Capital University

« See more reviews of Capital University

I would advised the students to really think about what they want to get out of their college career. The parents i advised them to stay involve with their son or daughters school life. Just because you child has moved on to college does not mean you should stay out of their lives. A little parent gudiance and advise is needed sometimes to get through so tough situations. Also, keep a good look out for scholarships and grants, loans are good but its money you have to pay back. Also check and see if the school offers free tutoring for students, and if smaller classrooms are available for those who want to feel more comfortable. Students try and get fully involved with different activities on and off campus, you'll make alot of new friends and will feel less afraid beingin a new environment. Balance your study and lesiure time well. Also get in to the habit of having a planner with you beacause you want to stay organized and ready for everything that you have commited yourself to with its homework or volunteer work. Students can also look in to having a campus job, very convient to have one.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to stay focus, watch the company I keep and prepare ahead. As a high school senior it is really easy to get off focus with all of the senior activties and other outlets. When partcipating in these activities it is easy to neglect school work or slack off. By doing this your grades suffer affecting the amount of scholarships; less scholarships create more stress and headache your freshman year in college which takes away from your ability to focus and be succesful. Furthermore, I would warn myself about who I hang around. The company you keep determines a lot of what you do and shapes who you become; habits, thoughts, and views. This follows you to college because if you keep positive friends in high school you will keep positive friends in college thus helping you stay focused. Preparation is key. I would tell myself to stay organized and prepare ahead; do not wait until the last minute to do things. These things will help you become a more productive and well versed student in the college arena.

I would tell upcoming students and parents to alleviate enough time to visit each potentional university. This will allow you to revisit the universities if you are stuck between a couple. I would also advise them to sit in on a class of the students' major. This will give one a better understanding of the teaching style, class set up, and class size of the university. To ensure that the student makes the most of his or her college experience, I would recommend starting homework on the day it is assigned so that it is fresh in their mind. Considering starting is the hardest part of papers, essays, etc, it will also make it easier for the student to go back and finish up the paper since they will already have their ideas in organized. This will make the weekends a lot less stressful knowing that you will not need to do hours of homework Sunday night. I would also suggest going to the library to do homework because it is not as difficult to get off topic by watching television, getting on facebook, etc. When students do homework in their dorm room, it takes twice as long to finish.

I would highly encourage students to learn as much as possible about the colleges that they are interested in. Ask lots of questions, it could be anything from can Freshman have cars on campus to are the Professors are hard? Campus tours are also a great way to get to know colleges. Ask if you can sit in a class that pretains to something the student wants to study. This way the student will know if they like the classroom environment that they could be in for the next four years. Another good idea is to see if you can talk with a professor, they more than anyone will be able to help the student in their focus of study. The college environment is a huge part to finding the right college. Questions to ask would be is the area around campus safe, is there campus police patroling the area, what is the alcohol policy on campus, are fraternities a major part of the campus population, are there other student organizations based in the students intrests or are they in small majority, are there church services on campus? Ask these questions to get a rounded idea of a campus.

Choosing the right college is a big step. You want to make sure you fit in and enjoy your school because transferring schools can be a difficult process and. For me, Capital was the perfect fit because it was small yet still close enough to a big city (and my hometown). I didn't know anybody from my school going to Capital so it was a great way for me to meet new people and continue growing as a person. I got involved right away by joining my preferred political group, the dance team, Circle K, extra-curricular groups affiliated with my major, and finally a sorority. I met so many new people and felt very comfortable walking around campus. The teachers are wonderful and really take time to interact with the students. Visit any college you are interested in and take time to scope out the campus. Talk to students at those colleges and ask them what THEY like most and least about the schools in order to make your decision. Don't let the cost scare you. Many young kids are in debt after college graduation. Just work hard in school and you will obtain a successful job.

Stay true to yourself and do what you want to do. Chosing a school and your future is YOUR business, not anyone elses. That is probably the most important thing. The second most important thing is to not get stressed out about it. Just take time to do some research and think about what you consider most important in your secondary education and go with that. Go on visits to the colleges that fit most of the criteria and decide from there. If you end up not being happy there, leave. No one is forcing you to stay somewhere that you hate because it's not worth getting depressed over. As far as adjusting to school goes, try as many activities and organizations as possible. When you find something that you really enjoy and are passionate about, you will start to feel like you fit in instantly. You need to find a place where you belong on campus or you will feel lost with no direction. But do not stop at one organization. Increase your experiences and friend circle by pursuing anything you have always wanted to try. College success is easy, you just have to know the right tricks.

Growing up as a child, my parents always told me the importance of school and how we should always appreciate it. I see the struggles my parents face everyday and how much they suffer to bearly make it in life. As a child, I always pictured myself finishing high school and moving onto college to follow my career path in Criminal Justice. Once I graduated from high school, I knew what were my intentions in life were and how I would pursue my career, but unfortunately due to financial problems, I couldn’t proceed onto the next step of my path which was going to a four-year university outside of Chicago. I wanted to experience life on my own because there are so many things in life that exist on the opposite side of the world that a person does not know about until you actually experience it. Since I couldn’t afford many colleges, I decided to continue my education at a community school, with the mindset of developing new skills that can prepare for my future. These last two years I feel as that I not only grew in my weaknesses but developed and strengthen my skills.

Dear Andie Summer 2007: In the fall, you will be a senior in high school and you are determined to study music at Capital University, and I suggest that you triple the amount of time you spend practicing the drums. I suggest you take every available lesson and music class that you can fit into your schedule. I suggest that you start writing and recording more of your original music. On a more peronsal note, I believe you need to work on your social skills. Come out of your shell and start talking to anyone and everyone you know. I believe you need to start making friends and networking now, you never know where those ties may lead. I believe you need to create friendships with students already atteneding Capital, that way the transition from high school to college is not so difficult. I also suggest seriously consider living on campus and not commuting from home. It might cost a little extra, but it will not equal out to the experiences and relationships you would have if you did live in a dorm, at least for a semester. Never stop learning anything available to you.

As a freshman in college, I certainly don't know all there is to know about the functions of college, but I have learned a great deal in my time here. The first thing I would tell my high school self would be to invest more time in understanding how campus life works. As the oldest of three brothers I went into my first semester of college not knowing much of how my everyday life would soon be. Knowing this would've not only relieved stress, but allowed me to have more control over rooming, meal plans, arrival times, and perhaps even scheduling as well. Secondly, I would tell myself to try harder to earn scholarships and to apply for monetary opportunities with greater haste. The cost of college didn't set in for me until last semester and coming from a middle class family, we are stuck in a strange monetary situation. We don't have the funds to pay for every dollar of the hefty tuition, but we do have enough money to unfortunately evade some degree of financial aid. Being more aggressive with my scholarship search would have been a great help to me and my family.

Make sure that during the selection process, you take the time to visit every college you are considering, and not only speak to the tour guides and admissions counselors, but also other students who are on campus; they will give a more accurate picture of the real experience at that college. Be sure to also take into consideration the kind of reputation the college has, especially in the field that you are planning to enter; you don't want to get stuck with a degree that isn't worth much. When you've picked the place and made it there, to make the most of your experience make sure that you get to know your professors - they are not only good resources during your time at college, but can also be valuable in helping you to find a job. Also, remember that it takes awhile to get used to college - don't give up on a school after only a few weeks; it's possible you just haven't found your place yet. Above all, while it is important to study and remember that academics should always come first, don't be afraid to have fun and try new things!