Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

the professors here are terrific. all my professors know my name, and the class size is perfect. i really love my econ class with Boko, he really knows his stuff and he's really interesting. students here study a lot; pre-med students tend to live in the library. class participation is often a part of our grade, so there is a lot of it in the classroom. wake students are rather competitive, but not as much as i've seen or heard about at other schools. i haven't picked a definite major yet, but i'm interested in economics. the education i'm getting at wake is partly for its own sake, because of everything im also learning outside of the classroom, and because it's liberal arts so i get to learn about everything, and also towards getting a job because i think it will impress my future employers.

Most professors know my name. I am a biology major, and all of my professors are so enthusiastic about the classes they are teaching. Students study all the time anywhere they can, but have fun too. Many of my classes are lecture style, so class participation is less in those. But my english class and sociology class were very involved. Students are competitive to a certain extent, but not to a malicious extent. People are willing to help if you do not understand something. I am going on a trip to Peru that my Bio professor from last semester takes every summer. There were too many divisional requirements when I entered Wake, but they've lowered them some. Education is geared toward learning and then once you get to junior year they start getting you to attend career services events.

In most classes my professors know my name. My favorite class is my modern art class, my least favorite is my math class. Students study varying amounts, but most study a good deal in order to keep up. Yes in most classes, people participate. Wake students do have intelligent conversations outside of class, especially about current events and politics. Yes students are very competitive, it is the reason why we are all here. My most unique class was my social dance class. My major department has great faculty and a great arts building. No I don't really spend time with my professors outside of class unless I have a question or concern. Wake has too many divisional requirements. I think it is a good mix depending on your department between learning for learning sake and getting a job.

Professors definitely know my name, even in "large" lecture classes of 40. The academics are rigorous-- each professor assigns work as if you are only taking their class that semester. It was nice coming to Wake from a public high school, because I noticed that Wake students are able to bring what they read about and learn in the classroom to conversations and debates in their dorms. GPAs are competitive, mostly because each of us was at the top of our class in high school and suddenly had to work much harder to make lower grades. Wake definitely gears you towards a future-- for Calloway students, it's getting a 5-figure salary right out of college; for med students, it's having one of the highest acceptance rates into med schools; for everybody else, it's grad school.

Professors definitely know your name. Some professors even invite their classes over for dinner. The classes are small which is great for discussion. The Business School has a lot of group projects, which are great to talk about during interviews. It seems that students in the Business School and pre-med have the most homework, but overall, there is a lot of studying going on. We work hard, play hard. Students are competitive, but more with themselves than each other. I have never had another student refuse to help me with something just so that they do better. Wake has a lot of academic requirements, but you do have options and it does broaden your horizons. No matter what you major if, you are going to learn a lot of valuable information for your future.

My professors know my name; students study a good deal; class participation is generally very common; I have intellectual conversations with my friends outside of class and I know of other people who do, but I have a feeling that it is uncommon practice; students are not all that competative; my major is great-- the Bio department here is strong with great professors, great research opportunities, and a fair selection of classes; I do spend time with professors outside of class- two in particular are good friends of mine now and we go to lunch every month; Wake's academic requirements for the current class are fine; Education here is more geared towards learning mostly, but some classes have a different mindset

The academics at Wake are nothing to sneeze at. We take it very seriously. The profs know our names. We study all the time. Class participation is common, and people have things to say, esp. in their concentration/major. We do have intellectual conversations outside of class, but we don't over do it. We recognize how nerdy/dorky we are because we actually like learning, but we also take great pride in it. Students are competitive, but mostly against either the system or themselves. It's rare to find someone who tries to beat someone else's grade publicly. My department rocks. They are the best department because I love all of the professors. We're like a big family. It's awesome.

Academics are the best thing about Wake. Class sizes on the whole are very small and professors are absolutely amazing. This is not to say the work load isn't difficult and requires a lot of studying, but often times classes are interesting so the work is enjoyable. I've had many great professors who are not only geniuses but do a great job of teaching class and offering help outside of class. I have multiple professors who I consider friends and visit with whenever I have a chance. Academic requirements give students a taste of everything and are to the students benefit. Wake is geared for learning for it's own sake, but will definitely help you get a job after school.

Every professor I've had knows my name. I've had 3 classes in my 3 years here with more than thirty students in them... the majority of my classes have under ten students (which sucks when you skip). The professors are beyond amazing and really passionate about teaching and making sure you learn. This semester, my favorite class is History of the German Language. Although it's fifty minutes long three times a week, it feels like five minutes and I'm so interested in the class discussions I often forget to take notes. The education here at Wake Forest is not about getting a job; it's about learning for the sake of learning and making the most of your time at college.

Professors know my name: almost always Favorite class: MIS with Professor McCray, always depends on the teacher Least favorite class: most core classes Study: all the time except on weekends Class participation: a must for a good grade Intellectual conversations outside class: yes with good friends Competitive: yes to a degree Most unique class: Interpersonal Communication with Professor Louden Major department: business with the undergraduate Calloway Business School Outside class time with professors: no Academic requirements: too many core requirements although recently revised Job or learning centered: mainly learning but job as well