California State University-Sacramento

« See more reviews of California State University-Sacramento

Receiving two associates degrees prior to transferring to a university, I now realize pursuing my degrees is not only a process of developing skills and knowledge but developing the character I aspire to be. I was filled with uncertainty while choosing a major to devote myself, but after taking the next leap towards my education I know my feelings of reluctance were normal. Perseverance of pushing through uncertainty helped me build strength and a sense of accomplishment. I wish I would have known that apprehension of a new life and new campus is only the threshold of a fresh opportunity.

Honestly, I did not expect the math professors to be so exceedingly knowledgeable and intelligent here at Sac State. I wish I knew it in advance. If you happen to pursue a math or science major, you will definitely enjoy your class sessions and the interaction with your professors because they are also very helpful and certainly lively people. It is incredible how much passion and joy they have towards the subjects they teach. I think that we, students, somehow gain this passion towards math too and get more excited even when taking the tests or just studying.

Sacramento State is one of the largest state universities in California with over 23,000 students. It would have been helpful to be forewarned of the school’s large population especially if a student is not familiar with such a large campus. During the first three weeks of school, most if not all the clubs and organizations are in the quad area to advertise to the students. For a freshman attending the school, it caused me to be disorientated as to where I even was on campus because of all the hype and activity from the booths and tables.

Before school, I wish I had known how to select the classes I would need even with an undeclared major. It was so hard to register for classes, not knowing what you are interested in and what you want to be in the future. The best opinion that the representitive of Sacramento State University can supply was to take general education courses that relate to some of my interests. I am a person who have to experience first before I can decide what my major really is. Registering for classes is hard but experience can make a difference.

All the scholarships available and employment opportunities at the school. I also wish I had contacted the soccer team coach prior to trying out for the team and becoming a "walk-on" athlete. To my current knowledge, there are many benefits to being an employee of the University that would have been helpful financial assistance. In retrospect, finding funding prior to attending school would have been the best route, as being a full-time student and part-time employee was very challenging and limited my potential in earning a high GPA.

There are some things that I wish I had known before I came to Sacramento State. I wish that I had gathered techniques to make new friends such as leaving my door open in the dorm room during the first week in order to make new friends. I would also have invested my time looking into local businesses that were offering internships so I could have applied early and create a relationship with local businesses. I would learn skills in networking. I would also join more than one club, especially one regarding my major.

Before coming to my school I wish i had known the extent to how college would differ from school. Knowing the amount of reading I would have to do or the hours I would be spending studying would have helped me significantly. My study habbits in highschool did not work in college. I had to begin studying at least 2 or 3 weeks in advance for mid terms and finals. Unfortunately, I had to learn that through trial and error. Had I known how much exams weigh into our grade I would have prepared self alot better.

Surprisingly, before I chose to attend Sacramento State, I had not even vistied it. All I knew was that my friend said the campus was amazing and they had a great physical therapy program. I was one of the lucky people; I ended up really enjoying myself during the first semester of college. I actually have gotten very involved in the last semester; I'm in Residence Hall Association and I am a member of Sigma Kappa. I wish I had known that there were not Sorority and Fraternity Houses at the school.

I wish I had known more about American collge system before I came this collge, for I am a Japanese, so I did not know anything about it. Therefore, I've chose classes unwisely, dropped some classes without knowing the consequenses of those actions. Also, I did not know about financila aid or scholarship. Moreover, I did not konw how expensive text books were. Now that I know about all of that, I could tell that my college life would have been different if I knew them before I came to this college.

I had wish that i had kown more about finding and applying for scholoarships. My last semester I just took out a loan that barely covered my tuition fees. The last semseter I had to struggle financailly along with my classes. So my advice is apply for scholarships early and often. There is some work into finding scholarships but if you can't do this little work then how can you expect to excel in your career when you gradaute. It is much better to graduate debt free than debt ridden.