Western Michigan University

« See more reviews of Western Michigan University

The LGBT group is always doing things to raise awareness and many people are involved. The religious groups are also really popular. Sports are obviously a big part of campus life. The football team and the hockey team are really popular as well as the ultimate frisbee team oddly enough. Many people are involved with ultimate frisby and are really dedicated. I'm involved in the Lee Honors College, I help fundraise for certain events at the school and provide community service often. Students in dorms definitely leave their doors open because everyone's trying to meet new people and making new friends. Athletic events are a big deal, if students aren't at the event they're watching it on t.v. Guest speakers are popular only if the speech topic pertains to the student's major. Theater provides shows often enough that many students will catch a show at least once a month but not every single show. Being a freshman, most people my age aren't really into the dating scene. Dating is more casual and low key. I met my closest friends through living in the dorms. I knew a couple people from my hometown but I mainly hang out with people that live in my dorm. I also met a few friends through classes and that has stemmed great relationships. People stay up until 2am all the time, some possibilities would be playing video games, studying, watching a movie, drinking, anything really. It's not really an oddity to be up that late but it's not for everyone especially if you have an early class the next morning. Theres homecoming for football every year and a Western vs. Central game which is a huge rivalry, there's always a large celebration and preparation for that game. St. Patrick's Day is also an extremely large production within the Western community each year. People party Thursday, Friday and Saturday typically but most people don't go out every day of the weekend but it is definitely available. Fraternities throw parties every weekend so they are popular for that, but they are not necessary if you don't want to join. The last weekend I was at Western I went to Art Hop on Friday which is a small art show downtown and after that I went to a friends and we walked to a party close by. On Saturday I walked to a friends house for a party. There is often live music in downtown Kalamazoo that can be enjoyable, there's also art shows sometimes at the KIA and sometimes theater shows at Miller Auditorium. Dorms will also have activities planned sometimes like a game night or something the R.A.s come up with. Off campus I go to concerts, walk around in downtown Kalamazoo, go to friends' houses or apartments and shop.

The major groups of students are either: Jocks, Hippies/musically inclined people, art and theater students, and brand-focuses people (i.e. the sorority and fraternity students as well as ones who never really left the high school mentality that looks and clothes make the person). I never lived in the dorms, as I mentioned above, so I have no knowledge of dorm life. Tailgating is a large part of the athletic events popularity, but many students do enjoy the sports events in general. We have a very good theater program and Miller Auditorium brings in many touring Broadway plays as well as musical acts. Students get discount tickets, which enables them to be able to afford going to these shows. We also have a lot of guest speakers. I actually know my closest friend from back home, but I have met many wonderful people down here. At 2 am on a Tuesday, you could either go to one of the many 24 hour restaurants, or go shopping at Meijer or something. The bars close at 2 am, so that is out. The Bernhard Center on campus is open 24 hours, so you could go to the computer lab or grab some coffee at a local 24 hour coffee shop. Waldo Library is open until 4 am so that is an option as well. Each year, there are a number of annual festivals such as Island fest and Irish fest. Also, every month, local businesses downtown open up their doors after hours and participate in something called the "Art-Hop". The local business will host a local artist to display their artwork and they will also usually provide wine and cheese as well. People party pretty much Thursday-Sunday or any big game/event night as well. We also have a large bar scene. There are a lot of fraternities and sororities on campus and they are fairly popular. Last weekend I wrote 4 papers and read about 600 pages worth of stuff for my classes, hah. On a Saturday night, you could go to the movies, coffee shops, museums and art galleries, go out to dinner and a number of the local restaurants downtown, etc. I do any of these things off campus as well.

Western Student Association is our student run government on Western Michigan University's campus and it holds events weekly, including meetings. WSA meets every Wednesday and is open to all students, which works out well because many of them end up getting involved with the organization in one way or another. Campus Activities Board (CAB) is also very popular on campus; they bring most of the celebrities to campus, including Nick Pike, Ludacris, and Jason Derulo. They are funded by money that enrolled students pay for in a fee that is included in tuition, and because of that most events put on by CAB cost $2 or less! They are fun and creative registered student organization to get involved in on Western Michigan Universities campus, and that is why so many students do! OutSpoken is also a large registered student organization on our campus. They are a group for LGBT students and allies. They hold events that pertain to their mission and close the gap on the stereotypes that still exist for LGBT students. They have the best in mind for all students and I think that is why so many students participate in OutSpoken. You don't have to be LGBT to join; straight students can be allies, which means that they stand for what the organization is doing and for LGBT students. Doors are always open in the resident halls and people are always willing to help. The dining halls hold an annual Thanksgiving feast that is held before school is let out for break and everyone attends. Around 12% of our students are involved in a social fraternity or sorority and many are also involved in fraternitites for their majors, and for honors.

The Fraternities and Sororities are all located together on one street consecutively ... one after the other so parties last all night long and party hopping is often encouraged, with students stubling drunk from one frat to the next one after the other. Thirsty thursday, people are getting drunk untill like 1:30 seeing as no one has friday classes here. Friday and Saturday people are often seen drinking at all times of the day, cops dont seem to enforce underage drinking or public drunkeness at all ever and their presence never stops a party NEVER. People just don't seem to care. The student ghetto has the next largest concentration of social connection. Old houses subdevided into small apts. make a huge neighborhood close to the stadium and people party here as much as fraternity row. Smoking happens here more. An apartment complex called the arboretums is the final party central. Free parking, a pool and great fitness center, most parties in an apartment are here, usually people can be seen walking in circles outside listening to see which party to goto. Divine 9 Fraternities and Sororities are not located on frat row and hold their own events at private locations and often promoted on facebook, parties are garunteed to sell out around 12:30 as inflation rises on cover. Most people come to Bigelow cafe, the largest cafeteria on campus to eat and hangout long after they have eaten. Regulars can be seen frequenting the grill and crowing the TV's or Patio-style tables. Also in the fall Bigelow has air-conditioning!

There are a large number of fraternities and sororities, there is the Campus Activities Board, lots of intramural sports and a bunch more groups i probably dont even know about. I am involved in Campus Crusade for Christ or "Cru" which is an interdenominational Christian organization but it is just one of several. We meet once a week in a big group meeting as well as have "community groups" another night. We also have several trips/retreats throughout the year which are an absolute blast! Cru is a group for Christians of all kinds and even those that know nothing about Christianity and are just curious. Students in the Freshman dorms leave their doors open towards the beginning of the year but less as the year progresses so make sure to go and meet people right off the bat. The athletic events are popular because students get in free to every home event. I met my closest friends through Cru. If i am awake at 2am on tuesday im probably watching tv in my dorm while talking to people in AIM. Bronco bash happens every year at the beginning of the year and it is a great way to find out about all the student organizations and get some free stuff. Last weekend in was in Florida on spring break. On saturday nights you can go out to the movies, go sledding in the winter, just hang out at someone's apartment and play games, my friends and i sometimes go to a jazz club and smoke cigars.

Organizations: Drive Safe Kalamazoo, Campus Activities Board, LGBT (OutSpoken) Groups: Greek Life (Sigma Chi, Chi Omega, Delta Zeta, Sigma Kappa) Teams: Football, Hockey I'm involved in Draper/Siedschlag Hall Council My freshman year in Henry Hall, my neighbors and I kept our doors open all the time. My experience in D/S is that they do not. Athletic Events are very popular (esp. for the male teams) I met my closest friends by living in the residence halls for 3 years! If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, it's because I'm doing homework. If it's nice out we could be playing ultimate frisby or something!! Every year Homecoming is a big eventful week, Senior Citien's Prom at the Bernhard Center, Little Sibs Weekend (1 per semester), etc. Last weekend I got together with friends and did homework. Watch a movie in a friend's room (dorm), play cards, video games, board games, cook fun foods/desserts, play spoons, play sports outside (ex: ultimate frisby, tennis, football) go to a movie for cheap with student discounts off campus, shopping in Kalamazoo, go out to eat at the Union where WMU music studets preform (downtown), CATCH PHRASE (my friends and I love that game!!), etc. Shopping, movies, out to eat, go to friends' apartments, go to work, go to the beach in south haven, etc.

In the black community - YBM will always be big, different greeks will shine at different times. I think Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma are the two big ones at the moment. I love NSBE, we have many professional development activities for our students. When I was in the dorms everyone left their doors open 2am on a tuesday, either just leaving a bar (Firehouse if any, Tuesday isn't a big day) but I am probably studying, maybe even cramming for a Wed exam CAB always have Miller Movie and other cheap/free events Bronco Bash is something big that happens at the beginning of each year and of course homecoming and at homecoming I always attend the free NPHC Marchdown (black greek stepshow) People party often - Under 21 Thur-Sat, Over 21 Wed-Sun. Any day there is a bar that has a lot of people there Frats/Soros in the black community are important Last weekend I was actually at NSBE's National Convention Saturday Night - Dinner at the Union with live music and then catch a movie at the Rave. Bowling is also fun, other than that there isn't too many close options (1 miniature golf place and no go-cart places within 5 miles)

The students in my hall do not leave their doors open. They did more at the beginning of the year, but as time goes on, it seems fewer and fewer doors are open, though many left unlocked and friends just go in. My closest friends I met either by living with, meeting as Bronco Buddies, or by taking the same class and now we're dating. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm either studying or at my boyfriend's apartment hanging out, possibly studying over there, or watching the History Channel. Everything I do doesn't involve drinking. I don't drink or party, and though I don't have the most extensive social life, I have multiple friends and I like to spend time with them. Often I just go to my boyfriend's apartment or to my friends' apartments off campus. Other things I seem to repeatedly do include go shopping at Meijer late at night, bowling, watch a movie - Theater, Miller, or rented. When it's nice outside, its awesome to go to East campus and look out over Kalamazoo.

I've noticed Sigma Tau Delta is popular with students who are English majors. I'm involved with the German Table, a group who meets once a week to exchange German culture and language. Dorm students tend to close their doors. Football and hockey are more popular than baseball and basketball. We have a very strong offering of guest speakers and theater. I'm a little old for the dating scene, but I notice students tend to meet in classes. I met my closest friends in classes. At 2am on Tuesday, many students are studying. Traditions include Spirit Day, the Friday before Spring Break, which people take off. Students tend to party about every weekend, starting on Thursday. Frats and Sororities are important to the people involved in them, but they do not rule the campus. Last weekend I went on Spring Break! On a Saturday night one can go to the movies, go dancing, visit friends. Off campus I attend church, go to the great library downtown, and go out to dinner often.

student council. i'm in the art history socity; you don't have to be an art history major, just an appreciator of art. students in the valleys leave their doors open, while other dorms, not so much. athletic events are more popular with kids who have played sports previously. guest speakers not so much, theater-probably, but my friends and i are too poor to see them. the dating scene is great, if you like douchebaggy looking guys or bimbo chicks. i met my closest friends through other friends. watching futurama with my boyfriend. homecoming week. every night of the week. important to those who are in them; everyone else either hates them or goes for the parties. homework. go to the movies, go downtown, just chill. visit the kalamazoo institute of art, go to the movies, go to the mall, etc.