Carnegie Mellon University

« See more reviews of Carnegie Mellon University

Housing and Dining rips off everyone, even the school (e.g. when you order catering and it's pretty not allowed not to use school catering). Pittsburgh food generally tastes bad and CMU was the worst of the schools I visited (over 15). A lot of the staff are unhappy with their jobs = unfriendly and even they think the prices at the stores are ridiculous and laugh at you for not buying off campus. But the transportation system sucks = annoiying to go places. Financial aid doesn't award much (least of my applications). Doesn't guarantee to meet your need.

the worst thing about my campus is half of people. There really are some amazing people on my campus but there are also lots "Mal-Socially adjusted freaks" that really don't know how to socialize and have fun. There are many people that enjoy being odd and eccentric. Then again there are also some characters on this campus that are hilarious and great people to be with. Also the academic rape is never a good times, classes are very hard at CMU and require alot of work

It is very easy to get brainwashed into the "I'm going to a great school and am going to get a great job and make great money when I'm done" mentality that exists in the culture here. The prospect of getting a degree for the sake of acquiring money as a means of raising one's status undermines the development of true passion and ingenuity for a trade or a cause.

Students are too focused and dissatisfied with academics/careers that they do not stop and consider what they are gaining in terms of life experience. Things can always be better, but not many stop and acknowledge the good of CMU until they have moved on to another institution.

In my program I was particularly dissapointed by the faculty's reluctance to accept student opinions and allow students to explore topics and projects that interested them. My colleagues and I suffered a great deal of resistance when we attempted to take on a project like this.

The campus housing and dining programs are generally lacking. The dining oppurtunities on campus are not only rather limited but expensive as well. There is a definite shortage of housing for underclassmen, as well a good amount of dorms that are not very nice.

My school has a very small focus on social life. Though there are several thousand students that attend, it is a small group of perhaps only 200 or so who "party". Also, there is a very small group of attractive women there.

Sometimes the administration (not the professors, the administration) doesn't like to listen to the students. When we didn't want them to install Walking to the Sky, they ignored the whole student body and went ahead anyway.

The worst thing about my school is probabaly how busy people sometimes seem to get. It can get pretty stressful but, at the same time, you always want to do more and don't have enough time for it.

The worst thing is definitely the social scene. This is kind of a nerd school, so lots of people aren't that interested in making friends and hanging out. Lots of students keep to themselves.