Meadville, PA
Allegheny College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Allegheny College

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Aleaa

Allegheny judges you as a person more than the grades you carry with you.

Allegheny judges you as a person more than the grades you carry with you.

My classmates are friends you'd want close with you through your studying endeavours and social life.

Although mom means well and tries to direct you in a path that may seem best for you at that moment, choose your strengths and your interests when looking at prospective colleges. Nervousness is a driving force during your applications. Don't let it control you. You've made it this far and you have exactly what it takes to go further. College is a challenge in so many ways and I want you to enjoy it, you'll only experience it once. You will enjoy it. Thank mom again, make this easier for her. You're doing just fine.

Allegheny College is a liberal arts school that provides a quality education.

Allegheny College is a liberal arts school that provides a quality education.

Apply yourself and work hard in class, but even more importantly discover who you are. Take the time to learn what you are passionate about so that you can apply that to your career choice. As you are preparing and completing college, make a specific plan for what you will do next and how the degree will help you get there. Some sample questions to ask would be as follows. What do you want to do for the rest of your life? Will you need further schooling to do that? Are you financially prepared for the amount of school you need? What are your long and short-term goals, and how will you get there? Will you still feel the same in 10-15 years? How will your current decisions effect your future family? Think hard before choosing your major and subsequent career path. Know what you are going to do with your degree before you graduate.

I do not believe that I received proper career counseling in college.

Raevaan

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would advise him to begin studying more and not be afraid to ask questions. In high school I was academically gifted and didn't have to study very hard for good grades. In college I thought it would be the same way, but it wasn't and my pride sometimes holds me back from asking questions. I would also tell myself to be ready to start from square one. Going from a senior back to a freshman is a difficult transition in itself. You go from being established to being back at the bottom of the food chain. It's a difficult transition, but manageable if you are prepared to encounter it.

The best thing at Allegheny is all of the easy access to the facilities like the library, the campus center, and the wise center. The facilities provide anything you need collectively and stay open late for night-owls like myself.

A person content with small town living or people who don't like large crowds of people.

Sachika

My classmates are intelligent, friendly, hard working, and passionate.

My classmates are intelligent, friendly, hard working, and passionate.

Dear high school Sachika, I know that you are more than excited to move out of Albany and to start a new life in college, but do not neglect the beautiful Bay Area scenery, awesome restaurants, the diverse culture, and the priviledge to have a car to drive. You may not realize this now, but once you move all the way across the country, you will miss them greatly throughout the school year. The first year, especially the first semester, will be stressful and you may experience some difficulties transitioning into the new culture away from friends and family, but do not fret. You will eventually develop a close group of friends, and you should look forward to many random adventures around town. Meadville may seem too small and boring at first glance, but give it a chance and you will come to appreciate its little perks over time. I can assure you that college is a whole new chapter in your life filled with amazing individuals, fresh experiences, and unexpected fortunes; make the most of it. Sincerely, Sachika

I wish to have known that although the school and town seem too small at first, they grow on you over time. You begin to find little treasures here and there and develop a close group of friends. The professors are very friendly and there to help, and all the students who you walk by smile at you. One thing to remember is to take advantage of all the opportunities here because before you know it, the four years zooms by.

Romulus

In his famous hit, "Against the Wind," the great Bob Segar says, "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then," in regards to one of his lovers from his past. However, in regards to my senior year of highschool and the anxiety of the inevitable transition from boy to man, I do wish I knew then what I know now. If I could go back and advise myself during the waning days of my senior year, my message would be swift and sure: "Patience my friend, patience." I see it everyday, seniors on the verge of their first year of college. What they all seem to do is get in this big rush and hurry to get to college and all they say is, "Man I need to get out of here," and "Can't wait for college already." I too was guilty. But I've learned that I must be patient. I must take in each day, and with it each breath. For too simply can I overlook the emotions, the miracles, and the tragedies that make each day. Yep, that's what I would tell the senior Romulus Marino.

I wish I would have known the copious amount of papers, essays, and math problems that were soon to be in front of me!

The person this school attracts is the person who values tight-knit, wholesome relationships with other people; the homely man or woman who sees life through the scope of friendship and networking. Greater is the accruement of lasting relationships than the accruement of pedantry.

Lynnae

If I was able to go back in time, I would sit myself down with a pen and sheet of paper and say "Pay attention and take notes!” Don’t be scared about going to a college away from home. All of your family and friends are just a 2 hour drive, a phone call away and you will meet so many new people at college. School is your first priority, so do not get overwhelmed with the parties, working or joining clubs. Believe me; you will have time to have fun later when all your school work is done. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT wait until the last minute to do any type of homework. This includes essays, reading packets, group projects and even studying. High school is completely different from college. Sometimes your efforts do not always equal your success, therefore you have to work extra hard to ensure that you will receive a good grade. Also, remember to always go to class and be on time. Being lazy is only going to make things 10 times harder for yourself. Lastly, build connections with all of your professors and advisors; they are there to help you!

I love my school, but if there was one thing I would want to change it would be the lack of diversity on campus.

When I talk about my school to my friends, I brag most about our "unusal combinations". There are no general education classes that all students have to take. You can go right into the classes that you need to fulfill your major or if you are undecided, you are able to take any class you want. Also all of the majors are sepearted into 3 different cateogories and the one rule is that your major and minor have to be in different categories. This helps make each student more well rounded and special.

william

"Self", I would say. "Study hard now while you are young, time for fun will always be ahead." "Stay away from the drugs and the parties for they have ruined your life, now is your time to become what you have never been." "Work hard, play hard, but study even harder, life is yours for the taking, be aware and do not let it take you."

My school is small but community focused. There are many students that love to do community service. School spirit is there but our sports teams suck. We like that there are many things to do within the campus, but the outside o the campus is horrible. Meadville is a dead city. To get anywhere you need a car. Learning here is hard. You need to give it one hundred percent in order to pass. The career office is not doing their job right in providing students with internships. The weather is beautiful in the fall, but scary in the winter.

Coming from a city full of Mexicans like Santa Ana to a small town in Meadville full of Caucasians, was somewhat daunting. At the moment, I was glad that four other people came with me from California. But now looking back at it, I wish I had gone through it alone. I stuck to my old friends and it wasn’t until the end of first year when I broke out and talked to other people. It was nice to move somewhere that has different customs and attitudes. Many were extremely nice. You wouldn’t know a student walking in front of you, but they would wave at you and say hi! If I were to do this experience all over again, I would be more free. Make friends with people who you get along with, talk to strangers in class, be happy with what you have. Allegheny is a school where everyone is on the same page; you curse the day you chose Allegheny. We get stuck in this pessimism circle instead of appreciating the fact that we are getting an education and that this school goes to great lengths to keep us happy and keep us entertained.

A person who gets along with others. One that likes community service and loves to read books. They should be expecting to get C's and B's because A's are hard to come by here. Join as many clubs as you can, all trips that they take are free. One that wants to be an active member in the community and in the school. If you love attending, planning social activities, this is the school for you. If you love the warmth, go to Florida or South. If you like winter sports then this can be your school.

E

I would tell my high school self that college is both easier and harder than you think. To start with the good news, my high school education did a good job of preparing me academically for college. I found, for instance, that I came to college prepared to write a decent essay on a short night's rest, a skill which has served me well. I would tell my younger self to trust in my abilities, which have gotten me far already -- no minor accomplishment -- and which can be relied upon in the years to come. On the other hand, I could not have guessed at the time that college would be so much more intense than high school. I didn't expect to be writing those late-night essays with such frequency! When going back in time, I would advise myself to maintain my focus when the going gets tough and remember why I enrolled in college in the first place. I am here to learn, and I am here thanks to countless teachers, friends, and family members who have nurtured my intelligence. I owe it to them and to myself to make the most of my college experience.

A person who's looking for a fast-paced metropolitan environment or a large, bustling campus shouldn't attend this school.

I love the research I do in the biology department and I think the faculty and facilities in the department are great.

Nancy

Think of the decisions you make during your freshmen year!

Think of the decisions you make during your freshmen year!

I wish I had known of the weather during winter.

I don't like the lack of stores that are available near campus.

Allegheny College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.