Castleton, VT

Castleton University

« See more reviews of Castleton University

My advice for parents and/or students who are looking to make the most of their college experience would be to get to know as many people as possible. I go to a small school and so it's not hard to know nearly everyone, but that is a good thing. When i first got to school i had a terrible roommate, and so i walked into the closest room near me with an open door and just started talking with those girls, and that has made all the difference. I am now best friends with those girls, and many others because I took the initative to go and meet others. There will be people nearvous to meet others so you may need to walk up and introduce yourself, and my advice would be to do that right away. College can be scary at first, but when you are friends with many people who live right near you, then it goes a lot better.

There are a few factors that affect finding the right college for a student which include the cost/financial aid, the majors offered, location, and simply going to visit a college and getting the feeling of it. a student and their parents want to be able to pay for college so looking at the price and what finanical aid is available is important. In my situation i knew what i wanted to do, so i was looking for a college that had my major and was a good program. some students want to go away others want to stay close to home so finding how far you want to go makes an impact. the other factor is simply going to colleges and failing in love with the college that feels best for the student. this is my advice to all parents and students, i hope it helps.

Stop, look more into the schools and visit more schools than you think is necessary. Senor year can also make a difference in how good your high school gpa is, dont let it slip just because you are almost done. Just because a school is semi-close to home, does not mean it is the perfect school, going to a school a couple thousand miles from home might be perfect so go check it out! Also think about those things that make you happy, remember when catching bugs and snakes and lizards was the best thing in the world? Maybe because a zoology degre would be perfect! Then going to grad school and focusing on herpetology will be wicked easy! Good luck and focus on school.

I have learned a lot about my self during my three semesters as a college student. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student I would tell myself to try harder. I’ll be honest I did not apply myself during high school When I got to college I quickly realized that if I did not apply myself I would not be successful. The prof that I have started applying myself in college is there! In my three college semesters I have only received one B and have an accumulative GPA of a 3.9. I have received a 4.0 in my last two semesters. So, I would say the one big piece of advice that I would give myself is apply myself to your school work.

I would give myself the advice to really be prepared more. My first college semester I was not prepared at all. I wish that the high school I went to would have gotten me more ready for college. My second semester of school was a lot better. I was more ready and already knew what was expected for college. I would have studied a lot more. College is nothing like high school and I feel that more high school seniors think that it will be like high school, which is not the truth at all. The transition was a little hard at first but making friends and having a couple of friends here at the school made it a lot easier.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school-self knowing what I know now, I would tell me to get serious. I decided a little too late in high school that I wanted to achieve great things. However it did not stop me from being accepting into college and being on Dean?s List it just postponed them. If I could tell my high school-self to take school seriously I think I may have been able to accomplish much more at this point in my life. I am extremely proud of what I have managed to do on my own but I know that had I taken school seriously I would have lived a less stressful life after high school.

The adivce that I would give myself is to always be open and make as my friends as I could. As long as youhave friends in college you will have a great time. I know that my roommate didn't have friends when she came here and she hated her time here and went home all the time. Now that she has friends she doesn't mind staying here. I know that I made some pretty good friends right away and that I have always enjoyed being at college because of that. I have made good friends there that I know I can always count on and that will be life long friends.

I would say that find a college that suits you the best. If you like big colleges then go to a big college, but if you want a small college then go to a small college. Cost is very important too! To make the most out of your college experience, work as hard as you can to earn good grades. Don't sell yourself short. However, you also want some sort of social life too. Meet as many new people as you can. Make the most of it because you will only have one chance to do it.

I feel it is important to really consider what you are looking for in a school. Don't go to school and mindlessly choose a major without really considering what YOU (the student) want. College is expensive and you should get all you can for what you are paying. Consider size, location, majors, future opportunities, communities, and more. Taking everything into account to begin with will save you the trouble of attending a school you hate and having to transfer.

My advice would be to make sure that the advisors at the school know what they are doing and know the direction that your child is going in. Make sure the school is what the student wants but also agree with the parent. Find a school that really meets the students interests. Students should live on campus at least the first year to really get the college experience then move off campus to find out what it is like to really live on your own.