Meadville, PA
Allegheny College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Allegheny College

Heidi

Not to be stereotypical, but our "unusual combinations." Although my major is not a particularly popular major, there are many students who are minors in the field that are very active in both natural sciences or social sciences, as well as the arts and humanities. A typical circle of friends, or even aquaintences, includes people from many different academic backgrounds with very different future plans.

Don't be afraid to follow your dreams. You have been told many things, about who you should be, what you should do, what you should believe. I'm not saying to throw all of that out; instead, take it in perspective. These people give you advice from what they have experienced and what they have seen, but no one can tell you what is truly in your head or your heart except yourself. Manipulating your choices according to someone else's plan may seem simple at first, but ultimately you will not be satisfied with what your life has become. It may cause tension and strained or even broken relationships; not everything will work out the way you thought or hoped, but you can and will get through. There will be people who will support you no matter what road you eventually choose, or the paths you take to get there. And the result will be a life that surpasses what you ever thought was possible.

The people I've met, including faculty, staff, and other students. Overall, people are willing to help each other and work together. Most of my professors have been fantastic, and I enjoy being able to go to them with any problems I might be having. The community is definitely supportive, as long as you are an active supporting member as well.

Cady

Very attentive, small class sizes, and great students and professors.

Very attentive, small class sizes, and great students and professors.

I would give myself a lot of advice. First, high school is very important and you need to stay on track. Having good grades and doing things for the school come in handy. Colleges look at your GPA. Good grades allow for a high GPA. Second, All those honors classes you took throughout high school are great. They really prepare you for whats ahead. Teachers push you to get a feeling for the college life. College is great and you will love it. You will make plenty of friends and have a lot of on-campus activities to join. Just make sure to be prepared for essays! Its professors number one assignment to give to their students.

A person who does not like small class sizes and personal attention from the professors. This is a liberal arts college so they teach you to have an all around education.

Adrienne

The college process was one of the most terrifying and stressfull periods of my life thus far. I personally made a lot of mistakes and would love to go back to that time with the knowledge I have to re-do everything. My first mistake as an applicant was believing all the hype of college applications, becoming obsessed with the process, and giving into the uneccesary stress. I should have stuck to the mantra, you will get into a college and you will be happy. Also, I should have eliminated some of the excess extracarriculars I packed into my first semester which were incredibly distracting and forced my focus on entrance essays to come in second. I should have also made sure that I would be happy at each school that I applied to. I didn't. Instead, I just chose a few random safties that I hated "just in case." I would have forced myself to start the process at the beginning of my Junior year rather than mid-way through it. Lastly, I would have told myself to be a bit more open-minded, becuase even very unattractive schools can have hidden pleasant surprises.

Allegheny is an incredible school for students who worked hard in high school and are ready to continue working hard while in pursuit of a higher degree. Allegheny is especially great for students who are unsure of what they want to major in. As a liberal arts school with a unique curriculum, students are given the oppurtunity to take a wide variety of classes to decide which classes they are interested in and which ones they are less interested in. Students at Allegheny should also be willing to try new things and to become very involved in the school community.

Students who do not have a sense of humor or a sense of adventure should avoid Allegheny all together. People who just want to party hard, join a frat, and coast their way to a degree should also not come to Allegheny. Most of all people who don't have a wide variety of interests or the "unusual combinations" that the school prides their students in having should not even think about applying.

My advice that I would give myself would be to study as much as you possibly could for chemistry and math because those are very difficult classes. Continuing on the school subject, I would tell myself to get a tutor before classes start even if you dont need one, just in case. I would also tell myself to try to get connected with volunteering and christian organizations. These are some programs that you could put on medical school applications, and you could be giving to the community, meeting great poeple as a result of a giving attitude. Speaking of attitudes, keep a positive one. Tell yourself you can even when others around you say the opposite. Believe that you can overcome anything as long as you are doing it to better yourself. In addition to those few things, knowing myself the way I do, do not get more involved in a social life than in your studies. You are there for and education, and you can not get your Ph.D. in popularity even though you would if it was a major. Study hard and keep your eye on the prize!

The worst thing about Allegheny would probably be the winters. It can be very cold and snowy. There is lake effect snow sometimes so bundling up is a must. Another thing i dislike about the school is that I wish there were pottery wheels in the art department because as a studio art minor it would really help out in the ceramics courses and it is one of my stron points when working with clay.

Alycia

Alycia, Allegheny was the perfect fit for you. There was no reason to be nervous about making friends and having things to do. As long as you study you will do perfectly. Beware of college guys! Even though you thought you wanted a boyfriend in college, you don't want one anymore. You will find they do not have relationships in mind and tend to only look for a good time. Focus on your goals, and the rest will come later. Remeber to join clubs too. They are perfect ways to meet new people with the same interests and provide a way to take a break. Money is tough. You need to be able to push yourself in order to find a job on campus. They are tough to recieve, and only come by constantly emailing, talking to, and calling the college for a job. Mainly, keep in touch with the friends and family back home. You will get distracted by college life, but it is always good to check in and see how eveyone is doing. They care about you and I know you care about them so don't forget to show it! study hard Alycia

Someone who studies hard, but still loves to have a great time socially would be fit in perfectly at Allegheny. Then if a student wishes to know professors and even the President, that is possible. The people at Allegheny have high goals and study, so a student wishing to attend graduate school should defenityly consider this school, for it has incredible acceptance rates into graduate schools.

Allegheny college has a reputation of being academically challengiing for students and in its own little world. A student who likes to go out in the city everynight would not be happy at Allegheny. Then if a prospective student does not like to study, beware. There is tons of snow, so a person who can not bear the cold would not be a good fit.

You have to be smart or rich to be accepted and the students act like it.

You have to be smart or rich to be accepted and the students act like it.

A rigorous academic school.

Don't assume that going to your dream school will make everything OK. Having friends and people you know from before college around you is much more important than you think. Talk to your roommate before you get to college about the important things, like how and where they like to study. Having the wrong roommate can totally ruin your college experience, to the point that nothing seems to go right.

Being one of the top liberal arts schools of the decade. It's growing in popularity very fast because of the amazing academics and almost perfect size. It's diverse, friendly, environmentally safe, and a fun place to be while still being extremely focused on schoolwork.

That the preperation in high school is nowhere near what it needs to be in order to really succeed in college. Academics are such a focus at Allegheny. Not only is it just challenging, but it's challenging in a way that I wouldn't want to be anywhere else because I know they're doinig their job as educators. Becoming acclimated with such a big workload is the transition that was hardest for me. After a rough patch in my freshman year I have grown up so much and Allegheny has shown me how to be a responsible adult. I never expected it to happen so fast but I am so thankful. I look at kids in high school now and think what babies they seem compared to me now. When they ask how school is all I tell them is, "It's so HARD!". It may seem wrong but I kind of want to scare them into being more prepared than I was. They'll realize it one day, yet I believe Allegheny is one of the best places for a college education and in a way hardest so some of them might not have it as bad.

The academics. I know that it is hard but so do a lot of the people who will see it on your application later. Grad schools are impressed by Allegheny undergraduates and I know that I will do well when I graduate.

Diverse, energized, committed.

Diverse, energized, committed.

Dear past self, please do not go home every weekend. I know you miss your dog, but you will be missing out on amazing things, such as the Outing Clubs trips, and the Quidditch team (no, seriously, by the time you get to Allegheny, they will have a Quidditch team, I know that makes it so much more awesome), and you will miss out on making so many new friends, and you will miss lectures by amazing people, and you will miss half of the college experience. You will become aclimated to school so much faster if you simply realize that your dog will be okay without you, and this comes from experience, you will be okay without your dog (and cats, actually.) Please, stay on the weekends, go to the campus center, sign up for activities, go to the guest speakers, go to the late night events at the campus center (they will have a pottery night!) and get involved. You will be too busy having fun to realize that it is suddenly December and then you can go home and see the dog. Until then, do something.

Kristen

Dear Kristen, You are about to take a very important step. Are you ready? I know you're excited, college will be your chance to show who you really are, to step outside of the norm and do something different. You will be able to learn new things you never dreamed about before and critique those things that you already think you know everything about. You will make new friends and learn new trends. You will stay up all night partying and sleep all night because you are worn out from classes. You will meet new people, good and bad, and some of them will stick with you forever. College is the best time of your life, you can be an adult, yet you can still hold on to that "I'm a student and still need guidance" mentality where the Professors will look out for you. Just remember one thing: don't change who you are. I know it's hard, college is such an influential time in your life. But when all is said and done, you are still Kristen, and I think I can speak for you when I say, "Kristen is someone worth being."

The best thing about Allegheny is that they listen to the student's needs and do all that is possible to make sure that they can get what they want out of their college experience. I'm self designing my major, something that's not neccessarily easy, but the faculty and my advisors have gone above and beyond to help me through the process and make sure that I'm successful.

Before coming to Allegheny I wasn't really sure what I wanted to study. Now that I know, I realize that because it is such a small school, Allegheny doesn't offer some of the courses that I really want to take. Make sure to fully research your interests, both academic and extracurricular.

Katie

I would tell myself not to worry. I know now that things happen for a reason, and even those darkest moments are there so that I can better appreciate the good days. I would tell myself to be forgiving, but don't be afraid to walk away from people who will bring you down. Don't worry about that boy, he's not worth the pain and hassle. Ask questions everywhere - you never know what you will learn. It's okay to lose some sleep to help a friend, or finish that assingment, but you'll feel so much better if you get a full night in. Turn off the TV! There's better stuff happening just outside the window. Don't be afraid to take chances; the worst case scenario is that you need a friend to catch you. Take your vitamins- they do help. Don't worry about other peoples' perceptions - you know you're doing things for the right reason. Smile everyday, even when you don't feel like it. And lastly, I'd tell my younger self to call my Mom!

How cold the winters are! Actually, I wish I would have been more aware how difficult it can be to have a healthy diet on campus. Although Allegheny drastically improved the sustainability and general health benefits of their cafeterias while I was there, I was still a victim of the "Freshmen 15".

The potential to do absolutely anything. I studied abroad, worked on campus, joing organizations and helped run clubs. Allegheny College can help you realize your full potential, and then support you as you strive to fulfill it.

Allegheny College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.