Jefferson City, TN

Carson-Newman University

« See more reviews of Carson-Newman University

There are many things that I have gotten out of my college experience. I have been in college for a year and a half, and I have already learned so much. When I first started college in 2009 I did not know what to expect and I did not take it as seriously as I should have. This resulted in me losing my scholarship I had, and making it a huge financial burden on my whole family. After that, I started to really take my classes serious and I started to really enjoy going to school. What I felt about college has completely changed and attending college so far has made me a better person. It has given me a better work ethic, and it has made me want to better myself. I plan on continuing college and earning a Bachelor's Degree. College has been so valuable for me because I will be the first one in my immediate family to graduate from college, and that is extremely important to me. My college experience has been great so far, and I cannot wait to continue my education and further myself through continuing college and earning a degree.

If I could go back to high school there are three major changes I would make in both how my first semester went as well as when I went through the choosing process of what college to go to. First off one thing I would have changed from my first semester is I would have tried to get more involved in various activaties. It is a fine line between over loading yourself and then not doing much of anything. Getting involved helps make the time go faster and helps to relive the stress of the homework load. The second thing is obvious and almost every college student will tell you this do not procrastinate it is the worst thing you can do. As for choosing a college the thing I would change would have been its not nessecary to go half way across the country to get away from home. You may think that you want to leave the state so you can be away from your parents and have freedom living at college you have that freedom even if the school is only an hour away from home. Another thing is pay attention to cost especially if your paying.

To highschool Tori. Do not stress yourself out over the little things, they do not make a difference in the long run. Do not worry about having your entire future planned out, take life day by day; it's more enjoyable that way. Prepare yourself for making new friends that you can depend on and branch outside of your comfort zone; it's alright to be scared, but don't let that limit possibilities. Learn how to deal with conflict. The world does not revolve around you and the world is not all rainbows and ponies. You will encounter people you do not get along with, but you need to learn the best way to approach conflict. It is time for you to stop avoiding confrontation and face things like an adult. Sometimes you have to be the bigger person. Swallowing your pride is not fun, but thats usually what it takes to solve conflicts. You can do this, this life things isn't as hard as everyone says it is. Finally, enjoy every day you are given. It is truly a gift to be in college and an athlete and do not take that for granted.

I am a much stronger person because of my college experience. I started college at a private school about three hours from home. I had to live on campus, share a room with a stranger, cook and clean for myself, and take responsibility for myself. I didn't have a mom to wake up in the middle of the night and tell that I was sick and ask "What should I do?" I had to learn to fend for myself. I learned that I was a much stronger person than I had given myself credit for. When I transferred to a schoolcloser to home, I realized just how much I did for myself when I was away. Whether I was doing laundry, going shopping, or studying for a big test, I made sure to do it the right way. Besides the surviving on my own part of life, college has taught me that an education is really priceless. No matter what you learn, there will always be more to learn. My college experience has been valuable because I realize just how important it is to learn as much as you can and then in turn teach others what you know.

When applying to colleges, one of the most important things is to keep track of all your documents and have everything mailed in by the due date. A visit to the campus is also necessary, and if you can, try going on a non-visiting day. This allows you to get a feel of what the campus is like the majority of the time. Another good idea is to stay a night in one of the dorms with a student. If they are majoring in the same thing you want to major in, ask them to show you around their department. You may even get to meet some of the professors. Time management is the key to making the most of your college experience. It can be difficult to balance homework, friends, and sleep, but if you do it right these can be the best years of your life. If you make sure to set aside specific times for sleep, eating, and homework, then you'll have plenty of time to make friends and spend time with them. I've made all of my best friends at school. Keep a positive attitude and you'll have a great college experience.

The advie I have for parents is to be there for their children and help them out, but let your child pick the school and major and surrport them no matter what thier choice is. I adive students to reach for their goals. Never give up! Even if you reach for that school you always wanted to go to since freshman year of high school, but find you changed your mind. Do not be discourage. Just keep trying, as long as you try you will find the school that best fits you. To make the best of the college experience is to try to find a find a good healthy blance of school, work, a socical life, and sleep (health). Do get involed and always try your best. As long as you feel you have done your best you will awlays feel happy about your college experience. If you do get stressed out there is always help on any campus. Do not be afaid to ask or seek for help. If you are willing to help your self people are going to be willing to help you. I wish you the best and remeber always follaw your heart.

Students should go and visit the college before they apply or before they commit to the school. While there, they should speak with Financial Aid in order to see how much help they will need. The earlier you start looking the better. In order to make the most of your experience while in college, I suggest that you do every possible social activity possible on campus. Make lots of friends and have study groups with people in your class. Go to all the sporting events and show your team spirit. Also, never be afraid to go to your professor with a problem... you might just benefit from it. Parents, encourage your student with their college decision. Help them to be informed. Once your child is at school, always be encouraging. Never put your child down despite mistakes. They have to learn how to grow up on their own. Do your best to help them however you can. Negativity is a definite NO NO!!!!! All that will do is stress out your child and they will not appreciate the added stress.

Hey, Hannah. I know you're pretty nervous about college. All these people are telling you different things, and you're not sure what to think about any of it. DO NOT WORRY. You'll be just fine. I know you'll keep up the good work as far as studying goes. You've always been the sort of person to give your best at everything, but in the hustle and bustle of academics and class schedules and grade point averages, please try to live a little. Reach out to other people when they offer a kind word or a smile. Seize the day. Do more than just read books and complete homework assignments. I want you to look back at college and know without a doubt that it was a time of growth for you. Don't hold back due to fear of failure or looking silly. Everyone looks silly at some point, but the silliest-looking people of all are those who fill their lives of up with what-ifs and regrets. I don't want that for you. I want you to have a life rich with diverse experiences. You'll learn more that way.

When I was in high school I was always focused on getting the best grades and maintaining honor roll. That might not be the best mindset though. We should be focusing on learning instead of achieving a certain grade. Enjoy learning and having the opportunity to learn, because there are many people in the world that would happily be in your shoes. You should try your hardest with school, and if you do so then be proud of whatever you earn. Know that in a few years it won’t matter what grade you got in a certain class, so don’t stress about it. That’s another thing I’m still learning. I recently got a D in one of my college classes, and part of me is still stressing from it, because I have never gotten a D before. I should be proud of that D though, because I worked hard for that D. I went to many study sessions to try to understand the concepts better, took practice tests, and made study guides. Honestly I worked harder for that D; than I did the classes I got a B in.

If I could go back and tell myself about college life, I would mainly discuss the worth of high school. There were few things I took away from high school, including being able to write an essay and time management. The things that I thought would follow me forever, the important things in high school, did not. I no longer know who Jillian is dating, or if Abbey is still having drug problems. The most important battle that two of my friends were having over a teacher they liked then seem so petty now. I no longer know anything about the social athmosphere of my old high school. I would go back and tell myself to stop paying attention to the shallow culture of pubescent chit chat and more to things that I could use. I should have learned how to manage my finances and my health. Most importantly, I should have known not to waste my time, effort, and emotional stability on a boy when just a month in college I would find myself a man. High school realy doesn't matter.