California State University-Sacramento

« See more reviews of California State University-Sacramento

I hate that CSUS is a commuter campus. Students come from around the state to go to CSUS, but don't live in Sacramento. There is little sense of community or belonging there. There is no school spirit or school community around the campus. The school sports are unpopular with the general student population because everyone takes there classes, studies, and minds there own business. Many students will not make any friends from their classes because they have no desire to be socially involved/committed to the university. Students graduate without a sense of pride of their university.

Sacramento State has an ineffective approach for marketing events and resources to their diverse student body. With more than 30,000 students at my school, it is easy to get lost in the maze of college perplexities. As I try to get more involved on campus I find it difficult to join clubs and organizations and attend scheduled events on campus that will benefit and contribute to my overall college expereince. Sacramento State is considered a commuter school. I constantly hear their struggles of exploring events too, I pondered, I dorm and struggle to find events how do they cope?

The student population at CSUS is so large, that it makes it difficult to meet new friends. Upon graduating from high school, I had this image of myself meeting a new group of friends that I would go out with on the weekends and spend significant amounts of time with outside of the classroom. To make friends at my school, it is critical to get involved in extracurricular activities. Otherwise, most of the people you meet will merely be temporary class study buddies for that particular semester and the next semester you will likely never see them again.

The worst thing about my university is the recent tuition increases. I worked hard during my senior year to save money for tuition. I graduated as the valedictorian with a 4.3 GPA and did receive a large academic scholarship. I selected a university near my employment so I could continue to work as my parents had catastrophic medical needs and could not help me with tuition. However, the month I started college (Aug. 2009) my college tuition increased by 38%. I needed to come up with an additional $2,100. This wiped out my savings.

This is hard to say without offending anyone. However, some teachers teaching styles and personalities can frustrate and effect your attitude in that class. Some teachers are too proud and it seems that the papers and discussions have to be toward their interest, not your own opinion. Other teachers are knowledgeable in their subject but their teaching style is not effective. Teachers have the power to instill knowledge, passion and wisdom. They are the ones we look up to, therefore, they must be knowledgable, wise and encouraging.

I would say the worst thing about Sac State is its administration. You have to jump through hoops to get the simplest things done, like transferring community college classes over to your transcript. I had a tricky time with the Financial Aid department especially. They asked me for a number of forms, which I filled out and handed over in good time. They then claimed that they did not have everything they needed, put a hold on my record, and asked me to resubmit the forms. I stood firm though, and they took away my hold.

The worst thing about this school is the fact that it is a commuter school. Although there are many clubs and fraternities/sororities offered, many students here just go to school and go home or to work. The school has made some changes to address the problem like adding a recreation facility. As well as that, there are many events held at the school to encourage students to plan their days around coming to a show at Sac State. However, there are still many students who do not engage in getting involved in this school.

The worst think about my school is Financial Aid. Not only they charge you a lot for tuition and registration fees, they ofently don't manage the student's money well. My friend had her classes dropped because her financial aid didn't come in time and she couldn't pay for her classes. Also the people who work there doesn't really seem to care or trying to help the student when the financial aid made a mistake. I think if the financial aid has better management to the student's money, the school will be better.

What I consider worst about my school is our financial aid office. This past semester I experienced the biggest scare of my life. I thought I wouldn't be receiving my financial aid in time for the semester to be paid off. That day I walked into the office there was a long wait. Once I approached the front and was attended the receptionist was no help when she told me my aid would not come in on time and that the only thing I could do was switch to the installment plan and I was left feeling helpless.

The worst part about CSU Sacramento was the commuters and lack of parking to accomodate for this demographic of students. Due to the high population of commuter students, there was insufficient parking and little sense of community among the students. This was challenging for all students that did not live on-campus or close to campus. I was living in Sacramento at the time but still had about 45 minutes to commute due to congested traffic and lack of affordable off-campus housing close to the school.