Wheaton College-Wheaton

« See more reviews of Wheaton College-Wheaton

Academics at Wheaton are extremely rewarding. I can honestly and safely say that the classes I took at Wheaton are some of the most thought-provoking classes that challenged many of my perspectives and urged me to look at subjects from different angles. ALL my professors know my name and all the professors are extremely eager to get to know their students. There is a "Dine with the Mind" program at Wheaton, where students are encouraged to treat their professors to a meal at the cafeteria by obtaining a complimentary meal ticket from the Students Activities Office. I have had three lunches with three different professors this year, when we just chatted about ourselves, the course, and our faith. One of my professor invited the class to his house twice to make up for a cancelled class and to host a review session for a test. Another one of my professor invited the class to his house for dinner and movie. Yes, professors love their students here, and students should definitely NOT take this for granted! Two of my favorite classes I've taken so far are Foundations of Ministry with Dr.Root and Intro to Anthropology with Dr.Howell. Dr.Root taught me what it means to be servants of Jesus and genuinely CARE for others, and Dr.Howell challenged me to think about what the gospel say about diversity and different cultures. This class helped me grow in my faith like nothing else. Since class sizes are relatively small, class participation is quite active. Students here are generally intelligent and challenges each other to think. I have had many intellectual conversations with my peers outside of class that were just as valuable as in class learning. Most students take their learning seriously, yet students are definitely not competitive with each other in a nasty / unhelpful way. Since Wheaton is a liberal arts college, there are many general education requirements, ranging from art survey to lab sciences. Wheaton definitely puts emphasis on the idea of "learning for learning's sake," and I can say that, cliche aside, I have felt the joy of learning here.

The professors are probably the single greatest aspect of Wheaton. This is the advantage of going to a small school. The majority of my profs have taken a real interest not just to get to know my name but me. When I show up for an appointment with my academic advisor, my meeting may last nearly 3 hours as this professor and I talk about my future and different options. It is clear they truly care. As far as the classroom goes, Wheaton's not too difficult for most if you really try. Grades are largely just a matter of effort. I hear from transfers from Cornell and Vanderbilt that this distinguishes Wheaton. Students say that the workload necessary to succeed is much larger at Wheaton. Now, I can’t verify that, but I’d like to think it’s true. Supposedly grad schools know this too, and Wheaton students fair well as a result. I certainly hope that’s true because I plan on going to grad school. Also, I’d say that if you’re going to Wheaton, don’t plan on getting a 4.0. I’m not sure if it’s possible, though, I think it largely depends on your major. Wheaton students are very competitive. Informal discussions that sound more like debates are fairly common to overhear in the dorms and cafeteria. These debates can be in any subject from theology to politics from social issues to sports. But the competitive spirit shines through in more areas than academics, particularly intramurals. I personally stopped playing intramurals simply because I don’t think they’re fun. People take them way too seriously. I grew up my entire life playing soccer competitively and was recruited by several D1 schools. Unfortunately for them, I knew that I wasn’t going to play varsity soccer in college. In my one season of intramural soccer, I was slide tackled and injured more times than I probably had been throughout my entire soccer career. Of course, no one was trying to hurt me. They just really wanted the ball.

Wheaton has tough academics. Almost everyone was the "smart kid" in high school so it is a competitive atmosphere. If you're up for a challenge you'll do fine here. I love the foreign language department because languages fascinate me. I'm about to leave for the summer study abroad program Wheaton in Spain and I expect that that will be really helpful for my fluency and really amazing as far as cultural experience goes. The classes at Wheaton are hard for the most part and require alot of work outside of class. Most people, especially girls I've noticed, are pretty studious, but not to the point where they don't like to have fun too. You just have to find your group of people who study about as much as you do and play as much as you do. When I have really stressful nights with alot of work, my friends usually stay up with me while I do it. We know who has what work each week and we support each other. If someone has a really stressful night or does badly on a test we usually go out and get them a cheer up present like their favorite candy or some caffeine if they need to stay up late studying. Wheaton students are mostly pretty intellectual and that's been good for me. I'm challenged to think deeply alot of the time. I do more deep thinking outside of class than I do in class. As a language major, in class I'm usually thinking of how to say something. Outside of class I talk with my friends about deeper things and I really get to think about what I believe and why. It's definitely a very academic, studious atmosphere but there is also support and fun to be had whenever you want.

The professors are what make the academics. Since Wheaton typically has smaller class sizes, the profs normally know your name. most all the profs I've had are extremely personable. I love that my advisor is one of the greatest Archaeological professors in America yet he is totally cool with talking about my life as I chill in his office without an appointment. the professors there are totally there for you. The student body is very intellectual and it really comes out in some of the mealtime conversations I've had. My roomate and I have noticed a continuing trend throughout the sexes. Girls study way too much. During open floor, a week before finals, girls had their doors closed (ie. they didn't want to socialize). Guys on the whole start studying one or two days before the finals. I am an Archaeology major plus an Integrated Philosophy major. people always tell me those are about the two worst majors if I want to get a job. I typically reply, "I don't care; because I like those fields of study." But in actuallity, a degree from Wheaton (especially since it is liberal arts (broad scope of schooling)) will help you in a job search since it is well known for producing good minds.

Academics at Wheaton are fairly rigorous. After taking some classes at other colleges I realize what a blessing this is. Teachers challenge you, this may be uncomfortable at first, but this is far better than teachers coming from a point of thinking you stupid and incompetent. I would suggest to anyone to take the intro to anthropology class with Dr. Howell, it is absolutely amazing for challenging the way you think. Wheaton students are always talking about the things they are learning in class with others outside of class. That is one of my favorite things about the academics here, I feel like I have my own majors and the majors of my friends because we discuss the different things we are learning. As this is a Christian school, theology is discussed widely, but I like it because it isn't necessarily the heady stuff of books, but rather how we can apply theology to our everyday life. A Wheaton education is very much geared towards getting an education rather than a job. It is about figuring out how to apply knowledge to your everyday interactions and everyday life. I saw once that Wheaton is in the top 10 for percent of graduates going on to get another degree.

The professors are so great! Each of my professors made a point to know my name quickly, and to make themselves available to me if I ever had a problem or just wanted someone to talk to. Students study a fair amount at Wheaton. Academics are intense, but I appreciate that. I really like how Wheaton incorporates Christianity with a high level of academics. Most students care about getting good grades, but they definitely want to have good relationships with friends and to just hang out for fun, so Wheaton is a great place for students. Wheaton is a liberal arts college, so we have a list of general education requirements, which are classes that every student has to take that are pulled from every academic discipline so that students will be exposed to lots of different subjects. It can be kind of annoying, but I think it is a good idea for students to get tastes of subjects that they wouldn't otherwise gravitate toward. I am going to feel really prepared when I go into a job. I think Wheaton does an excellent job in preparing each student to feel competent and prepared when they graduate.

The academics at Wheaton are top notch. I started with a double major in English Lit. and Philosophy/ Anthropology (integrated). The professors from all three departments have been amazing, taking time to talk and get to know me, even in introductory courses. Most of the professors are incredibly personable and are very interested in students lives and work. They open their homes to students often. One of my English professors has dinner every thursday night and opens her home to anyone who wants to come. She prepares a great meal and then has a speaker to facilitate a discussion based on student questions. An Anthropology professor opens his home to students to watch movies on Saturday nights. All my professors at Wheaton thus far have been far more interested into forming me into a whole person with knowledge, wisdom, and character rather than just getting grades or preparing me for a job.

Wheaton's academics are really some of the best in the nation. The nickname, "Harvard of Christian schools" isn't a joke. Students study a ton, work hard, and compete harder. Wheaton, more than a place about learning things, is a place about growing, and that means that learning takes place at all time and in all ways. For instance, professors regularly have students over for dinner, or maintain real relationship with students outside of class. Many students go to the same church as professors, and have relationships there. The very fact of maintaining strong Christian values alongside a strong academic focus leads to many trying conversations, both in class and outside. You will study more than you ever have, you will think more than you ever have, you will have more heated debates than you ever have, and you will grow more than you ever thought possible. I guarantee it.

Academics here are pretty much awesome. Professors are accessible for everything from a question after class to lunch, depending on their schedules. The professors usually try to get to know everyone's names, and most classes are small enough for the professors to do so. This is even true of the gen ed professors. Students at Wheaton are competitive, but not in a back-stabbing way. We try our best, but generally we don't get ticked off at that one student who "messed up the curve." And anyway, most classes aren't set up in a fashion that would allow for us to compete against our classmates for the best grades. It allows us to learn for learning's sake, but not so we can best our classmates. This means that we can look at the Dean's list, see people in the 4.0 section, and rejoice over their achievement rather than mourn at our "lesser" ones.

The academics at Wheaton are awesome! There's a lot of amazing Prof's at Wheaton that are genuinly interesting in getting to know you and help you out in any way possible. The classroom sizes are smal, so that's great becuase there wasn't a big switch from class sizes in high school to the class sizes in college, so that also helped to ease my tranisition greatly. Studying amounts vary from season to season. When it is nicer outside, students read on the lawns surrounding and on the campus. However, during the winter, studying really picks up becuase it's so dang cold outside! Stdents are not nearly as competitive as I thought before coming to campus. I am a double major in Business Economics and Christian Education with a Youth Ministry Certificate.... aka.... I have a lot of credits to take ; )