Carnegie Mellon University

« See more reviews of Carnegie Mellon University

Choosing the right school is hard, but in the end it has to be a choice for you. A lot of people will give you advice, some of it good, most of it bad. What they have to say is beneficial, but more beneficial is what you think about it. Don't let other people make your decision for you, because ultimately you're the one who'll be spending four years at the school you choose. When I applied to college, I had only one goal: go out-of-state. I like that my search was so open-ended; I got to visit a lot of places and see what I liked and what I didn't. My choice was made as soon as I walked onto my school's campus. It was the first place I felt at home; the first place whose paths I could see myself walking to class. It had all the right qualities: lots of extracurriculars, good class sizes, well-known professors, and it was away from home. That's what college becomes: a home away from home. It just has to be somewhere you can be comfortable.

I haven't been in too many college experiences, I graduated high school in 2009. I went to a vocational school my junior and senior year of high school. I have been working in a salon doing hair. I want to get a business degree, and further my education. I do know when I've visited colleges that I've learned an unbelievable amount on differnent aspects of life . You have to be focused on why your there, and realize that college is'nt about having the most fun. My goals are to be the best that i can be and to get the best education, I can contain. The more education a person has, the more opportunities are given to them. Education is so valuable to have because no one can take it away from you, you will know what you know no matter what! I have the drive and the determination to go the extra mile, and in college your going to have to take the extra mile more than once. I hope that i will succeed with greatness, and love every minute of it!

I've taken classes and I've done projects. I've done the homework and taken the tests. They have taught me much and in no way do I doubt that I have become more educated than I could ever imagine. However, even with all the typical tasks of a college student I think what I have gotten out of college goes past that. To me college was an awakening, a realization that the reality of the world was a lot more different than I had pictured when I was in high school. I caught my first glimpse of what it was like to shoulder all my responsibilties by myself. I made my own decisions. It was no longer about what looks best to wear or when was I going to meet friends. It was about, "how do I allocate my time today?". The steps I need to take to achieve success are known, and experience has been my teacher in following through with my goals. With what I've learned through experience and through myself I am confident in tackling tomorrow.

Knowing what I do now about the independency in college, I would advise my high school self to begin understanding that education is truly based on your own determination and willingness to learn. Although there will be many great resources available, ambitious students, and knowledgeable professors to help you, it is up to you to push yourself to learn. However, I would also tell myself that I should not expect learning to be perfect. Mistakes are a major part of learning, and especially of life. Therefore, I hope that I could have seen that it would be inevitable, and also reasonable to make mistakes while transitioning into college. The mistakes I will make are only worth it if I learn from them, and push myself to work harder. This self-realization will help with the first piece of advice to push myself to work harder. After all, education is an individual experience that lasts much longer past the college years.

I have been privledged to attend three excellent campuses in the Central Ohio area. My college experience has allowed me to expand my career from social work and psychotherapy into nursing. I have been awarded the opportunity to learn with a diverse range of professionals in many different areas of expertise. Had I not attended college, I would have missed the opportunity to connect with this wonderful group of educators and fellow students. The boundaries of my education have been expanded in ways I could not imagine before I attended. Not only has enriching my education allowed my salary to grow, it has also opened doors for other experiences, such as travelling to underprivledge areas to provide care. The college experience has allowed me to expand my horizons and become a well-rounded, knowledgeable, and compassionate caregiver to those in need of assistance, now in social work and soon in medicine.

it has been three weeks since i started college. However, it's great feeling that i gained lots of experience in this three weeks. being in college help me grow more in my life. i go to Community College of Denver. CCD have enormous diversity around the compuss. i never felt like home. people in CCD are very helpful. ccd is helping me prepare for my four years degree. they have great solution for student who is willing to achieve their goal. they have many program that will help students to get great experience out of it. but i am looking forward to get involve in many other programs and gain more experience. i am taking Associate degree in science and planning to transfer to University of Colorado Denver. and major in medical and miner in doctor. thank you so much for taking time to read this essay. and i will look forward to hear from you..

To students-- Don't start or continue to compare yourself to your peers. This really is your decision and your decision only. It's not about what college is ranked the highest or "sounds" the best based on other peoples' experiences. In the end, it really is what you make of your own college experience that counts anyway. Attend the college you want to go to not only for your future but for yourself-- you'll appreciate it as time goes on. To parents-- This is one of the toughest decisions a kid has to make, as I'm sure many of you already know. Be supportive, don't make demands, and try not to set limits. It breaks a kid's heart to be accepted into a school and not be able to go because of financial issues, overprotective parents, or just plain close-mindedness. (By the way, I meant to select the 18-20 age range on the survey, not 28 and over.)

The main thing that I have gotten out of my college experience is self discovery. With every seemingly meaningless task or event that I attend to, I end up learning so much. Not only do I learn about the event itself, but I also learn about my personal interests. College had been more of a social experience than an academic experience. Even though I am paying for a degree, I am getting so much more. Because most people at Carnegie Mellon live on campus, we have become enclosed in our own Carnegie Mellon bubble with its own social norms and mores. This has been the most valuable part of my expereince at college, because this can be directly related to the future and the workforce. In the future, everyone becomes enclosed in their own work bubble. Having the skills to learn and adapt quickly to an enclosed environment is important beyond belief.

Don't let the money aspect scare you off. I was the first to attend college in my family, and when we saw tuition costs I cried for about a week and was convinced I simply wasn't going, even if I did manage to pass my SATs and get in to my dream school. I somehow made it through, applied, and got in. I have a distinct memory of literally jumping for joy at the sight of the "big" envelope from my dream school, and then the sinking feeling when I realized I would have to turn them down because I couldn't afford it. However, once I actually opened the envelope, I saw my financial aid package, which was much better than I could have imagined. Now I'm a sophomore and I absolutely love my school, it's a perfect fit. My biggest advice would be to never let the numbers deter you from at least applying, you could be pleasantly surprised.

Overall, I have gotten so much out of my experience in college. I am so happy with my choice at Carnegie Mellon. It has pushed me to be as successful as I possibly can be and has allowed me to stay involved in extracurricular activites in school and outside of school. I would not choose to go to school anywhere else because Carnegie Mellon has allowed me to become an independent person and grow as an individual. Although the academics can be difficult at times, it is a great experience to be challenged. With Carnegie Mellon located in the city of Pittsburgh, I have been able to have numerous opportunites for internships and volunteer jobs to help out the environment and the community. I can only hope that through this experience, I will be able to succeed in the next three years and be prepared for life afterwards.