Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Tyler

Virginia Tech gives its students various opportunities, both in education and extracurricular activities. Virginia Tech has a great sports community, allowing the students to show their school spirit and support their fellow students. This school is a great place to attend to discover yourself and what you want to do after college. It's also a great place to attend when genuinely wanting to be ready for the work world.

Virginia Tech is full of school spirit and has a lot of really great people attending it. The campus is pretty and the food is amazing, but if you're looking for a school that priorities academics, this might not be the one for you. There is a big social aspect to Virginia Tech and I think it does a balance of classes and fun really well, but academically speaking you get what you put into it.

Very tough and competitive school, but at the same time there are many resources for student academic success. Social atmosphere is very rich and lively. Many activities to do and get involved with. Students will leave this school as more well rounded individuals.

Moses

good technical school

Shagun

I fell in love with the school as soon as I set foot on campus. The people there are so nice and very informative and I found some people I could potentially be friends with when I attend Virginia Tech. It has the major that I want and it's a major that not a lot of schools have, so another reason why I love it. Overall, Virginia Tech is my dream school and I cannot wait to attend this fall.

Gracie

I love this school. I grew up as a University of Tennessee fan, so I never was a fan of VT until I became a student. I love the atmosphere, the opportunities, the location, and nearly everything about this place. I could not imagine being anywhere else.

Shelby

The student life and culture at Tech is pretty great. You can easily find a group of people who have the same interests as you, and most people are rather approachable. Hokies always help hokies, so it's quite standard for a bystander to help you out or for you to make a friend with ease. The policy that University staff pushes out isn't always the best though, and they typically don't accept student feedback. Campus is beautiful and classes are hard are crap, but it's college so it'd to be expected. Good luck trying to reach STEM professors though.

I absolutely love this school. Everything from the people to the campus itself is great. This is by far one of if not the best campuses in terms of beauty. It is a little large but that never affected me. The food here is great, everyone is pretty friendly, and all around just a fun spot to be in. The tuition is a little on the high side but I suppose that's just the way things are. Besides that I would easily recommend anyone to enroll here.

Ryan

I think that it is a great, inclusive school. There are so many things to do and see. The campus is beautiful. There is something for everyone. Getting off campus is accessible. Sports are a huge part of the school. Everyone is super friendly from the students to the staff.

Emili

I was between Virginia Tech and UMass when I was debating on where to go due to the money. UMass had given me more money to attend, but something was telling me that I would have a much better time at Virginia Tech than UMass. I went with my gut and I have never regretted my decision since attending. There is absolutely nothing I do not like about this amazing school.

Grace

Virginia Tech was an incredible opportunity that I had the pleasure of accepting attendance to for an undergraduate degree. At this university I was exposed to academic rigor, lifelong lessons, and our infamous Hokie Nation spirit. I appreciate the pride we have in our university, our diverse demographics and the time taken to create successful student-community engagement events such the annual "Big Event", and "Relay for Life".

Garrett

Blacksburg is a great college town. It's in the New River Valley, so beautiful mountains surround campus. It's one of the only campuses of a large school that I toured that has everything walking distance on campus: dorms, academic buildings, gyms, athletic fields, and stadium. Academics are top notch with accessible professors. But the food...absolutely the best!

Jenny

Virginia Tech is a very unique school that provides lots of opportunities. The atmosphere at Virginia Tech reminds me of a home away from home. It is very diverse and everyone is very welcoming. Students are very focused on school but always find a balance between academics and social life.

Shahmir

Virginia Tech is an awesome college and is surrounded by such a great town that cares about the students. Everyone is extremely friendly. The food is great, classes are awesome, and there is so much to be a part of. I'd say it's one of the best colleges in the country.

Rafael

It is a great school enjoyed my four years there. Met some great students and made some great friends as well.

Julie

I love Virginia Tech and I am proud to be part of the Hokie Nation. This school was not my first choice but there is nothing I would do to change where I am now. The campus is great, the food is amazing, athletics are huge, and the environment is amazing. I fell head over heels for Tech and just keep falling over and over again.

Christina

There is no place I'd rather be than Virginia Tech. It is a phenomenal school with innumerable academic and social opportunities. Not only am I receiving an outstanding education, but I also feel as though I am part of a greater whole. The sense of community at Virginia Tech and the pride students feel for the school creates an atmosphere of acceptance and enthusiasm. I have met so many fantastic people, people who I am glad to call mentors, peers, and friends. I have forged numerous friendships with people from all over the country and around the world. Despite coming from drastically different upbringings, here we all share a common ground. Here we are family, a part of the Hokie Nation. Even after graduation, the intense sense of school spirit does not fade. There have been countless occasions where I have met a Virginia Tech alumni by chance and we shared a moment of excitement, as though we were old friends reuniting. For me and many others, Virginia Tech is my home away from home.

Juliettte

Absolutely love it. After everything the school has been through, it's security is super heightened. I feel extremely safe and there is always something to do. Never a dull moment! Everyone is also extremely nice and welcoming. I never feel left out, especially on game days. That's when we all truly get together!

I love it. It has a great community and makes you feel extremely comfortable.

Kimberly

The campus in all inclusive, there is something for everyone. There are many things to get involved with whether its clubs, sororities, band, sports, academics or just friend groups. Virginia Tech practices Ut Prosim which is referring to community, community is big at Virginia Tech whether its for football games or charity or community support like relay for life for example most hokies practice community and civility throughout their college experience.

Collin

It's a great University. I've enjoyed my classes to date as well as living on campus (food is incredible) and off campus (food is still incredible). I've made many new friends and have tried new things. There are all kinds of sports to participate in and events to go to.

Vernon

As a senior, I have only been in 1 class with less than 100 people throughout my time at Virginia tech, and it wasn't even in my major. Biology professors could not care less about their students. Every advisor I have had has told me incorrect information and messed up my class planning for graduation. Campus housing is terrible. Nearly every available dime goes to the football program leaving the bare minimum for the students and academics.

I love the large school-small feel vibe that Virginia Tech has. It is a large university with small schools within it. I will graduate in a class with less than 2,000 others. The campus is absolutely stunning and food is rated #1 in the country. I couldn't be more please with where I chose to go to college!

Cameron

Virginia Tech is a welcoming and safe place that I am extremely happy to call home. The people here in Blacksburg are very friendly and go out of their way to help others in need. We are a tight knit community that also likes to give back to the area around the campus instead of just focusing on ourselves. In the classroom, students are always engaged in learning new material. They are focused on what the professors have to say and are eager to better themselves. The professors always have plenty of office hours where students can come in and get help with their work. If there are any concerns about the classes, the professors will get back to you in a timely manor so the issue can be resolved. Besides the community and academics, the food on and off campus is delicious and if you're not careful with your money, you will find yourself running out of dining dollars quickly. Athletics at Virginia Tech is a big part of the community. People come from all around the country just to check out a football or basketball game. When Enter Sandman comes on in Lane stadium or Cassell Coliseum, everyone gets on their feet to get the games started. Overall, Virginia Tech is an amazing place that I would recommend anyone looking to further their education to come and join the Hokie Nation!

David

I can describe Virginia Tech in one word. Amazing!!!! From the beautiful building structures to the amazing food. Virginia tech is the place to be. There is always a lot to do and you'll never be idle. At Virginia Tech you will always feel among.

Tiffany

Great university with many activities to offer. Many shops and bars are located in downtown Blacksburg. The mountains are always beautiful and hiking is popular. McComas gym has a lot of machines and equipment making it easy to live a healthy lifestyle while attending classes.

Dominik

I have a very favorable opinion of Virginia Tech because of its wide variety of services, friendly and welcoming environment, and excellent academics. At Virginia Tech, there are numerous study spots that are perfect for completing any assignment, or studying for the upcoming exam. The professors are always willing to help and have frequent office hours where they are willing to talk about anything. Another very positive factor is that there are always activities and events happening around campus. Social organizations frequently have social events right outside the dorms and are welcoming to all students who wish to have fun, play games, meet new people and eat free food! Clubs also set up on the drillfield to promote their causes and service to others, the important motto of the school. There are always opportunities to participate in intramural sports, where you can compete against almost anyone on campus! Most importantly, the quality of education is very high, and professors are always there to help and make sure you succeed. Virginia Tech is well-rounded because of its focus on enhancing various aspects of life, which makes it an exciting place to attend school.

Virginia tech is a wonderful University. I'm currently in my third year at VT and it has been an amazing experience. I fell in love with the University three years ago when I visited during their campus wide service project "The Big Event" and saw students and faculty living out the school motto "That I May Serve". I have participated in this tradition through local community work and on an international clean water mission trip to Honduras where I was proud to represent my school. Virginia Tech is rich in history and tradition but so many innovative projects and ideas come from the University. It truly feels like home here and I often meet other Hokies across the U.S and the world. It is a wonderful community dedicated to building each other up and striving for greatness in the future. Go Hokies!

Gabrielle

I adore Virginia Tech! I love the castle-like buildings that make me constantly feel as if I'm attending Hogwarts. The drill field is gorgeous, especially when it snows, and then it looks like a winter wonderland! The people are extraordinarily nice, willing to help with any task and overwhelmingly filled with the Hokie spirit 24/7. Everywhere you look there are the colors maroon and orange and I absolutely have no complaints (considering I bleed the them). The food is spectacular, the teachers are considerate and Blacksburg oozes charm. I wouldn't want to attend any other school. I am a Hokie and I am proud to call Virginia Tech my home.

Aisha

SWEET! I went to visit the campus when my brother was touring colleges in 2013 and at that time, I said to my family "I want to come here". In 2015, when time came for choosing a college, my first choice was still VT and I applied for early decision. Unfortunately, I did not get selected and I cried for days . I was eventually admitted during regular selection process. I love the campus, teachers, fraternities, our football team, and food is awesome. Thank you VT for not disappointing me!

Jasmine

Virginia Tech is a great school academically. It's one of the best universities in Virginia. It's a HUGE school, and that makes it seem a little lonely. I find it to be a bit difficult to make friends. Also, Blacksburg is very empty. There isn't much to do around here, hence the amount of house parties. Greek life is pretty prevalent, nothing obnoxious though. The classes are great, at times difficult though. There's a mix between small and large classes. For on campus housing, I suggest staying in a suite style dorm. Traditional styles rooms are really small. The food is wonderful! 10/10! One thing about Tech, there isn't much diversity. Although most colleges don't have much, Tech may be less than average. Overall, it's a good school, but living in Blacksburg is a bit depressing at times and the social life here isn't the best.

Meredith

When I first started, I still did not feel a deep connection to Virginia Tech. However, one morning I was walking across the drill field to my 8 am chemistry lab and realized how much I love my school. The people are great and friendly, the good is tasty, and the classes are interesting but challenging. I would highly recommend Virginia Tech to anyone I know.

Aditi

Virginia Tech is known for their motto "Ut Prosim" meaning That I May Serve. I have been at Virginia Tech for only a year but I have seen the University as a whole embrace that motto and use it in everything they do, including serving the Hokie and Blacksburg community and communities all over the world . When I first was applying to Virginia Tech, I was unsure whether I would fit in. I did not understand what a "Hokie " was. However, when I first stepped foot on the campus, I realized being a Hokie was not just a term that applied to students attending Virginia Tech. I noticed that being a Hokie was to embrace Ut Prosim and use that motto to drive everything you do for a greater purpose. Not only is the culture unique, the resources the university provides have proven to be incredibly resourceful. Virginia Tech has several programs that ensure the success of every single student. They have resources such as free tutoring services, Services for Students with Disabilities Department (SSD), substance abuse care programs, Cook Counseling Center, etc. I am a student who has a learning disability and the SSD department was a great help for getting me the help I needed to ensure I was able to have the same opportunities as the other students. Virginia Tech has become my second home and I truly believe it is an extraordinary university. GO HOKIES!!!

Jiayu

I love this school so much! Definitely made the best choice by coming to this school!

Meghan

I love Virginia Tech, I can't imagine not being a part of this school. The campus is nestled between two mountains and it is beautiful. There is always something to do around campus regardless of your interests. The Greek life is huge, but not a must to have an enjoyable college experience. If you love football then Virginia Tech is for you. Attending a game at Lane Stadium is an experience you will never forget. The school spirit is unbelievable and when the band plays "Enter Sandman" the entire stadium shakes from the students jumping. My classes have been challanging but great. You can tell the professors are passionate about what they teach and care about student success. Virginia Tech "is home" and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Alexis

Virginia Tech is a unique, excellent campus. Hokie Stone covers our buildings and it's something we're proud of. The Hokie is our unique mascot that we are proud to wear and love to see around. You'll often see the Hokie bird at events or even at the library to cheer studying students up. The academic buildings are up to date for the most part and the professors are all available to help whenever, for the most part. The dorms are nice, I got one of the nicer dorms on campus so I'm lucky. The food on campus is ranked number one nationally and consistently. GO HOKIES!

Courtney

Virginia Tech is a place where students can thrive and find who they are. The diverse environment allows students to challenge their thoughts and grow into better people before they leave for the real world. Virginia Tech encourages everyone to get involved and help others both in the local area and on a broader scale. The academics are impressive, but it does not sacrifice a student's mental health. There is a reason Virginia Tech was voted to have some of the happiest students.

Valerie

Overall, I am proud to say that I attend a university where its motto, Ut Protism, meaning "that I may serve", is held highly and carried out by students and faculty alike. Following this motto, the members of the university form a community, in which everyone encourages and supports one another, while also taking the time to help those in need in any way that they can. Because this motto is upheld with high regard, students are able to receive the best education from professors, form strong friendships among fellow students, and receive excellent services around campus. Because of this motto, it makes me want to be more involved with my community and finding more ways how I can help those in need, and see what I can do to assist them. Because of this motto, I am proud to say that I attend Virginia Tech, and I am proud to call myself a Hokie.

morgan

Good school, great food, good professors. But it is big so it can feel a bit overwhelming or lonely at times. Traffic is also crazy when students are in town, on that note so is every dining hall all the time so never expect any food in turner without waiting for at least 1/2 hour. The rent is pretty expensive for off-campus students. But there definitely is something for everybody here.

Jared

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University is the model of what colleges should strive for. There is no area in which the college lacks or falls short. The students are immersed in a community created by the students, faculty, and town of Blacksburg. The quality of life is like no other as students find themselves surrounded by excellent housing options and outstanding dining locations. As a student at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, I feel that the college goes above and beyond to make my time spent there to be as opportunistic and incredible as it can be. Those who have served and continue to serve at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University have discovered the best methods of developing both a tremendous academic experience and thriving student atmosphere. By having the student in mind when developing forward through greater collegiate programs and exciting opportunities for student living, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University continues to become an awe-inspiring college as students are generously provided with astounding opportunities in both areas of educational culture and lifestyle.

Victoria

Overall the school is a wonderful learning environment. I am always discovering new things and I find myself constantly asking questions. However, I have had more than a few professors who were not the best at teaching a class. They are certainly knowledgeable about the subject, but their methods seem unruly and haphazard. However, I can always find someone to talk to about these issues and they are almost always resolved.

Maukthika

Overall, Virginia Tech is a great school with plenty of opportunities for students in almost any discipline. Professors are always available and willing to help, students are friendly and welcoming, and overall there is a strong sense of community and acceptance. The school could use more artistic/musically focused clubs and groups

Fofi

Virginia Tech as a whole is a pretty amazing college. There are tons of great people, many classes to choose from, and the food is outstanding. However there are a few things that are not so great. 1. On campus housing is nearly impossible after freshman year. 2. It can be very difficult to get in classes that you need because of limited times and spaces available. 3. Tech is very stingy with handing out scholarships.

Jarod

I love Virginia Tech. It is a beautiful campus set in the mountains. The classes are rigorous but interesting. The food is great. My roommates are cool. I am so honored to be a part of the engineering college. Getting around the campus is pretty easy if you download the map.

Samuel

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) is home to me. From the campus layout to my fellow students, every aspect makes this university the ideal environment to learn and thrive. I wake each morning at Virginia Tech excited to discover what challenges and adventures will meet me in the day. In the challenging job market of today, I am extremely confident that my time at Virginia Tech will prepare me for any opportunity.

Alexandra

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University or as we call it Virginia Tech, is a great school to be your guide to your future. It has everything you want to get involve with, academics or clubs. One of the best dinning services on campus making students actually want to eat there, school spirit, a great student body as well as professors and excellent facilities. We call it Home because it actually becomes your home, the people around you are friends you are going to have forever, the classes you take are gonna push you further and there is nothing like the changing of seasons and the view of the blue ridge mountains. Virginia Tech is Home and I'm so glad I don't study anywhere else.

Shelby

Sal

It is a wonderful school with a great program that actively works to improve the wellness of its students. The culture here is one of support and unity and I love the community. My professors always make and effort to help and are very prompt with communications.

Susanna

My school is more than a resume enhancer. My school is more than a networking system. My school is more than a street for greek life parties. My school is more than five story libraries, first class dining halls, early morning cadet drills, and late night football games. At Virginia Tech, I bought my first fish with my freshman roommate. At Virginia Tech, I spent my first night working on a future-deciding portfolio. At Virginia Tech, I made my first late night dining hall run, ran my first 5k, survived my first college exams, and have kept my first college friends for years. Virginia Tech is where I've learned to live fully by myself and live fully for others. Virginia Tech is where the motto "This is Home" becomes a lifestyle, not just an objective.

Cordell

Virginia Tech is an innovative, intelligent, and fun university that prides it self on excellence. The food is great, infact the best! the students are all there for each other, the community and culture of Virginia Tech is amazing, Academics are world class, and the love and pride for sports is grand.