Western Michigan University

« See more reviews of Western Michigan University

My least favorite thing about my school is the hassle to receive financial aid. My two older sisters attend Michigan State University so it is obvious that we need student loans to pay for college. Western Michigan University's financial aid office lacks the necessary employees to help you find any loop holes to receive more money. It's often that I'm not sure how to pay rent on my apartment or find enough grocery money, so the lack of help from financial aid money is hurting my college experience at Western Michigan.

The worst thing about my school is the openess of alcohol and drugs. Many students spend all of their spare time and weekends drinking. It is against the law but they do this openly. Drugs are also widely used and available. Sometimes it appears that there is more of an emphasis on these two factors among the students then how important their classes and grades are. I am glad I do not fall into this group.

The worst thing about WMU is that there are some major issues with the education department and education building. This is a big deal because we are highly known for our education program. Some of the major issues include not being able to schedule for classes on time, not being able to meet with advisors in a timely manner, and at times having unhelpful advising sessions.

The only thing I have to complain about at WMU is the parking! It is fiendishly difficult to find parking sometimes. It seems with the amount I am paying to be here, I should have guaranteed parking. Don't get me wrong, WMU is my dream school and I absolutely love it here, but parking is terrible for commuting students as well as those living on campus.

I consider the worst thing about my school to be parking lot restrictions for people who pay for parking passes. I believe that if you pay $300 for a semester to park, you should have more options available for parking. I understand if you don't have a pass, but if you do the authorities should be more lenient. Other than that, Western is GREAT!

More Culture driven is something that comes to mind just because I feel that there should be more cultures from other countries here to really spice up the campus. The university does have it's fair share of culture but to pass by a student from Japan and then one from like Africa would be greater to just see all around campus.

The worst thing about Western Michigan University is that there tends to be a high focus on research for the professors. This is only a big problem when you are taking classes outside of your major. When the professors are teaching you within your major it can be a great way to get involved early on in your higher education.

For me, the worst thing about my school is that the budget for the performing arts is lower than I'd like. As a vocal performance major, it hinders my personal study that we only do one opera a year in the music school, and cannot afford to bring in as many guest artists for master classes, etc as other larger programs can.

Lack of communication between offices, especially in regards to graduation. One office will tell you one thing, a different office will tell you another, and because they can't reach a consensus, you either end up doing way more work than you need to, or not enough and have to stick around for an extra semester or two.

The worst thing about my school is its reputation as a party school. While partying is frequent on campus and that is why many students come here, it is not why I am here and I don't like the reputation of 'Wastern' when it is actually a great school that is very pro-active, advanced, and does great research.