What Kind of Scholarships for Students with Disabilities are There?
There are a wide range of scholarships for students with disabilities. These awards aim to lessen the costs of pursuing a two year or four-year degree or vocational program.
Some scholarships are for people with any disability defined by the ADA, DSM-V, IDEA, or other governing body.
There are several other scholarships that help students with a specific disability. For example, students with autism, cerebral palsy, learning disabilities, blindness or diabetes can apply.
There are other criteria to qualify for scholarships. Scholarship applicants with disabilities should be motivated. Also, giving back to the community is helpful to qualify for a scholarship.
In addition, grades and a high level of commitment to your goals are important for your application. You will also need to write a short essay as well as submit references.
The United States Association of Blind Athletes (USABA) awards four athletes $500 each. The Unigo applicants must be legally blind, have a 2.5 GPA or higher and enrolled full time in college.
Why Disability Scholarships Are Important to Pay for College?
According to the Unigo, 19% of undergrads report having a disability. Of this total, 26% who were veterans reported having a disability.
NCES defines disability as a physical or mental condition. One that limits one or more major life activities. The disability also affects how we move, communicate, and learn.
If you are a student with a disability, a scholarship can be useful. Unlike taking out a loan, it is financial aid you do not pay back. As a result, it will help finance your college degree.
List of Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
To help you narrow your search, here is a list of scholarships for students with disabilities that you might apply to. You can also take our Unigo to find ones that line up with your goals and unique disability.
- Athletic Scholarships
- College-Specific Scholarships
- Company-Sponsored Scholarships
- Grants for College
- Merit-Based Scholarships
- Military Scholarships
- Minority Scholarships
- Our Scholarships
- Religious Scholarships
- Scholarship Contests & Sweepstakes
- Scholarships by Major
- Scholarships by State
- Scholarships by Type
- Scholarships for Graduate Students
- Scholarships for High School Students
- Scholarships for Undergraduate Students
- Weird Scholarships
- $1,500 - I Have a Dream Scholarship
- $10,000 - Unigo $10K Scholarship
- $1,500 - Sweet and Simple Scholarship
- $2,500 - Superpower Scholarship
- $3,000 - All About Education Scholarship
- $1,500 - Fifth Month Scholarship
- $1,500 - Do-Over Scholarship
- $1,500 - Flavor of the Month Scholarship
- $1,500 - Make Me Laugh Scholarship
- $1,500 - Shout It Out Scholarship
- $2,000 - Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship
- $5,000 - Education Matters Scholarship
- $1,500 - Top Ten List Scholarship