Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

I wish I would have known how to manage my time better while participating in wrestling. I did not know how much time the sport itself took up. It is alot different than other D-I sports on campus, considering we often put in multiple workouts a day. There is no comparison to it either, considering you have to mentally prepare yourself for an actual battle every day in the practice room. Sleep, nutrition, and time management are the keys to success when participating in college sports. I know this now, I wish I had implemented it sooner.

Know yourself and your limits. Going into college, I really didn't know who I was. I considered myself to be strong, independent, intelligent, and a great person in general. What I actually am is ignorant, arrogant, proud, dependent, and emotional. These may come off as quite negative, but college taught me to explore who I am. I thought I was capable of taking multiple difficult classes at the same time, but I didn't know my limits. Through finding my limits, I now know more about myself and what kind of a job I'm more suited for!

Before I arrived at Virginia Tech, I wish I would have known the ways in which college professors are different than high school teachers, especially when it comes to grading assignments and outlining a class syllabus. It was difficult to realize that professors won't be running after you to turn in homework, so you have to keep your priorities very organized. I also wish I had known that there were so many responsibilities, such as creating my own schedule and keeping track of my graduation requirements throughout the year.

Being able to budget my time between playing Division 1 soccer and the rigors of academic life, I wish I would have been able to schedule my courses differently to take advantage of free time that I had and time when we were traveling or playing games. I aslo wish I could have chosen my dorm situation differently and was able to arrange who I was rooming with to again help with my scheduling and studies. I underestimated the difficulty my course load was and wish I could have adjusted my fall semester better.

Prior to attending college I wish I had know a little more about the various clubs and activities that Virginia Tech has to offer. The first couple of weeks were very stressful and between juggling classes and meeting new people it was hard to also find clubs to get involved in. Since adjusting to college life I have learned about many clubs that I would have liked to join and will hopefully join next year, it would however have been helpful to have this information before hand so I could get involved sooner.

To be honest, I was slightly scared to go to college because I was not sure how well I would be able to interact and socialize with the others around me. The truth is, Virginia Tech is a great place to be and I have more friends than I had ever imagined. We form study groups on the week nights to study and work on upcoming classes, but we also have plenty of time to do all of the other activities on campus. I play soccer there and I still find time to do everything else. You really should go!

I wish I had know before coming to college, that studying for test and exams in college is a lot different that studying for exams in high school. Back in high school, I could study the night before or maybe two nights before the test and I would recieve a good grade. In college, I tried doing the same style of studying and I did not have the same success. I realized that I needed to study several days before the exam and it is better to study in groups of people, rather than by yourself.

I wish I had learned how to ask for help. This may seem rudimentary, but I have found that there have been many circumstance where the knowledge and experience on the proper way to ask for assistance would be crucial. It was dificult for me at the beginning of college to swallow my pride and seek further teaching. Once I learned mastered the skill of asking, my coursework became drastically easier. I wish I had more experience and knowledge on how to ask for help.

To be honest, I wish I had known what it was really like to live on your own in such a huge community. Virginia Tech is a great school, but if you are the type to enjoy a closer knit group of friends, VT may seem too huge for your liking. Also, I am at a cross roads as I want to be a nurse now and VT doesn't offer nursing as a major. Make sure you have researched your major before choosing a school or you will have to trasnfer, which is a hassle.

How to be more outgoing. I came into school thinking everyone would just be social and come up and talk to me, and some did, but not as many as I expected. I was afraid of just going up to random people and talking, but after a few months I learned that they don't mind at all and most people are always open to new friends and will talk back. So I wish I had known that being outgoing and talking to random people was not a bad thing at all.