatinal studies but it is still a very small department. I do not spend time with professors. Academic requirments are great. No comment on last question

Virginia Tech's School of Architecture's undergrad program was ranked #1 in the United States this year! Class size depends on major and class level. In the architecture department, students have close relationships with professors. Professors are friendly and would like to have intellectual conversations with students however in the larger lecture classes the student must take the intiative to make that contact.

First year classes can be large and impersonal. But once you get farther into your career here, classes become more intimate and teachers will know your name. Even in a large class, if a teacher doesn't know your name and you want them to. Office hours. If you take initiative here, teachers will appreciate it. You can basically be as involved or uninvolved as you like.

I only have one very large class here at Tech. All of my other classes usually range from 30-40 students. Students for the most part feel comfortable and confident in their academic environment, which I have come to find is an easy place where I can learn to become a more successful student.

I am a biology major at tech and the course load is pretty rough for me. There is a lot of home work but you really learn a lot here. There are a lot of opportunities for research and the professors are really knowledgeable in their fields of study.