Pittsburgh, PA
Carlow University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Carlow University

Erin

Carlow University has the Autopsy Program that is run by Joe Mancuso and Dr. Cyril H. Wecht M.D., J.D..

Carlow is in the heart of Oakland in Pittsburgh, but you would never know that it was there because of the size of it. When your on campus you feel as though your in a little town and when you step onto Fifth Ave. you know your in the big city; its the best of both worlds.

There are three things that I got out of my college experience. The first one is that you and you alone are responsible for your acedemic acheivement. The professors and other students are there at your disposal for your usage to gain more knowledge. Secondly, do not just take a class because other students said it was easy. What is easy for them might not be easy for you. Lastly, you have to remember that everyone in college is in the same boat as you are., this is a new experience for all. My four years at college made lasting impressions on me that I will have a hard time forgetting as well as friends that will last a lifetime. I understand who I am as a person and with the help I received, I am able to expand my knowledge and gain insight for my future endeavors.

Marissa

From my college experience, I have gained maturity, knowledge, and a sense of good time management. These skills are important to learn in life and by gaining them early in my life, I believe that I will have a better quality of life. I have gained maturity through my college experience because I was also attending my junior and senior year of high school as I was completing my two year A.S. degree. I had to mature enough to know what is of highest priority such as studying comes before hanging out with friends. I have gained further knowledge through the diverse classes that I have taken. Lastly, I have gained a good sense of time management due to having to balance high school and college classes and when to study for which class. As well as giving myself enough time to get between classes in a timely and orderly fashion.

Paula

Carlow University is a Catholic university best known for their strong sense of empowerment for women. The university is rather small, which allows for smaller class sizes and support for their students.

My experience at college has opened my eyes to many things. I have become more independent and responsible since living in the residence halls. No one wakes me up, tells me when to study, or orders me to clean my room, so I am responsible for everything I do. With all of the classes and other aspects constantly occuring in my life, I have also become more responsible for managing my time. College has been incredibly valuable to me because I finally feel that I am actively learning. I have a constant hunger for knowledge, which inspires me to attend and participate in every class. The people I met have provided me with a better perspective of how people are in the real world, compared to my peers in a high school setting.

The only minor annoyance at Carlow is the overwhelming price to attend. I have to look for scholarships and financial support constantly.

Deanna

The kindness of all the professors when a student is in need. If someone is having trouble there are all kinds of ways to get help without the need to pay. Everyone on campus is like a family with calling eachother by their first names with no worries of disrespect. Carlow is a school for everyone to enjoy themselves, and find lots of friends.

College has changed my point of view of how the world works. Starting college was a huge change for me, but I have come to love the environment that is Carlow University. The fear of college and not passing was great when I first started. When i met my professors' they made me feel like I was at home. There was times when I needed help in some of my classes, and they instantly were there to give me guidance. College helped me become someone entirely new. I can start up conversations with people in a more sophisticated manner that can keep them interested in what I have to say. I feel as though there is more opportunities opening up for me as I continue on my path to enlightenment. To obtain my education is my goal to keep going with college. The environment has helped me to accept difficulties as they come instead of worrying about them before hand. When I finish college I plan to get a job in Graphic Design at an advertising agency. Everything I learn in college will enable me to become closer to obtaining my dreams for the future. Education is amazing to achieve!

The type of student to not attend this college is one who doesn't want to have personal attention toward them. Carlow pays attention to each student equally so if they want to not have to participate they should not attend this school.

TIFFANY

If given the chance to go back knowing what I know now, I would look at my freshman year as my discovery year, go in undecided and give myself 1 full year of Core classes and a class or 2 directed towards majors which I am interested. Instead, of the constant changing of majors because it is easy to lose interest. I would tell myself to slow down and enjoy my senior year, not take on more than I can before leaving for school. It would be important to stress to myself live in the moment not in the future, because the future isn't promised. Work hard today because there should be no regrets of what I didn't do today. Live for the moment, no regrets!

Carlow is a small college with a big school facility. The things(resources) that are offered at Carlow you would expect to find at a big school with a large student body. The small class sizes allow for better teacher student ratios, which for some like myself is a better way to learn. I like the support that I receive from my professors and their ability to tel me where to find different resources on campus.

The worse thing about Carlow is the fee for Parking Passes. This can make getting an education even more expensive. Being a commuter is hard enough without having to deal with paying for a semesters worth of parking for 1 class. With its location in the heart of Oaland surrounded by larger colleges it is hard to find parking on the street without having to hike over a mile or so.

In my first college experience, right after high school, I struggled to find a place where I felt truly comfortable. I was immature, and as a result, ended up wasting much of my college time on things like drinking and partying when I should have been studying. While I am able to say that I made some great friends during those times, I have no memory of my academic experience. Now, my education is the most important thing to me. I have a family that I care about. I want to get an education so that I can support them and show them that it pays to persevere, no matter how hard it may seem. If I could go back in time and talk to myself about college life, I would encourage myself to spend time visiting schools. I would make sure to explain that it IS hard work, but it is absolutely worth it. But my most important advice would be to ask for help, no matter how insignificant the task may seem.

Charlene

I am a senior in college at age 59. If I new 45 years ago what I know now, I would have approached high school differently. My first decision that delayed me becoming a college student was my teen pregnancy. I was 8 months pregnant when I graduated as an honor student in 1969. I love my daughter, but I should have waited to get married and have children. I was an honor student throughout high school, but I prepared to get married and leave my alcoholic mother, instead of going to college. My goal should have been to attend college and work for a better life than my mother was able to give me. I waited until my husband died and my autistic son graduated from school before I started college. I should have put myself and my future first and attended college at age 18 and not 51. I should have concentrated more on academics and college boards and less on getting married and having a baby as a high school senior. I should have seen college as my ticket away from my mother's alcoholism instead of choosing teen marriage and pregnancy as my only way out!!

The food selection is not very conducive to the needs of diabetics. The campus parking availability is extremely bad, especially for handicapped students. I will say that the Disabilities department has done as much as possible to assist me with this problem by scheduling my classes where parking is less of a problem. The housekeeping department has been very disappointing over my last eight years here. However, I will say that I have recently seen improvement since the new supervisor took over.

Every instructor or professor that I have had during my college experience at Carlow has been very helpful and encouraging. I have encountered very difficult situations during this time, including the illness and subsequent death of my mother. They even kept in touch with me when I had to take a semester from school. I do not think I could have survived this period and remained successful in school without their support and encouragement. They have also assisted me with any needs I have related to achieving success as a non traditional student. I applaud Carlow for their support!

Lindsay

Carlow is a school that is based a lot on it's Mercy background, it gives you a great education with involving service into a lot of aspects.

I would tell myself that everything was going to be ok in the end. I learned my first semester that sometimes you have to say no to going out when you know you have work to do or you have to study for a test. Because those other people that chose to go out in the middle of the week aren't going to do nearly as well as you did. But you have to put in the time and want to do well so you can succeed. The homesickness goes away eventually; plus there are other people feeling the same way. But most importantly don't judge your roommate by what you see on Facebook because she's not nearly as bad as you thought she was going to be. In fact you two will become best friends and tell each other everything and she's really what helps you get through college.

I think the worst thing about my school is that nothing goes on past nine o'clock in the dorm and that there isn't many fun things that come to campus for us to do.

Tara

Carlow University offers a very prestigious nursing program, as well as a successful education program.

Carlow students are ethnically diverse and the majority of them are women.

I would tell myself to consider all of my options more carefully. As a current university freshman I'm beginning to realize what my true passion in life is, but even as a high school senior my mind was clouded and overwhelmed by the concept of college. After my first semester I've really able to take a step back and look at things in a new perspective. I see now what I didn't see before. So if it were possible to go back in time I would tell myself to follow my heart and trust where it leads me. I'd say that first and foremost happiness is most important, and in many cases it will lead to success. Success, in my mind, then and now, is the ultimate goal and what every person should strive for.

It is a small campus, it offers a lot academically, but there is not much of a social life.

It's science building and nursing facilities.

I would tell myself to choose a college that is focused highly on academics. A college that offers me a lot in my major. One, that will help me find possible job oppurtunities in my senior year of college. A campus with a smaller amount of students, so the classes are smaller, and the professors can help each student individually. A campus with a little more to offer when it comes to social life, and possibly a co-ed school. A campus with a football team, for sporting events to go to would also have been something I would have told myself. Just a college that focuses on helping me do the best that I can.

Carlow University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.