Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

Race and Such: Its like an 80% white campus or something crazy like that. Its also in the rural south. I came from a 60% white high school, there was a good balance of minorities and I was in an urban area. I saw and heard a lot of things that offended me but I also saw a lot of love of people and acceptance, it just depends on the people you choose to hang around with. I will say this, lost of confederate flags around. They see it as a pride thing, I see it as a symbol of racism, so whatever floats your boat I guess. Out of place: Goth, I can honestly say I've seen 2 goths on campus and they both stuck out like a sore thumb. Also, anyone extremely cosmopolitian like Sex in the City or the male equivalent. Wear to class: Anything, sweats, jeans, skirts, makeup/no makeup, sports jersies, band shirts whatever. Name brands usually on greeks like polo, vinyard vines, vera bradley, but otherwise normal american clothing nothing special. Four tables of students: Freshmen, Freshmen, Freshmen, Athletes that live on campus From: Uh, South Carolina, its a public school....I'm from NJ and there were a LOT of people from new jersey there. Other than that, Ohio, Maryland, NC, GA, FL, TN and MA. Politically Aware: We had Edwards, Obama, McCain and Ron Paul all come speak on hour campus. Even Ron Paul had a decient crowd. Its SC so when its an election year, people come to Clemson. SC in a big state in party primaries. Edwards is even from the neighboring town (born and raised not now). Good mix of political views, even though you are in rural south. One would think all right, but no the college campus factor balances it out. Also not as left as most college campuses, a really good mix.

One thing that I love about college is that cliques no longer exist. There is no social tier of who's the coolest, prettiest, etc. I don't think there is a particular type of person that would feel out of place at this school because there are so many different types of people here. The majority of students here are white, catholic, republicans that most likely come from a well-off family. There are people that dress nicely for class and there are others who just wear something comfortable. Most girls wear norts (Nike running shorts) and a t-shirt or jeans and boots with a cute shirt. The guys will either look super fratty (button down, Sperry's, some even wear blazers) or they'll show up to class in jeans and a t-shirt. Different types of students definitely interact, but you are naturally gravitated to the people who share the same interests as you. One social barrier here that really bothers me is that they separate Greek life into whites and African-Americans. Clemson is about 65% in-state. Being from Philadelphia, I thought I was going to stick out, but there are a lot of kids from the north. There isn't a large barrier between north and south either. I have friends from all over the country. Engineers like to brag about how much money they'll be making in the future, but they deserve it because their classes are pretty difficult.

1. Pretty much every student can find their own niche in Clemson. We have all sorts of clubs and groups for all walks of life. 2. A student that didn't like to meet new people would definitely feel out of place here at Clemson. There are new people to meet literally everywhere. 3. Most students wear tshirts and jeans to class, or athletic shorts during the warmer months to make frisbee after class a lot easier. 4. Yes, I know people who differ ideologically greatly, and are still good friends. 5. Well, while clemson does not have major social cliques, and anybody can get into any of them, you would have your fraternity brothers, your sorority sisters, your average joe's (80% of campus), and a very very small proportion of people that prefer to be alone rather than at a large table of friends. 6. Most of the students are from right here in SC! And, you can visit them at their houses during school breaks! 7. Middle-class 8. Yes, I have political debates with lots of people frequently, and the ones that I have see are mostly right, but some are more left. 9. It is in the student's mind how much money they will make, but a lot of students care more about doing what they love than doing what makes a lot of money.

I was heavily involved with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes at Clemson. It was the largest organization on campus and the largest FCA in the Nation. Quiet students that are loners and like time to themselves would feel out of place at Clemson. If you can find your niche, Clemson is a great place. If you are a person that doesn't like to get out and experience life and what Clemson has to offer, it's probably not the place for you. We wear t-shirts, shorts, or jeans. We are very casual. We were clemson t-shirts a lot throughout the week as well. Of course, different types of students interact. Clemson is a very inclusive culture. Most Clemson students are in-state but there is a good portion of students from the east coast. The prevalent financial background is middle class society. Students at Clemson are very politically aware. We had Barack Obama, John Kerry, Mitt Romney, and other candidates make a stop in Clemson for a rally. There are a lot of conservative students at Clemson but there are also a decent number of moderate to liberal students as well.

I don't think that any student would feel out of place here at clemson, we have it all. People from other countries, bisexuals, lesbians, blacks, whites, hispanics, southerners, northerns, etc. Most students wear pants (jeans and/or slacks) and a shirt (t-shirt, sweatshirt, etc) to class, although you wouldn't be looked down upon if you wore something else. Some people go more comfortable and wear pajama bottoms to class and others dress up and look extra nice. In general, I don't think that different types of students interact but they're not against it, they just aren't given the opportunity so they don't interact. Most Clemson students are straight out of South Carolina, but there are a lot of people from Atlanta as well. However, the out-of-state ratio is increasing substantially over the years. From my experience, it seems that many people come from lower-income families as the majority of south carolinians I know are here with a scholarship. Most students politically aware and active, I couldn't say what party most are involved with.

C-L-E-M-S-O-N! The students are happy, honest and hardworking. We work hard, party harder. The general population is preppy and well off, but there are some exceptions. For the most part students dress decently for class. Sweats are okay but girl sometimes dress nicer like a sundress and rainbows. Students are involved in EVERYTHING. Can't find something you like in the 300+ organizations we have? It is so easy to make your own! If there were four tables in the dining hall there would be... the jocks, the greeks, the future presidents with the MRS degree girls (maybe 20% of the girls at Clemson, most are really motivated and driven though) and then the pre-med/engineering who study all the time and can only eat and run back to the library! Even though we may have those 4 tables, there would be a TON of more tables (hopefully at Harcombe breakfast because it is AMAZING) and you would see a lot of interaction between those tables.

The only kind of students that would feel out of place are those that don't enjoy meeting people or who are terribly shy. Some students can be extremely religous, but if your not its not a problem. Students are politically aware and and conversations can spot up everywhere. I would say most of Clemson students are a little on the wealthy side, especially with the out of state prescence, but that shouldn't bother you. There are part time jobs avalable in and around Clemson (even though pay is not that great in SC). Clemson students just like to have a good time, and be successful while doing it. Different types of students do interact. in my fraternity alone we have like 20 states represented. The typical thing in Clemson to wear is the polo with crokees and flip flops, which was weird to me at first, but its kind of funny and easy to join in if you would like.

You will find clicks at Clemson, just as easily and realistically you would/will find at ANY other University in the country despite popular belief. At Clemson, it comes down to the Greeks, Athletes, and regulars. However, just because people are associated with one particular group does not mean they won't hang out with others. You will see plenty of interaction between black/white, athlete/greek, etc. You will find that most out-of-state kids, who are from the North, come from strong socioeconomic backgrounds, although that's a bit obvious considering it costs close to 30k to come from out-of-state anyways. Once people separate from their parents for long enough, they begin to form their own political views but it's a southern school so you will find a strong abundance of RIGHT winged people

Like any large university, there are many types of students, many that defy classification. But there are many groups of like minded people, whether its politically motivated, religiously oriented or intellectually coherent, that draw distinct groups together. Though interaction between students is some what limited to who your hallmates are and what class you have, at least during meal time. You see a slew of economic levels here, from less affulent families having a first generation college student to more fiscally stable families who hold a long tradition of Clemson graduates in the family. And it has come up as to how much we will make, depending on whether we go to grad school or not and how the economy will get better or worse for the college educated.

My experiences have been wonderful we all tend to get along fine. A student that couldn't speak English would feel out of place. Most students wear Kakis or jeans when it's cold and shorts, polo shirts, and sandals when it's warm. All different types of students interact everyday. You have your fraternity guys, your athletes, your agriculture kids, and your group of people who didn't do any of these. Most students are from the state of South Carolina. Middle to high class backgrounds are most prevalent. Students are very aware of politics and most are very conservative. For the most part students don't talk about how much they'll be making one day.