Averett University

« See more reviews of Averett University

One piece of advice I would give myself is to stay focused because alot of time students can get caught up on the things that happen outside of the classrooms; losing focus can result in bad grades or failing a course. Another thing is to avoid peer pressure. Students are always put in a situation where their morals and vales can be tested and they need to take into consideration the purpose they attended college and not let people in their surroundings have a bad influence on them. A student also needs make sure they know the standards of scholarships that they receive because a lot of times you scholarships depends on you GPA and there they should to keep in good standing so they wont lose a schololarship. The last thing i would suggest to anyone is to strive for the best. College can be stressful and if students continue to strive for the best their futures will be bright. Its good to have a life goal because then whenever they feel the need to question themselves about the purpose of continuing college they can look ahead ans see that what they do affects their entire life.

There are many things i would tell myself in high school if I could go back in time. I would advise myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible, regardless of how long some might be. I would also advise myself to come up with some sort of organization system that would help me keep everything in order and to manage my finances wisely. In addition to this, I would also tell myself to avoid falling into a habit of procrastinating on small and important things from doing homewrok for the next day to studying for midterms. I would also stress to myself the importance of helping others and giving back to the community. I would tell myself to participate in organizations such as Habitat for Humanity and Phi Theta Kappa. The last thing I would tell myself is to believe in myself and to not be intimidated by anything that I would face because it is something to be enjoyed not feared. Once I had imparted all that I had learned through my experiences as a college student I would hope that my younger self would heed my suggestions and improve the already wonderful present time period.

First and foremost, nice choice in Averett; there are so many different people here from all over the world and nation. Don't worry that their accents are a little difficult to understand, just listen closely and don't be afraid to ask them to repeat it a billion times. Next, make sure you take a full credit load, preferrably 15 or 16 credit hours a semester. Also, if you really want to go to medical school...do it! However, double-check the application requirements for the medical schools you want to attend and make sure you have all the requirements to apply, you may have to double major in athletic training and biomedical science to prepare for specializing in sports medicine. Ohh, if you can take Physics and AP Calculus, you definitely should; it's so easy to transfer credits in from high school. Sometimes it'll be stressful and the tuition is pretty expensive but hold on, it gets better. You are going to break your family's cycle and obtain a bachelor's degree, you can do it! Most importantly, take a deep breath and go for a run every now and then.

College choice is essential to the happiness of each college student. When picking the most fitting college, remember to pick a college that best reflects the person in attendance. Make sure that you are comfortable with the location, the diverse backgrounds, size, and course qualifications. For me, one of the more important qualifications for choosing my college was location. The University I currently attend is only two hourse from home. Also, the school is located in a reserved community away from heavy traffic. It's located near many attractions (at most 45 minutes away), and located near essential stores such as Wal-mart and Food-Lion. Location is very important. Another thing that caught my attention was the size of the University. It was small, yet the perfect size for me. The student-teacher ration was exceptional, which allows for more one-on-one time for students and teachers. For me, these were the most important qualities at college. The best advice I can give is to make sure that you will be comfortable where you choose.

As far as making your college decision, consider all the factors: Do i like it?, Am i comfortable here? , Is it affordable for me and my family?, Can I see myslef being successful?, Do they offer my major, and what can I do about sports ( if you're an athlete). Make sure to take advantage of all the things that the university will make available to you. Take the campus tours, official visits, and orientations that the school may offer, and be sure to update all information necessary in order to fully receive all financial aid possible. Making the most of your college experience is entirely up to you the student. You dont want to spend your four years sitting around and then notice that they are gone just as soon as they came. Be active, make friends, be visible, and join a club. What ever it takes, dont leave the college or university you attend with the "woulda shoulda coulda's," you know? No regrets, you only live once, and make the most of your four years, and live life everyday.

Well I have became more mature and independant towrds my self. College has turned me from a boy into a man of responsibilites and has showed me that life is what you make of it. People are givin chances every day here, some take them and some just let them pass by. College has been very valuable to me. It turned me in the rite direction when I was trying to go in the wrong direction. It will also make you cherish your parentes a little bit more than you did when you were in high school too. You become an adult while you are in college because you go through fazes where you have to make adult decisions. You also have to be care full of what decisions you make, because one bad decision can mess up your whole entire life. I always try to look at other peoples mistakes and remeber the price they had to pay before i go ahead and make a mistake of my own. This college stuff makes you very aware of things you would have just let in high school go through one ear and come out the other.

My advice to parents and/or students would be to make sure to find and select schools that best fits you?re their criteria. Financially stability for school is one of the main considerations I find important. Parents and students can use me for example; I am financially struggling at my school. My school is expensive and the college tuition is going up every year. Since this is happening all of my paper work is delayed and I am short $975 that has to be paid as soon as possible. Knowing that this is backed up I may have to withdraw from my up coming semester which would delay me of building up my GPA. Also not to mention I will not graduate on time. If I was to get accepted to schools in my state New Jersey, I would have attended there. Since my current school is in Virginia I can not get state aid which help pay for my tuition. So therefore attend college in your state would be great because then you will get state aid and your tuition will be much cheaper.

Currently as a college sophomore, I would love to redo my freshman year of college. There are quite a few things I'd do differenty but with the amount of things I'd change would exceed the maximum words limit. I would tell myself to get help when I first started struggling with classes. In high school, I took Advance Placement courses which through me into my major as soon as I began college. My first semester at Averett I struggled with Math and Chemistry because I hadn't taken any Math or chemistry courses since my junior year of high school. I kept telling myself that I didn't need the help just yet and I'd do better on my next quiz if I studied harder, but I continued to push back getting help. Looking back now, I realize that my GPA would be a lot better had I went and asked for helpl when I first began struggling. Although I can't go back and change it now, all I can do is move forward and begin to get help as soon as I realize I don't understand the material.

I have gained valuable memories that I would not trade for the world. In four years, I have accomplished so many things-- participating on a championship volleyball team, travelling to Europe and Costa Rica, and forming and participating in various campus activities. Many amazing individuals have found their way into my life and the friendships that I have formed will last a lifetime. Most importantly, though, Averett provided me with a thorough knowledge of the biomedical sciences which has enabled me to be accepted to a Master's program that begins September 2010. My goal in life is to become a doctor and my undergraduate experience successfully began the path towards my dream. Because Averett is a Liberal Arts College, I not only I gained the knowledge to fulfill the neccessary requirements for Medical School while in attendance, but I was given the chance to learn about a variety of topics that I otherwise may not have found interesting.

As an adult student now, I would definitely advise myself to consider my career choice carefully, then choose a college that will best prepare me to be successful in that field. I would then give the advice to stay the course to complete the degree regardless of what life brings your way. The transition from high school to college life is much easier than high school to employee life without a college degree or that of employee to adult college student. I would also advise myself to seek the support and advice of well respected, successful people in my chosen career field to mentor me and keep me disciplined in my studies. Finally, the best advice I can to myself and others give is not to be afraid to dream and then to follow that dream. Focus on your goals and dreams and do not allow distractions to take you off your chosen path