Wittenberg University

« See more reviews of Wittenberg University

Wittenberg definitely has a healthy party atmosphere but students are dedicated to their academics as well...some more than others. I think there is a good balance between having a good time but doing well in class. Enjoying class and putting effort into classwork is definitely helped by the fact that professors know each of there students name and some things that they do on campus. I feel comfortable around all of my professors and have been to a few of their houses for dinner (with the rest of my class). Most class are discussion based instead of lectures all the time which also gives students a chance to talk about what they are learning not just be talked at. There are so many hands on experiences for all majors on campus and in the surrounding areas. As a communication major I am given opportunities in the department to develop my skills that will be necessary when I graduate. Communication Leaders is one of those opportunities. Comm Leaders is a group of 10 senior comm. majors who showed exemplary leadership skills and a desire to put their communication skills to work and learn how to be able to market themselves in the competitive job market. We do have to take general education requirements, but there are so many options that will fulfill each one that finding a class that you will enjoy and will be beneficial overall is easy to do.

My personal favorite thing about Wittenberg is the professors. They are dedicated to helping you develop not only as a student, but as a person. I have never had a professor that wasn't open to new ideas, or willing to talk to you about your thoughts on the course. They are willing to speak anytime about grades, tests, or any questions you have about anything. The academic standards at Wittenberg are top-notch. One thing that I realized is that college is supposed to be a great experience, but you are there to learn first and foremost. Students generally agree on this, though there are some who don't put forth as much effort as others. The education is core, with liberal arts at the center. Students take a wide variety of classes that help them decide what they want to do after college. With excellent internship opportunities and study abroad opportunities, most students are able to be placed into jobs or graduate school right after graduation.

Academic life is great because of the professors. They're always, always, always willing to help a student out if they need some aid on homework, studying for a test, or for any other number of reasons. Talking to a professor is as easy as shooting them an e-mail, calling them on their provided phone numbers, or walking into their office during office hours. I have an interesting point of view just because I have one class where it's only two students and one professor so I get a lot of one on one time with the professor, increasing my understanding of the material exponentially.

Professors will know your name by the second week of class, if they don't know you already. My favorite class was a media in politics class, where we looked at real world media and how it shaped public opinion. My least favorite class was an east asian studies general education requirement. Witt students will frequently discuss course material outside of class. Professors are always there to help after class if you need it, and that usually helps me out a lot. Witt will prepare you to do anything you want, I truly believe that. (I have no idea what I want to do though!)

Professors are friendly and a great resource. They are there to talk to when needed, even if it's not about academics. I study very often, although I feel as though I study more than the average student. Class participation is expected in every class. You get out what you put in. Education is not geared toward getting a job and in my experience, this is the most difficult part about being at Witt. The career center did very little to help me, even though I have pursued their help on many occasions. Learning for it's own sake is far more important.

As a liberal arts school, you take classes from most every department. This is nice because when you come into college undecided, have potential examples helps decide. As a biology major, I am always talking to my professors making advising meetings, having them go over notes or exams with me, or having them proofread labs before I turn them in. Professors make an effort to learn your name and most of the time I pop into their office just to say hi. My microbiology professor does research with students to help gain experience for their future job.

Wittenberg has wonderful academics! I still keep up with professors I had my freshman year. I feel totally comfortable asking professors for help and have been overwhelmingly pleased with the results! Each department has something special or unique to offer it's students, and I think that really sets Witt apart from other schools. I can't lie, the general education requirements are difficult sometimes, but I have seen how they have expanded my knowledge and especially how they overlap in so many ways, and that makes it all worth it!

Here, class participation is very common and almost every class I've taken has had an attendance policy. I'm happy about that because for the amount that I pay to go here, I wouldnt' want to miss class because I was lazy or if I could just get the lecture online. I enjoy the small class sizes because I can get one-on-one attention, and professors have a lot of office hours. If their hours don't agree with your schedule, the majority of professors have no problem meeting with you at a time that works for you.

Truthfully, Witt is a hard school. To be successful you have to study and the classes are so small that you cant slack off or the teacher will find out. However, the classes are great and for the size of the school we have a ton of diversity in our programs. The professors are great too, you get to know them personally, and after graduation they are relationships that you maintain as friends. The professors are always there for the students and are always willing to help in any way they can.

Most professors know your name by the second or third week of class. They are willing to go above and beyond to ensure your success, without spoon feeding you the information. Help is available at the Writing Center, Math Workshop, Foreign Language Learning Center, Oral Communication Center, and through the Supplemental Instruction program. The general education requirements encourage students to explore many areas of study within the liberal arts education available at Wittenberg.