Western Michigan University

« See more reviews of Western Michigan University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

"Wastern", lots of parties, as well as a large "alternative sexuality" population

they drink alot. all they came to western is for the partying and the booze.

We all drink all day long/ we are 100% alcoholics and party 55% of the week

"Wastern" = Party School WMU accepts anyone who applies and/or "breathes"

That we're a party school (Wastern)

that WMU is a party school

Party school (wastern)

Partiers and fat.

Many of the people I've talked to view Western as a second rate school. Many of the people I knew in high school thought that Western was teh place to go if your grades weren't good enough to get into Michigan or MSU. In my experience the students that go to Western are much more ambitious than the people I know from other schools. A few of my friends are parts of the business college and already have jobs lined up with some of the nations top company's (Sun Microsystems, IBM, Microsoft). Although some students don't quite take school seriously, quite a bit of the student population is ready to get out in the work world and change industries.

Many know Western as a party school where alcohol is quite prevalent. If you go to party stores close to campus, you’ll certainly find a t-shirt or two with the nickname “Wastern” scrawled across the front; the nickname offends some, but others wear it with pride. I’ve heard they even have names for every day of the week (like Tanked Tuesday and Thirsty Thursday).