Virginia State University

« See more reviews of Virginia State University

For parents, it is so very important to encourage your child to make the best decision for THEM in this matter. Let them know that they have your full support and that you have faith that they will choose the college or university that is best for their future. Students, start early! Trust me, the earlier the better. Some schools will accept students early, which allows you to get prepared for the transition. Think it through! Think about majors, the employment rate for those majors and whether they are in demand! Think about the cost of the university because although you may receive aid during your first year, in some cases you may end up paying some of the cost during sophomore, junior, or senior years. Arrange a visit! And not just any visit! Talk to people who attend the school, live in the area, professors and other people who dont get paid to tell you good things about the school. By doing this you will get a thorough understanding of exactly what the school has to offer. And finally, engage! Get involved in social and academic activities that will help you get the most out of your college experience.

College is a life changing experience, so a student has to choose the right school. Many factors go into college, like cost of attendance, academic competitiveness, location, student body and alumni achievement. Another factor is the ability of the school to be a community environment. A student should get along with his or her classmates and feel welcomed because these are the people they will be spending the next four years with. They should also be satisfied with instructors. It feels nice to walk into a classroom knowing the professor has you as a top priority. If a student already has a school in mind, they should visit the institution, examine the site and become familiar with the students and faculty. And the student must listen to advice given from their parents; the school chosen may decide the rest of someone?s life as far as potential goes, it is important to have outside opinions. Lastly, to make the most of a college experience the student must engage in campus activities, join organizations, and make friends, there is nothing worse than being an isolated hermit trapped in a dorm room all day.

Instead of worrying about trying to make unstable relationships work, you should take the time to think of what you really want in your long term future. Think of what you can see yourself doing as a career, then make note of that as you go to your school counselor for advice. Also, take advantage of the school field trips to prospective colleges and research on any colleges that interest you. Go online and see what other students think of the universities you're interested in, check out reviews about them. After you've done this, contact advisors at universities you want to know more about and seek help about how to go about getting into their schools. Make sure you do this earlier in the school year, rather than procrastinating. If you can work temporarily or get an internship, try that out to save money towards college. Realize that college is different from high school in the sense that you'll need to be an active participant in your education, so don't plan on relying on professors to remind you about doing your tasks. Lastly, don't overwork yourself and give yourself room for a social life.

When you are a senior in high school and its getting close to decision time, students and parents should take proper precautions and should be sure that this school is right for them. A college tour would be highly suggested because you dont want to attend a college primarly based on there popularity and or academic successes. You need to be sure that the school is right for u because this will be home away from home for the next 4+ years. Talking to alumni is also a good idea because all schools try come off as being the best choice, but someone who has actually expirenced the college life at this particular facility will deffinately be able to honestly respond to all the questions you need answered. Making the most out of the college expierence is also very important. We all know that you go to school to further your education, Yet it is also an opportunity for growth. These next four years charish every moment because this part of your life only comes around once. Open up, meet new people, get out of your normal routine and enjoy this opportuinty before you. God Bless and Good Luck!

I would tell myself to get a journal and write down all of my goals, long and short term, and ways to achieve them. In that journal would also be a list of priorities, and would encourage myself to look at them often. I would tell myself that its not going to be easy, but to consider those that worked hard for me to be able to take advantage of educational opportunity today. I would remind myself that the world is full of people that eat, dress, think, pray, act, and look different than myself and to appreciate our differences. I would encourage myself to take adavantage of my on-campus resources, those that are academic and otherwise, because my tuition has been pre-paid whether I use them or not. I would remind myself that my word and reputation are two of the most important things. Being a man of my word and displaying professionalism is mediocre. I would remind myself that everytime I go somewhere, that I need to leave a mark, perhaps by autographing my work with excellence. Lastly, I would tell myself to treat everyone with even more respect than I would expect.

Throughout my personal college experience, I have been able to gain life time friends, vital learning experiences, and most importantly, an education. Education equips us with the essential learning abilities that we need to succeed in life, and college is the building blocks of this education; college provides us with the necessary tools to obtain this higher education. Being able to get my AA degree this spring has opened so many doors for me. I can now go on and further my education with my bachelor’s degree and eventually a medical degree so I can fulfill my dream of becoming a doctor. This is what college has done for me; it has given me knowledge and this knowledge translates into power. I now have the power to succeed in life. Two years ago, I enrolled in the most important self improvement program and my life has been made all the better because of it. However, my journey is not over yet, I still plan to continue this life journey to learn and educate myself. After all, education is not just about what is in the textbooks, education is about learning life lessons!

My college experience has made me grow in different areas such as in knowledge, creativity and personal character. I have spent over eight years trying to achieve my degree and this too has taught me to have persistance and fight for my future and for what I love. Even though it has been hard due to different obstacles, I have learned that my passion for Architecture is far greater than all the dissapointements throughout this journey. College has been extremely valuable because it has been giving me the skills and tools to be a professional. For example I believe that due to my background on European and Latin American architecture in addition to the American architecture will expand the possibilities to create new structures that will defy the standard on architecture. My main goal is to give back to society in ways that it can enhance the quality of daily living and promote structures that will renew the face of different environments. The ability to see beyond what I already know is the foundation that my education through College is giving me on a day to day basis.

During My 3 and 1/2 years at Virginia State University, I have grown as a man spiritually, academically and physically. I have learned how to grow up and mature at a very quick rate. My professors have demanded that I meet the standards of a working professional while inside the classroom, and with their help I have put myself in a better position once I graduate. I have learned valuable time management skills while playing a varsity sport and it has made me more accountable for my work inside and outside the classroom. I have gotten excellent networking skills and have built a great network of colleagues who share my same interests and passions. I have also established a network of people who are in the workforce who are willing to give me a leg up when it comes time to apply for a job. My school has been valuable to attend because of its rich history as an institution of higher learning for African-Americans. Once I graduate I will be able to add my name to a prestigious legacy that is over 130 years old.Once I graudate I will be a productive memeber of society.

Before you know it four years are going to fly so fast and through out these four years it is manadorty that you do the following first being getting good grades. Don't roll your eyes. I am telling you this you must get good grades now and many doors will open for you. By getting unacceptable grades you will not be eligble to go to the school of your choice. The second thing that you need to do is study for that SAT and the ACT becuase that also affects what schools you are eligible for. Next it is never to late to start appyling for scholarships please do not wait till the last minute because books, tutition, and other mischellious fees pile up rapidly. Lastly the moment mommy and daddy drives off from helping you move in that is the start of your indepndence as a young adult. If you do not remember anything I said in this conversation keep this thought in mind you will have friends who are paying for their own tutition and while others stay home because they could not afford school so be thankful. You got this stay humble and respect youself love.

In finding the best school for you there are many characteristics to view; finances, rating of the school, distance from home, setting and weather and overall size of the classes. It is important to find a balance in what you want and what is realistic. What I urge students to do is to embody the term ambition. Display drive and liberalism, despite the many obstacles that you may face on a daily basis, it will allow you to appreciate life and all it has to offer. Take every mistake as a learning experience and have no regrets. To be successful one must be humble and in turn realize that mistakes form wisdom and wisdom allows for a better decision to be made in the future. In addition, learn that to be a good college student one has to be open and willing to try new and different things. It is alright to have fear, but you can not let fear paralyze you. Let fear be a catalyst, let fear push you to try harder in your endeavors in school. In essence, it is your strength and decision making that will determine how you make the most of college.