Minneapolis, MN

Walden University

« See more reviews of Walden University

First of all I would have started college right out of high school, as I took a year off, and ended up starting a family. I waited 20 years to reach my dreams of going to college, being the first in my family to even graduate from High School. I am the first now to attend a 4 year program. I would advise High School Seniors to really look at the aid that is out there, try to get scholarships or grants because I am now $60,000 in debt trying to get a degree at home so I can still raise my family and be the mother and wife I am supposed to be. If I would have started out of High School, school would have been much cheaper then back in 1990. Oh on the survey, I accidentally marked wrong boxes, I looked at the buttons wrong and I could not go back and fix them, some of the Extremeley dissatisfied should actually be extremely satisfied and I did not know how to let you know besides here! Next survey, please have a back button!

I have been at my school since January of 2009. I am glad that I chose Ivy Tech to attend because it has offered me a lot. I am only two more semesters away from finishing my paralegal degree. The teachers I've had are all lawyers and have a lot of information to share with you even outside of what their class is. I've learned to become a better speaker and writer. My new found communication skills have allowed me to step out my box and become friends with several people in different classes, joining in study groups to become a more effective student. I'm also getting help with finding a law firm to take my internship at that may lead to a future career and even if not I know my school will help me find a job upon graduation. I've loved my experiences at college thus far. It has been valuable for me to attend college because I know I am getting more than the knowledge I need to enter my profession of choice.

I would tell myself to stay strong. College is 180 degree turn around from High School. Every day you are surrounded around distractions that you didn’t even think would distract you. College is like a train that keeps going and slows down for no one so you have to be ready for everything that comes your way. The way you study in High School is not going to be acceptable in college. Yes you graduated with NHS honors but that means nothing once you get into college. You have to start off fresh and new, all your old habits have to be thrown away. Don’t get me wrong, the transition sounds rough but it will also be a life changing experience. Not only will you be learning different and more complex material, but you will also learn how to study the correct way and become a more disciplined person. You’ll have your fun and make new friends but you can never forget what you’re striving for.

College is a lot different than I first imagined it to be. I started off at a school with very limited careers and lived in the dorms there on campus. I loved my roommates and it was a lot of fun. I learned how to manage my time better and that the important thing in college is studying, NOT partying. I also learned that a college is a business; they want your money. Not all col uleges will be completely truthful to their applicants so it is important to have realistic ideas. I have now decided that I want to pursue a bachelor's degree at a university. I moved back home and am attending a community college until the fall when I will begin at the university. I was really stressed about all the change at first, and I miss my roommates, but I've realized that changing your mind, making mistakes, and figuring things out is normal and just part of the whole college process.

Having a college degree has opened the door to so many additional opportunities that would ont be there if I would not have decided to return to college. One of the greatest experiences has been being dedicated to my courses and graduating with a 4.0. This is something that traditionally I would have never thought that I would have accomplished, but I did. I also was able to work full-time, raise a family, work part-time, and live my life without being tied down to an actual classroom. I have also instilled the importance of a college education to my son and have been an excellent role model to him and my niece. It is never to late to return to college to get that education that is so critical. I am now returning to school to get my Master's degree and hopefully open the door to so many other possibilities. My education is something that can never be taken away from me.

The most valuable things I have gotten from college so far are organization, education, and socialization. I believe organization is important because it teaches me to prioritize not only my school responsibilities but my life responsibilities. I am now better able to balance my funds, pay bills on time, and keep accurate records of all transactions and important documents. Education is important to me because it encourages my mind to grow, and that not only affects my future capabilities but my own self esteem. I believe one should never stop learning and I can honestly say education fuels my heart, mind, and soul! Socialization is also important to me because it opens my eyes to other people and their situations. You can say that I am somewhat sheltered, so through school I have met and interacted with many different people and I am extremely thankful for it.

Try harder that last year! Skip the parties and worry about working when you're older. Really apply yourself this senior year so that you're ready for college. You CAN do Algebra ll, you just need to get a tutor and try harder. Don't transfer out to easy math, you got this girl! And no one remembers you fainting in the pool your sophomore year on the swim team, let it go! You can talk to the coach, it's ok, he isn't holding that against you. You should have stayed on the team for the past 2 years so you could swim in college to help keep that butt size down just a little bit. But, since no one seems to tell you enough, I want to leave you with one last thing. You are strong, and you are smart and you are witty and you deserve everything you strive for. Keep your chin up, keep smiling, and remember, you have to love yourself before you can truely love another.

The advice I would give my former self is, "Know how to fail". Life is full of ups and downs, you will fail a lot of things and you will also accomplish so many other things. But understanding how to fail will get you farther in life. It is no one's intention to fail at anything, but failing helps you grow that much stronger. Failing shows you how to succeed. It is important to learn that if you fail you grow from it. You know what to do differently the next time around. But if you know how to fail, you also learn how to succeed. You grow and learn from your experiences and failures. So use your failures as your motivation to succeed in anything you do. Once you know how to fail, then you will learn how to succeed.

I have learned about medical terminology, vitasl signs, pharmacy, limited scope radiology, injections. I have until july to finish . It has been valuable to attend because when I graduate, I can have a better career and make more money so I can take care of my animals, my son and possible have one more child. I would have many opportunites for careers because I learned more and it is not just one major but variety of exams I can take to work in many different places and types of places in medical. I am thinking more on pharmacy technician but am not sure yet. I will be able to remodel my home later by making it bigger because of my education. I got more knowledge in being a caregiver with these classes I an taking .

I would tell myself, not to wait and take that year off between high school and college! The reason, it is too difficult to get back into the swing of studying and taking notes and the like. I would also say not to dwell so much on the high school drama that all teens get wrapped up in, because when it comes down to it, that stuff does not matter. I would also tell myself to really work hard on having great study skills because you will need them more than ever. I would also tell myself to get over the fear of meeting new people and being intimidated by new teacher's or professors, because meeting a new professor is not so bad, I have actually gotten along well with all of mine so far.