Meadville, PA
Allegheny College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Allegheny College

Kristyn

Don't be a biochem major. There are less choices in classes available to take. Also, do a double major because you really love music and biology so you might as well major in both. Also, don't be afraid to put yourself out there freshman year. People acutally do like you for who you are and the ones that don't don't matter.

the food and the weather because we are not far from lake erie so we get a lot of lake effect snow and there isnt much good variety in the food they serve here.

How awesome the faculty it is and how easy it is to get involved. for example i have had the privlege of singing to the trustees of the college at their meetings.

Silica

Do not go to college expecting to get job training. While you'll feel prepared for any career avenue you pursue after graduation, the most important thing you'll learn while an undergraduate is how to improve and use your academic skills in "real life" outside of getting a paycheck - how to enact positive change in communities, how to look at systems that we participate in every day and imagine them better, and then make that a reality. Plan for your coursework and social life to influence each other. Sure, you and your friends will get together on the weekends and have a beer now and then, but a residential college is about socializing and fostering community, it is not about kicking kegs. Your involvement in extracurriculars will push you as your coursework does, and that'll be the most fulfilling aspect of your four years here. Prepare for some big-time growth.

The integration of hard work and rigorous study combined with the necessity of giving back to the community. Tough academics are usually tied to competition between individuals rather than improvement for the sake of others and giving back. Allegheny really stressed the importance of community values.

I wish I had known more about resources available for religious students. I found them in my junior year, but would have benefited a lot if I had discovered them earlier as a freshman.

Jordan

One sentence? Come on, tha'ts not enought but I'll try! The Allegheny students I know are smart, motivated individuals looking to learn more every day, while having fun interacting with each other in activities that are new and interesting to them.

Allegheny College is best known for its educational attributes and students ability to participate in lots of activities that help students grow socially. Going there offers a number of extracurricular activities but students also know why they're there, why they chose the school and what they want out of their education. So far I've met people I wouldn't normally interact with and have gotten involved with activities that have enhanced my experience. For example I've joined a fraternity, am a leader in the Outing Club, have a radio program and am a tour guide for work.

If I could go back and speak to myself as a senior in high school the best advice I could give myself would have to be to focus more on academic preparation for college. I had fun as a senior playing football, tennis and doing track at the expense of preparing for the workload I encountered at Allegheny. I'm fortunate that my brothers preceded me at Allegheny and were able to coach me on what to expect, but I still didn't know what they meant until doing it firsthand. The first semester was difficult, but I was able to adapt and do well. The other advice would be to look more carefully for scholarship opportunities like this. I was surprised to learn the hard lessons of economics in the real world when I submitted loan applications. Now I see that upon graduation, I'll be saddled with private loans that will be difficult to pay off. I see now that to go to Allegheny I need to tell people how much I like it and work to earn my education. So the other piece of advice would be, nothing is free, you have to earn it!

Vincent

Don't be afraid to take risks or get out there and have a social life. Take course work more seriously as it is a baseline for the rest of your life. Don't give up on things you enjoy like sports (swimming).

Someone who is not going to put off the required work. Also, people who are involved in organizations or sports do very well here.

Someone who JUST wants to 100% party...you will fail out. This school has tons of fun parties but it is hard enough that you can't drink all the time as you need to get your work done.

Brian

Friendly, personable, and accomodating.

Friendly, personable, and accomodating.

Explore all of your options. Investing in the college decision making process is just as important as investing in college. There are literally thousands of options, and you have to find something that feels right to you. You'll know when you find the right place.

Finding the right college is all about YOU: your priorities, your interests and abilities, your preferences. The college search can be overwhelming, and many highschool graduates feel as if their entire future is hanging on this decision. The key here is not to let yourself feel crushed by pressure, expectations, or uncertainty. Instead, let the process of searching for the right school be fun, exciting, and gratifying: you've earned this. Choose a college that will foster what is important to you, whether it be a global perspective, a deeper religious life, readiness for the workforce, etc. Set your sights high! Even if you don't get into your top school, you might be pleasantly suprised to find that your second choice is a perfect fit. If it isn't, it's not the end of the world--you can always transfer. Once you get to school, keep an open mind. College is all about broadening your experiences and your way of thinking. Try taking a class you wouldn't normally have considered: you might be surprised at what you learn--or you could even unleash a hidden passion. Remember: the pressure's off, and it's all about you.

I wish I had known that Meadville, Pennsylvania is in the top ten snowiest cities in the United States. It is a bit secluded, and the long winter seems to take a toll on the students sometimes, especially because getting where you need to be on campus involves a lot of walking. I wish I had been prepared to brave the winter weather on a daily basis; this coming semester I am definitely going to bring all kinds of cold-weather gear.

A valuable student is someone who is driven, willing to take on a somewhat hefty academic workload, and most importantly someone who is willing to open his or her mind to new ways of thinking about the world. If you have many competing academic and personal interests (like an aspiring physics major who is also a budding artist, for example), then Allegheny is right for you. Their focus is on nurturing individual student's diverse interests by requring a major AND a minor in two different academic fields.

Anne

It is incredibly important to not get blinded by the myth of the ?dream school? and to keep your options open. When I didn?t get into my dream schools? there were six - I had to scramble to apply to other universities. There will be a perfect school for you, but it probably won?t be the one you pinned all your hopes on because as a high school senior, you can only know so much about yourself. It is also a good idea to map out a schedule that sets personal deadlines for both the student and the parents ? this will prevent panicking. Take advantage of the common application, and if it doesn?t cost extra, why not throw a few extra colleges on your application list? Not only is it a good self esteem boost to get accepted into multiple schools, but it also helps when you negotiate for financial aid. Finally, students, please don?t complain to your parents too much. It will all be over before you know it, and it will feel better to be on top of things than to turn in a sloppy essay at the last minute.

I love Allegheny because it is a school of unusual combinations. Students who invest a lot of time into the rigorous course load succeed academically, but the over-achieving student body also manages to have a vibrant social life. I joined a sorority this year and instantly became part of the Greek Community, which has a strong relationship with the rest of the student body. There is no discrimination against anyone ? especially not between Greeks and Independents. We?re just a bunch of hard-working students stuck up in the snow.

When I tell my friends about Allegheny, I brag about my professors. My favorite professor took me and seventeen other students to England to study theatre last summer, and while we were there, we discovered that he is one of the most renowned professors in his field (all the academics in England knew him). Other professors loan me their personal books and have invited me to dinner at their homes. I have personal relationships with many of my professors because they are accessible and clearly care about their students. Not everyone can say that.

Studious, detemined and hopeful!

Studious, detemined and hopeful!

Finding the right college is a hard decision and should not be made hastily. Be sure to visit every place you look into! Even if you apply, get accepted and get a scholarship, college is about your happiness; it is someplace that you will be spending approximately four years of your life at. You want to be someplace where you will be happy and have the ability to grow as a person and even if you pay little-to-nothing to attend, if you do not like it, odds are you will not stay. So really take time, ask questions and get to know your schools before you commit. While at school, make sure to get involved! Participate in various activities! If you do not see a club you like, create your own organization! Try and go to various events on campus, attend lectures and get involved! Do not be afraid to see your professors and ask questions if you need help. Especially for post-undergrad, visit your Career Center on campus. Do not wait to be great! Start on your resume as soon as possible and look for internships. Do what you need to excel no matter what!

Meadville is not a bad place to live, but a lot of the things are not easily accessible. The mall and the movies are far without a car and that bus transporation system does not go to any of these places. It is hard to go out to eat anywhere off-campus.

In order to find the right college you really need to visit the different places and see what college just feels right. Take advantage of overnight visits and sitting in on classes because that is the only way you will be able to get a real feel for the school. In order to make the most of the college experience you need to do things that make you feel uncomfortable and take chances because it is usually those things that are most rewarding in the end. Step outside your comfort zone, befriend people you might not normally befriend, go to programs and events offered by the school that you might not normally go to. You might discover things you never knew you liked all because you took a chance. Also, you need to get involved in something whether it be a club, a sport or a sorority/fraternity. Not only do they create great memories but you can make some great friends and it will help you to gain real life experience working with others. Most of all, don't stress out and try to have fun while still doing your work.

I wish I would have known what major I wanted so I would have been able to complete it faster. I also wish I would have known how much snow the school got.

Someone who is dedicated to their school work. Someone who doesn't mind living in a small town and is okay with a lot of snow. Someone who is okay with knowing everyone at the school and people knowing your business. Someone who has an imagination and can make their own fun because the town is small.

I would make sure to visit. Even though Allegheny is far from me (I live in Colorado), I loved the atmosphere and the faculty there. Be sure to apply and make sure you do not have your mind set on one school. Checking out the Newsweek College Edition really helped me rank my schools and find out more information about each one. When at school, really try and get involved and not just socialize! I met some of my greatest friends from activities and if a club doesn't exist, you should start one! Be sure to start working on your resume early and always look for opportunities to do something in the summer.

The worst thing is possibly the location. Allegheny College is located in Meadville and if you are from a city, it is hard to get to places like the mall and the movies. The airport is also almost two hours away. The city does not have a strong bus system so transporation to and from places especially if your home is far from PA can be difficult to find.

Students who are interested in being pre-med would do great at this school. The classwork is definitely tough so only people who are really serious should go, but also those who are interested in being well-balanced in life.

Allegheny College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.