Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

yes, class size is great. ive been able to get close to a good amount of my professors. students study very hard here, class participation is very common and strongly encouraged. very interactive-type teaching methods. students are competitive, but mainly within themselves...students are very helpful and encouraging with one another. most unique class: psychopharmacology. im a psychology major. i spend time with my psychology honors professor outside of class. liberal arts education is about learning for its own sake (wake forest)...but they do a great job of giving opportunities for teaching outside the classroom which helps in getting a job.

I'd say most of my professors, if not all, know my name. My favorite class this semester would probably have to be photography and my least favorite philosophy, which i am only taking as a divisional requirement. Students study a lot here, too much, which is another thing I would change about it-it's a great education, but too much work-students need more of a college/party atmosphere throughout the week. I dont spend time with my professors outside of class. Wake helps you in terms of looking for careers, which is nice, and I'd say its mostly geared toward that as opposed to the joy of learning.

The classes are small enough so that professors know your name and are definitely available for help whenever you need it. There is a lot of work, and classes are hard, but if you keep up with the readings and assigned homeworks then you will be fine. I believe the most popular majors are business and communications, but there are certainly a great deal of pre-med students as well. Teachers encourage class participation and it is taken into account in grades for many classes. Students definitely study a great deal, but it's certainly a manageable workload if you allocate your time correctly.

Almost all of the classes are small, less than 20 students. Students spend a large amount of time studying, but I don't find that they are extremely competitive. I think certain majors are more geared toward getting a job, like Business, but then there are the humanities where learning for its own sake is highly valued. Wake's emphasis on a liberal arts education is very important; as students, we enjoy the benefits of a well-known school (in the working environment) as well as a solid background on a variety of issues that we normally wouldn't encounter in a large public school.

Student-teacher ratio at Wake is small, so your professors will know you name, and are very accessible. Students are generally motivated to make good grades, but unfortunately, few are interested in learning or engaging the material in class. Most of the people here are studious, but learning isn't a huge priority for most of them. The professors at Wake are definitely geared toward teaching the subject for learning's sake (as opposed to training students for a job), so if you're actually interested in being educated, a little self-discipline will get you there.

Professors know their students. My favorite class was my First Year Seminar because my professor was the most intriguing person I've ever met and made everyone interested in the topic. Students tend to study in large chunks because the social scene is still so apparent. Students are very competitive, both socially and academically. I think the education at Wake is geared toward learning more than getting a job, at least in the liberal arts school, but I also think students are able to take that knowledge and apply it to jobs to be successful after graduation

Students definitely study and work hard. Let's not lie--really hard. The classes are small enough that the professors almost always know your name and recognize your presence in class. Many really want to support you both in and outside of the classroom. I have been over to multiple professor's houses for dinner for a special class discussion or celebration. I have the type of relationship with a few of the professors in my department such that tears have been shed in their offices, laughter is common, and conversation extends way past the classroom.

I think the classes are incredibly difficult at Wake but I appreciate what I am learning in the classrooms. If I could though, I would like to change the divisional requirement classes. I think that testing in divisional credit classes should be standardized. It is amazing what a difference you see in your grade based on your teacher. You can work so hard in a class for a C while another person in the same class with a different teacher does nothing for an A. That is unfair and I think standardized testing would be a great way to change that.

My professors know my name. Favorite class is biology. Least favorite is History. I study for at least 3-4 hours a day. Class participation is very common. Students do have intellectual conversations outside class. Students are very competitive. Most unique class would be RAD. My major is biology. I do not spend time with professors outside class, however I intend to change that. Wake's academic requirements are very rigorous, but i think they have to be that way. I think the education is geared towards both.

Wake's classes are small and therefore more personal. It sucks though because with smaller classes it is harder to skip. There is absolutely no grade inflation at this school people work extremely hard to get good grades. Everyone works hard and wants to do well. The professors are good and personal your professor will know and say hello to you outside of class. The academic requirements are great at Wake. They have recently changed them to make it alot easier and the requirements are very doable now.