Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

that we're all rich and white and brilliant.

Preppy, rich, stuck up, conservative

The girls at wake forest are all skinny. Those who are not blond dye their hair so that they can be. Those who are pale go to tanning beds until their skin looks like orange leather. Everyone wears lily pullitzer, vineyard vines, and pearls. Everyone owns a designer purse, with designer shoes and sunglasses to match. The quality of the items obviously doesn't matter, only that the designer name is plastered across the front to show off. The guys at wake forest wear short shorts and rainbows or sperry's. Guys who join fraternities think they're "so fratty" and guys who don't are outcasts.

Wake students are stereotyped as rich, southern white kids who are spoiled, status-driven and, at times, racist. The campus is very fratty and there is sometimes hostility between greeks and non-greeks. Overall, the greek organization is a wonderful component of the community, but there are some that take it to a different level. Each frat and sorority have very distinct stereotypes. Some sororities are type casted as sluts, rich bitches, dorks, losers, alcoholics and crazy whores. Some fraternities are considered to be racist, losers, gay or sketchy.

Since I am an athlete I realize this stereotype more than most. There is a stereotype about athletes. Athletes are dumb, only could get into Wake for sports, poor so they are on scholarship, just hang out with eachother- they are their own sorority/fraternity, they wear just sweat pants and all of their team stuff all the time, they are different, etc... Athletes are put into their own category like we are different from everyone. At Wake there are the "greeks", "regs" and "athletes".

People in recent history loved to label Wake Forest students as a bunch of rich white kids, many of whom will actually strive towards academic achievement. Wake is also known for its heavy course load and rigid academic standards. However, the work-hard/ play-hard mentality is alive and well; studying for many kids is usually post-ceded by binge drinking (and preceded for the Pi Phi's), as having a good time is the only way to take a load off whenever things get tough.

We work and play hard. I think this is the biggest one. And to be honest, it is pretty true. We have a great time here and the social environment is absolutely great. It's not for everyone but it fits many who come here very well. You will also obtain a great education at Wake Forest. I highly recommend it for a social person who also is willing to learn.

Wake's student body is considered very good looking and in shape. Wake is said to be extremely hard - work hard, play harder. Wake students are said to be extremely preppy and the girls get very dressed up for classes ans such. There is not much diversity and that especially if the Greek realm everyone seems the same.

Wake is definitely one of those schools with lots of rich, preppy students, both stereotypically and in reality. And while you definitely will see your fair share of designer jeans and shoes in any given class, there will also be the athletes and straight-out-of-bed students who rep the sweats.

Rich, white girls and boys go to Wake. Girls are in sororities and wear dresses to football games. Boys are in frats and wear polo shirts with khaki shorts. Wake is like a bubble- students are unaware of what is happening outside in the real world- outside of Wake Forest campus.