Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Prospective students and their families should look at all aspects of a college. First, it is important that something about the school matches with the student's interests, whether it is sports, research, nature, etc. Next, a student should get insight about the type of classes and professors that are available at the college because some students prefer large lectures whereas others prefer a small class that allows more interaction between the teacher and the student. He/she should make sure that the students, faculty, and community members at the college are friendly, supportive, and caring. There should be activities at the college that the student is more than willing to participate in such as clubs, organizations, sororities/fraternities, volunteer opportunities, internships, and more. It is also important to look at the costs of tuition, fees, and living expenses to make sure it is affordable on the family's budget, and some schools offer more financial aid and assistance than others which may be helpful. The student and his/her parents should most definitely visit the college to get a feel for the school and it's community, in addition to conducting research on what the school has to offer.

Make friends with your guidance counselor by finding time to set up appointments throughout the year to catch up, and share your dreams, passions, and hopeful plans for the future. No one can help you more during the overwhelming application process to college, than a friendly advisor who wants more than anything to see you succeed! Don’t be intimidated by the “popular” girls with boyfriends and all their high-end clothing and birthday gift cars. One day after years of higher education, you will be able to afford nice things as well, and you will have found your partner along the way. Hormonally induced jealousy or self-destructive criticism won’t help you attain your collegiate and career goals! On that note, forgive that boy who hurt you, and move ahead! Moping around wondering why he left you at prom for that girl in the skimpy dress will only foster negative self-worth and anxiety. Turn the pain into energy to stoke that inner fire; use this as fuel for dedicated determination! Know that your plans may change once you settle into college. Stoic rigidity may hold you back from success in another realm. Passion. Follow it to success!

I've discovered that networking is one of, if not the most, important aspect at Virginia Tech. The networking I do now will help me greatly in the future in areas like job hunting. It's a known fact that "Hokies hire Hokies." Meet as many people as possible when you first get to college - these people could open so many doors for you. Getting involved is another huge aspect at Virginia Tech. The more involved you are, the more you learn about the school, other people and yourself. Virginia Tech is all about "Discovery", (just watch our commercial). We're always researching and looking for new ideas. Tech isn't only about discovering new ideas and technologies but it's about discovering oneself. At Virginia Tech there are more groups and ways to get involved than anyone could imagine. There's something here for everyone which allows each person here to find what it is they're passionate about so that they can pursue it. Virginia Tech is also a very tight-knit community so everyone in Blacksburg is passionate about this university and passionate about seeing its students succeed. This makes for an excellent learning and growing environment.

College has presented me with valuable tools and opportunities in furthering my personal and academic pursuits; it has also been an instrumental part of my growth as an individual. My first semester was difficult as I tried adjusting to a new environment. I noticed my grades began to suffer and I became increasingly discontent. For a while, I explored different options and eventually, with the help and support of my teachers and counselors, I found my niche-which was of utmost importance. Having developed an interest in writing, I decided to pursue English as a career. College allowed me to excel in all areas, academic and otherwise; it opened my eyes to a world of possibilities. So far, I’ve had a very positive college experience which is why I’ve decided to transfer to UC Berkeley and continue with the progress I’ve made. Before college, I was lost, confused, and unsure of myself. But now, I’m immensely ambitious, self-aware, and driven and I place education as my top priority. I’m glad I challenged myself academically and engaged in on-campus activities (tutoring, scholars program, Armenian club) for I’m now exceedingly well-rounded.

The hardest part of the application process is choosing the institutions to which you want to apply. Selecting a safety school is always a good idea, but applying to a dream school might be an even better one. Parents, encourage your child to apply to schools where he could actually see himself attending, even if his acceptance is uncertain. Students, do not be discouraged by long applications or by low admittance percentages ? you never know exactly what each school is looking for in a potential student.After applying visiting each school is vital to get a feel for the campus and the student body. I waited until after I had been accepted to a school before I visited to save time and money, which might still be a good strategy considering our current economy. When visiting, touring your intended major?s department can be very helpful in discerning whether the specific program would work for you since every institution operates differently. Overall, keeping an open-minded attitude is the easiest way to find a school and to be successful in it. Be ready for change, but know that everyone else your age is at this same crossroads in life.

What an opportunity it would be to go back in time to myself as an eighteen-year-old high school senior to give myself advice and possibly start all over again. If I ever had such a blessing, there would be plenty of advice I would offer myself. First off, I would recommend trying to join another club or organization besides band. It's understandable that valuable social experiences and leadership skills can be gained through band and music activities, but branching outside of that social circle would greatly be beneficial. Because many of the problems primarily stemmed from social insecurities and/or anxieties and meeting new people could remedy that to some degree. Academically speaking, math is most certainly the strongest challenge. Find someone, whether it be a teacher or fellow classmate, that could help explain things better so better grades could be achieved. I would also recommend taking an SAT Prep Class to help prepare for the SAT test so that a better score could be attained. Establishing a better relationship with the guidance couselor because they are such valuable assets to a student, especially during senior year.

Keep your mind open to the possibilities of change. Leaving your old familiar world may be difficult, but with enough time and effort, friends and new experiences will present themselves. Although you may have a plan for your future, never shut out the idea of change. As you grow and mature through college, so will your interests. Explore your options, join new clubs, and take classes outside your usual focus. Talk to your professors; aside from getting help in your classes, you will gain important references through networking, learn about internship and research opportunities, and even create lifelong friendships. Take advantage of the resources and possibilities open to you on campus, including clubs, career centers, intramural sports, student centers, and university provided tutors. College will be hard and overwhelming at times, but take the trials in stride, use your best judgment in all situations, and never forget to take care of yourself. Classes, grades and friends are important, but never sacrifice your health or reputation, because they will be with you forever. Above all - eat well, exercise, and enjoy life.

You've heard that it doesn't matter where you go to school; you can just make it work. You've heard that you should only go to a school with a well-recognized name. You've also heard the college experience is kind of irrelevant; the only thing that matters is that you come out with a degree. Oh, so wrong. First of all, narrow down your colleges by three things: location, population, and academics. Don't go to a small, country school if you love the city! Once you've narrowed it down, start looking at those colleges' websites to search for various clubs, organizations and other opportunities that might interest you. Those "other opportunities" will reshape you (in a good way) as a person. It is the experiences, hardships you endure and relationships you develop outside the classroom, that teach you how to cooperate with others and the world around you. College life encourages personal growth and cultivation into a well-rounded adult. Your grades are VERY important, but so is your outside life. Supplement good grades with your interests and college will equip you with tools that last a lifetime. Your only option is to succeed!

College takes a lot more work and dedication than high school. It is important to learn what methods of studying work, whether it be writing notes, reading outloud, or any other method imagined. Books need to be read, and studying has to be consistent. Cramming and all-nighters just will not work. Parents are not going to be there to make sure homework or studying gets done. The responsibility is placed completely on the student. But college is not all about work. Getting involved and having fun are necessary parts of the college experience as well. There are tons of clubs to join and more than enough new people to meet. The friends from high school that were going to be there forever suddenly start to grow apart, and college friends quickly take their places. Honestly, with the right time management, everything a student wants to do can be done, including school work. It may be hard to adjust at first, being away from family and friends, but remember that everyone else is experiencing the same feelings the first few months, just trying to find his or her niche and make it through all those first semester classes unscathed.

The best way to find the right college is to visit! After touring quite a few college campuses I was able to figure out what sort of characteristics I wanted my school to have; lots of school pride and spirit, a football team, friendly students, involved professors, etc. Talking to students at each school, eating meals on campus, sitting in on classes, and staying on campus overnight provided a different and more realistic feel of what school would be like if one went there and it definitely helped in my final decision. Becoming involved in clubs, sports, and activities is the best way to make the most of the college experience. The best part about being involved in school activities is meeting so many different people. People with different and similar interests come together and it creates many opportunities for new friends. Not only are new friends made but also chances for study groups, sports teams, and volunteer groups are made. Taking advantage of academic help such as review sessions and office hours will help the college experience from the academic standpoint. After all that's the reason for going to college!