Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

I like the small class size and the fact that most professors know your name and give you the opportunity to really participate, and they are willing to make time to help you and not just have some TA interact with you...Academics are extremely important to Wake students, mostly everyone seems to take school very seriously, but that is not to say too seriously...I like that Wake allows you time to take a broad range of courses with the divisional requirements before declaring your major sophomore year.

Students are not competitive but rather have a "we're all in it together" mentality. Helping classmates study for tests or giving them notes they missed is a common practice. The library is absolutely packed during midterms and finals. Students take work very seriously but also take partying very seriously. Professors are generally very approachable and care about the students. Many classes incorporate student discussions and participation is encouraged, not seen as "uncool" but other students.

professors know names almost always. students study a good bit, but also make plenty of time for going out/partying. there is definitely a balance of the 2. wake students do have intellectual conversation outside of class and the students are competitive. depending on the major, Wake can either be geared toward learning for its own sake or for getting a job- but i think almost any wake graduate has a great opportunity to get a decent job upon graduation if they try hard enough.

Yes professors know their students names because classes are usually somewhat small. I love my political science classes, and dislike foreign language. Students study all the time, we are always working! Wake students are intelligent and interested in world issues and have intellectual conversations in their everyday lives. Students here aren't really that competitive. I feel like the foreign language requirement is entirely too much! I like the liberal arts aspect though.

Academics at Wake are definitely tough. Given this, the faculty and staff try to give students every chance to succeed and do well. Classes are small which fosters learning and encourages participation. Teachers are always available for extra help. Wake provides an active learning environment in which the student is challenged, but has the tools for success. In the end, the value of a Wake Forest education is something that I expect will evident for the rest of my life.

The Wake academic experience is one of only a few in America. You are taught by really great teachers who are experts in their fields of study. I have also always felt comfortable in approaching my professors. The student:teacher ratio of 11:1 is also very attractive for a particular student. I am very happy with my academic experience here at Wake Forest and it has definitely equipped me for the different opportunities I will undertake after graduation.

-academics are intense, professors have high expectations, students have higher expectation -wake has a great deal of academic requirements -everyone is highly concerned with getting jobs after graduation, everything appears to be a means to an end, rather than just learning for enjoyment; this isn't the fault of our professors though, the education isn't geared in such a manner, but rather it is a result of the competitive nature of students

wake has the nickname "work forest" for a reason. youll end up doing a lot of work. though frankly it may just be because the people here are very motivated, so they put effort into getting good grades. there is no grade inflation here, if anyhting its deflation. most people actually do get Cs which is hard for a lot of us to get used to. all the professers are great. the classes are small enough that they all will know your name.

Wake recently changed their divisional requirements, so now we have more freedom to take what we want instead of what's required. All professors hold office hours, and in my experience all are willing to schedule other times to meet if their office hours aren't conducive to your schedule. Many professors build class participation into the grading percentage breakdown, but class sizes are small enough to where this isn't a problem.

the professors know my name and are always very eager to help students (at least in my experience). wake students have intellectual conversations outside of class but i would like to see more. i feel like once we get out of class a lot of our energies are focused into studying so once we finally have downtime to actually have a conversation we don't want it to be intellectually focused.