New Castle, DE

Wilmington University

« See more reviews of Wilmington University

From the measurable concept of a college degree to the more abstract concepts of wisdom, patience, and team work, I’ve gained a basis for all of my future endeavors. My college experience has given me a breadth of knowledge that allows me to perform and compete in my chosen field and fully understand how it interacts with other fields of study. I’ve learned that simply completing a task is not much more than the minimum requirement for success and that the importance within the larger scheme of things is far more important. The value of a college degree is far more than the piece of paper that most of us believe is the end-goal when we first apply. It’s not just proof that we’ve passed the courses to the satisfaction of the institution. It’s actually the proof that we’ve finished what we’ve started, that we’ve interacted successfully with a broad range of people with varying backgrounds, and that we’ve been exposed to the broader concept that human is human regardless of borders, ethnicity, religion, or economics. I am educated, but more importantly I know what it means to be human.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell her, " Leslie, you need to take college very seriously. College is more challenging than you think and if you want to be successful you have to make education a priority. Stay focused and keep your GPA up. Also, if you don't want to struggle financially you need to apply for as many scholarships as you can now. Tuition and books are really expensive at a community college and once you get to the university for your bachelor's degree tuition is going to double. Applying for finacial aid is just as important, it's a long process so be patient because in the end it'll all be worth it. Lastly, if you know you want to be a teacher, enroll in the elementary education program and don't change your major, stick with it, I promise you'll love it. Leslie don't ever stop believing in yourself. You might face situations that will make you want to give up but you have to push yourself. Remember that the future belongs to those who believe in their dreams."

Hey Lynaida, this is the future you. Now listen up closely, trust me, you want to hear everything i have to tell you. When you go to college please remember to stay focused. If you don't know something, the teachers are their to help. DO NOT be afraid to ask any question. The quicker you learn the material the easier it is when you reach your last classes before graduation. DO NOT i repeat DO NOT procastinate on any assignments, you cannot afford to flunk any classes! Do you hear me?! College isn't as bad as they say it is and as long as you study something that interest you, you will have no problem succeeding. I know your serious about your education but please remember to enjoy your experience. Attend sports events and school dances. Build a stronger social life and experience new things. College is the place for learning and having fun. Please just learn to balance them sooner than later. I believe in you and i know you have the determination to succeed, just keep what i said in mind. Have fun and just be you!

I have grown a lot as a person since starting college, and given the chance to give advice to myself as a high school senior there is a lot I would say. I think the best advice I would give myself is to take studying seriously. In high school I was always able to get good grades without studying for a single test; however in college it is quite different, so I would advise myself to start good studying habits before graduation. Another piece of advice I would give myself is to not worry about what other kids say about me because none of it matters when you graduate. I was always worried about what others thought about me in high school but after going to college I realize that it is acceptable to be myself because there will always be people in my life who will like me for who I am. While I may never be able to give these two vital pieces of information to the person I was as a high school senior, I am glad I can share this information with the young people that I encounter on a daily basis.

If I could go back in time, I would tell my past self not to listen to my guidance counselor who told me not to waste my money on application fees because I probably wouldn't get into the school of my choice. I listened to him and I regret it. I applied to two schools, a community college and a private college. I was accepted to both and chose the private college because it was out of state. I never liked it at this school but it was close to home. Now, I'm two weeks from graduating with a degree I want nothing to do with and plans to continue my education down south doing something fun and exciting, baking!!! I can't wait to get my life on track, the only problem is the money I need to fund my education. My parents make too much money so I don't qualify for any loans, but they won't help me pay this time and I don't make enough money to support myself and my education. I suppose I would have also told myself to save more money, it's just so hard these days.

Wow! I am about to start college like next year. I have to get serious about life now because the teachers will get serious as well. I need to make sure that the college I‘m going to, will be right for me. By doing so, I could go to open houses and special events. In order, to have money for classes; I have to apply for FAFSA online. Then, I will be able to register for classes. I have the chance to go online and browse different careers that fit me. Scholarships would also be a good idea to apply for at this moment. There are many books that I have to purchase. I have to give my parents the “heads-up” about my expenses on college. I don’t want to waste all of the years in college for something that I wasn’t really into. Even though, there will be a lot of parties going on for college students; I have to put in time to do my school work also. College life is serious and I need to have a set mind about who I want to be in life or what careers fit me.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would teach myself how to capitalize on productivity. Setting goals is a great way to get to where you want to be. I would tell myself to set goals. To achieve these goals I would tell myself to do one small thing each day to work toward one of the goals. To do lists are a great way to break down a busy schedule into manageable sections. Priorities should also be set within the list of tasks, in order to stay focused. Expect the unexpected! Handling high priority items first will allow room for unexpected interruptions. If you do what you have to do so you can do want you want to do! There will never be enough hours in the day to do all the things you set out to do. You don?t have to go to every campus function or go with your friends every time they extend an invitation. Remember to take care of the important things first so that you can get all that you want out of life.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college life I start by telling myself that it is not something to stress over. All during high school techers would stress over how hard college is going to be and how strict professors are. I disagree, all during grade school I have been preparing for the next grade, so when college comes around if I am certain that I have tried my best throughout highschool then there is nothing to worry about. I am well prepared and as long as I focus on my school work, college will be just like any other grade. As for choosing my school I would tell myself to write down the things I am looking for in a school. Then while searching make sure any school that I consider contains all of those quailities. Colege is not something I should settle on. I need to choose the school that is best for me and fits my needs and wants. To settle for anything less than the best is to sacrifice a gift.

I would be thrilled if I could go back in time and tell myself what I should do about finding the right college for me. I would tell myself that there is no such thing as visiting too many schools. I would say to look at every and any school that I am interested in and talk to them and visit them. I would also say to keep an open mind and to not let anyone try and pressure you into a decision before you are ready. I would say to myself that even though you are looking to play a college sport, you need to make sure if something prohibited you from playing that sport that you would love the school for the school. Keeping that in mind because you never know what could happen to you so you need to love the school and feel welcome there. The last thing I would say is follow your heart and know that money shouldn't be a factor because it can always be paid back. Have fun and enjoy your college career and life!!

The most important consideration when picking a college is what you want to do with your life after. Don't worry about which school has the most things to do on campus, the best dorms, the biggest party school, etc. Also, once starting school, be very time oriented. Make time to study and do the work. Don't procrastinate and put things off because your work WILL suffer. In college there is no extra credit or time extension like in highschool. It's also a lot harder to bring your GPA in college. College only lasts for four or five years, after that you have your real life the rest of your life. Save money to pay off student loan, they will haunt you forever afterwards if you can't pay them off. What you do in college is what you will do the rest of your life. If you slack off it's going to show when you start the work force and you will never get promotions or pay raises. Start now for your future.