Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

While students have other activities around campus, academics are obviously the main focus of all students. For the most part, professors do know my name. Even in my Introduction to Economics class, with about 50-60 students (which is HUGE for Wake), my professor knows my name. I would say that on average, students study almost every day. This is not like a large state university where you can go out every night of the week. Students mostly only go out on weekends or Wednesday nights. Classes, for the most part, are not optional. Almost every teacher has an attendance policy that expects students to be there on a regular basis. Wake students know this and rarely miss class. Class participation is very very very common. Almost every teacher has a percentage of the grade allocated to class participation. Wake students are very competitive. It is just the nature of people here. Even if students are not in the same classes, many students will compete with each other to have a high GPA.

Unless you like being a social security number instead of a name, you can't hate the class size here. The largest class I've had held about forty students and the smallest I've been in had eight. The average class size probably lingers around fifteen to twenty. This creates a fairly warm and inviting atmosphere in which to express your opinion. Don't be fooled though, just because it's cozy, doesn't mean that it isn't competitive! No one will try to sabotage your grade, but be prepared for them to compare what you got to what they got when you get your exams back! Everyone gets a rough professor that does what they want because they have tenure, but for every one professor that you have that you don't like, you'll have eight that you adore and hold a relationship with even after you turn in your final.

You will have to study for every class, no matter how easy. If you talk to professors outside of class (like going to their office hours) they will definitely know your name. The smaller the class, and the more times it meets a week will increase the chances of the prof knowing you. Students are competitive with themselves, but not necessarily with other people. There isn't a lot of sharing your grades with other people for comparison. Divisionals are good and they are what makes wake a liberal arts school. If you don't like them, don't come here. During orientation, they said that "In order to be here now, you were probably pretty busy in high school." Very true statement. Most people were pretty smart cookies for their high schools.

Classes are hard, for sure. The nickname work forest didn't just come out of no where. Compared to other schools, I would definitely say the work load is more, but keep in mind that it doesnt seem so overwhelming when everyone else around you has the same difficult course load. It isn't going to affect your social life too negatively as long as you learn to budget your time wisely. It's very manageable, and in the end worth the hard work. I'm a chemistry major, so I have an even more difficult load than other students and I still find time to go out nearly every weekend and watch movies or TV during the week. It's something you learn to balance eventually.

I'm impressed that professors do know everyone's name. My favorite class was Dr Batten's Human Sexuality class and my least favorite was American and Brit Lit. Personally, I don't spend a significant amount of time studying but I do know a select few that when they aren't in class or sleeping, they are in the library. Intellectual conversations outside of class do happen but the ones I've experienced are usually in a bar setting with alcohol involved. Are students competitive? Ruthless is a better word. The education at Wake for me seemed like it was for learning's sake. I am job searching right now and I don't feel prepared at all.

Professors know my name. My favorite class is biological anthropology -- combines my interest in history and genetics. Least favorite -- any and all physics. Students study all the time. Participation is common and expected of students. Wake students have many intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are definitely competitive. Most unique class -- Art History. Major department -- history..generally small department. I do not spend time with professors outside of class but I know of students who do. I feel the underclassmen academic requirements are too much. Geared towards learning.

One word: rigorous. You will work hard to receive a good education here. It's not impossible to get a high GPA, but it is tough. You will often see students studying into the wee hours of the morning on any given day of the week. The students are competitive only insofar as they are intelligent, which almost every person at Wake is. It is common to see lines at a professor's door for office hour discussion. You will have to fulfill a number of divisional requirements for any degree from the university, and the requirements for each major are different.

Wake is great as far as academics are concerned. One key example of how great the professors are in general just happened to me. I am in a Religion course and I got a grade on a paper that I was not happy with. I talked to the professor, who was more than willing to give me tons of feedback and scheduled a time to meet with me around MY schedule, and he allowed me to write a replacement paper and drop that grade! I don't think that this could happen at any other school with a larger student body, and that's why academics at Wake are great.

Academics at Wake are difficult. Do not come to Wake Forest if you don't expect to study your ass off. Certain majors are more difficult than others, however, so take a variety of classes before settling on a major. Wake has a broad spectrum of divisionals it requires, so be prepared for that. Wake Students are big on participation in class, especially in smaller classes. Students are competitive, so be prepared. Essentially, if you do not enjoy reading, studying and homework, Wake may not be a great choice for you.

Yes. ~ Favorite this semester: Internship at Baptist Hopsital, Least this semester: Hindu Religious Traditions ~ My friends study all the time. ~ Yes. ~ Yes. ~ Yes. ~ Magic Ritual and Power in Indian Culture ~ Religion major - the Religion department is amazing I love all of my professors and I'm close with most of them. We're a small department too so that helps. ~ Yes. ~ Tooo many required courses - though it's getting better. ~ Learning for its own sake on the Undergraduate side thats based on Liberal Arts.